Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TLDR: It was a short test, but I think I will have a new carry gun as soon as I find spare mags.

First, I have a caveat, as I often do: I'm a middle-aged paper-pusher. I'm not a police officer, I'm not former military, I'm not a competitive shooter. Just a guy who carries a gun. Please take that into account in deciding how much weight to put into my review of the Shield Plus.

Second, I'm not ordinarily one to run out and buy the latest and greatest pistol. I'm generally not interested in being a beta tester and have always been perfectly happy with older, proven designs. With those things said, I've owned a Shield 1.0 since about August of 2017 (I think it was). As of this writing, I've carried that Shield for about 3.5 years and have somewhere around 750-800 rounds through it. It's been an absolutely fantastic carry gun, and 100% reliable. And that's precisely what I mean. That Shield 1.0 has fed, fired, and ejected every single round I've ever put through it. I've often said that my Shield "told my G19 to sit down and shut up... and she did." Anyway, I could never see enough difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 to justify the cost of upgrading, especially when my 1.0 ran so well.

Enter the Shield Plus.... I couldn't justify the upgrade to a 2.0, but then the Shield Plus came out with its 13 round mag. I thought, "Hold up a second. A Shield with an extra 5 rounds? With a pistol and two spare mags, I'd go from 25 rounds to 40? And my current holsters and mag pouches should still fit?" So I bought one and yes, I know that: (a) I paid the New Model Price; and (b) I might be a beta tester this time around. Still, I stopped at my LGS and they had the No Thumb Safety model, which was exactly what I wanted, at a reasonable price. Not dirt cheap, but reasonable. I took it to my gunsmith and had my night sights moved over from my Shield 1.0. (And FYI - it was a clean, perfect-fit swap.)

Ammo supplies being what they are, I knew I would probably not be able to replace what I shot up, at least not any time soon. Also, spare Shield Plus mags are currently made of unobtainium. A few days ago, I loaded up the magazines. The mags are not nearly as hard to load as regular Shield magazines. Yesterday, I field stripped it, blew some compressed air in it to get out any dust or manufacturing debris (of which I saw none), and put a drop of oil here and there.

I finally got out to a buddy's range today. I shot:
100 rounds of 124 grain Fiocchi FMJ - result: 100% fed, fired and ejected
50 rounds of 124 grain Speer Gold Dots - result: 100% fed, fired and ejected

The Shield Plus ran like a top right out of the box. I didn't take my 1.0 to shoot it side by side with the Plus, and maybe I should have. I'm no trigger snob, and I've never been bothered by the Shield trigger. With that said, the Shield Plus does not have a 1911 trigger and never will without aftermarket intervention. However, the trigger was certainly crisp enough for me.

My one and only possible complaint, and it's really a minor one: The new trigger design rubbed by trigger finger a little.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I got to hold one today at the LGS, I like the trigger a lot better than the hinged ones on the older M&P models. The height of the grip with the 10 round mag compared to my Glock 43 was minor. The P365 always seemed too small for me so 10 rounds in a package slightly bigger than my 43 seems like it would be a good fit.

Unfortunately they probably won't be adding one anytime soon to the rental cabinet at the indoor range I frequent, I am sure they would rather sell all they could get. I am a little past buying something that I haven't shot yet, maybe I will luck out at someone will bring one to the range to try out.

·
Polymerlicious!
6,192 Posts
TLDR: It was a short test, but I think I will have a new carry gun as soon as I find spare mags.

First, I have a caveat, as I often do: I'm a middle-aged paper-pusher. I'm not a police officer, I'm not former military, I'm not a competitive shooter. Just a guy who carries a gun. Please take that into account in deciding how much weight to put into my review of the Shield Plus.

Second, I'm not ordinarily one to run out and buy the latest and greatest pistol. I'm generally not interested in being a beta tester and have always been perfectly happy with older, proven designs. With those things said, I've owned a Shield 1.0 since about August of 2017 (I think it was). As of this writing, I've carried that Shield for about 3.5 years and have somewhere around 750-800 rounds through it. It's been an absolutely fantastic carry gun, and 100% reliable. And that's precisely what I mean. That Shield 1.0 has fed, fired, and ejected every single round I've ever put through it. I've often said that my Shield "told my G19 to sit down and shut up... and she did." Anyway, I could never see enough difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 to justify the cost of upgrading, especially when my 1.0 ran so well.

Enter the Shield Plus.... I couldn't justify the upgrade to a 2.0, but then the Shield Plus came out with its 13 round mag. I thought, "Hold up a second. A Shield with an extra 5 rounds? With a pistol and two spare mags, I'd go from 25 rounds to 40? And my current holsters and mag pouches should still fit?" So I bought one and yes, I know that: (a) I paid the New Model Price; and (b) I might be a beta tester this time around. Still, I stopped at my LGS and they had the No Thumb Safety model, which was exactly what I wanted, at a reasonable price. Not dirt cheap, but reasonable. I took it to my gunsmith and had my night sights moved over from my Shield 1.0. (And FYI - it was a clean, perfect-fit swap.)

Ammo supplies being what they are, I knew I would probably not be able to replace what I shot up, at least not any time soon. Also, spare Shield Plus mags are currently made of unobtainium. A few days ago, I loaded up the magazines. The mags are not nearly as hard to load as regular Shield magazines. Yesterday, I field stripped it, blew some compressed air in it to get out any dust or manufacturing debris (of which I saw none), and put a drop of oil here and there.

The Shield Plus ran like a top right out of the box. I didn't take my 1.0 to shoot it side by side with the Plus, and maybe I should have. I'm no trigger snob, and I've never been bothered by the Shield trigger. With that said, the Shield Plus does not have a 1911 trigger and never will without aftermarket intervention. However, the trigger was certainly crisp enough for me.

My one and only possible complaint, and it's really a minor one: The new trigger design rubbed by trigger finger a little.
Great writeup and much appreciated. Good stuff!
I'm in a similar boat: Shield 1.0 and no burning desire to replace it. It's been totally reliable.
Having said that, I confess the Plus has me twitching a bit.

·
Registered
11,801 Posts
nice. i know you will not be disappointed. i just bought a Shield Plus Friday. i had not owned a previous Shield but was looking for a 9mm for everyday carry since trading off my small Kahr years back. i had not intended on spending as much as i did but the Plus offers too much for the money. i was hoping for a used G43 or used Sig p365. the shop that i shoot at had not had anything to look at since shortly after this virus started so i have been driving out a little farther to look at options. i got there and they had a g43, great. but they also had a shield 2.0 and two Plus's, one with the safety and one without. took me an hour to finally decide to spend the extra money for the Shield Plus, i took the one without the safety. it just made too much sense, the Plus's extra thickness and weight is negligible. it is very comfortable to hold and after shooting it yesterday i an convince i made the right choice. i picked up a Crossbreed holster for the 2.0 and it fits perfectly. i am pretty sure i would be just as happy with a Glock, Sig or Springfield alternative but the Shield Plus was there and available, and it is equal or better than the competition. this is a keeper....

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I bought the Plus. Love the feel in my hand but never shot it.Problems right out of the box. Takedown lever stuck. After finally being able to take the slide off, the sear piece was bent. So onto S&W it went and it's still there over 2 weeks now.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the Plus. Love the feel in my hand but never shot it.Problems right out of the box. Takedown lever stuck. After finally being able to take the slide off, the sear piece was bent. So onto S&W it went and it's still there over 2 weeks now.
Drat. I'm sorry to hear that.

Reactions: Rocks

·
Registered
11,801 Posts
when i went to shoot mine for the first time Saturday, there was a couple there talking to a sales/counter person. they were asking if the shop might be getting a Shield, any model, in, or if they could order two of them. the salesman said S&W wasn't taking orders and he had no idea if or when they might see any. i thought that seemed odd, but this shop, which does a lot of Law Enforcement business, in fact the place is owned by a retired County Sheriff. they have had very few Handguns or AR15's in the cases since last year. as i was leaving the same time the coupe was leaving i talked to them outside and told them i had bought my Shield Friday and where the gunshop was located. i mentioned they had at least three other 9mm Shield's in 2 or 3 models, and 3 .380 Shield models. i can't help but wonder if the local gunshop was keeping most of the centerfire handguns and any AR's they get for the locals LEO's.

·
Registered
9,617 Posts

Thank you for your review. I have a similar opinion that you had about not upgrading to the shield 2.0. I am still debating if the extra rounds is worth the hassle of the paperwork and multiple trips to the licensing division . And it’s only for extra rounds for me. I’m in a ten round state.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for your review. I have a similar opinion that you had about not upgrading to the shield 2.0. I am still debating if the extra rounds is worth the hassle of the paperwork and multiple trips to the licensing division . And it’s only for extra rounds for me. I’m in a ten round state.
Extra trips to a 'licensing division' and only two extra rounds probably would have killed the deal for me. You can do 2 extra rounds a whole lot cheaper with some Magguts. (I've never tested them, but I do see them on Magguts' site.)

Reactions: Maccabeus

·
Glocks are your friend
840 Posts
Congrats on the shield plus. Went and shot mine this past Saturday for the second time at my range. Put some 147 HST and some 115 through it again and performed flawlessly. Can’t wait to get some more 13 round mags for it. Like o said in my thread about it , I highly recommend this gun and love mine. Only complaint for mine is , you’ll possibly break your thumb getting that thirteenth round in haha

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Extra trips to a 'licensing division' and only two extra rounds probably would have killed the deal for me. You can do 2 extra rounds a whole lot cheaper with some Magguts. (I've never tested them, but I do see them on Magguts' site.)
Yep. It keeps me from getting the new stuff.
But if my wife and I move to a free state, that local gun store is going to luv me.

Not only to get the new stuff but continue my collection of the LEO guns of the past. The new high capacity slim guns kind of took the luster of my single stack collection-lol ( my attempt for the perfect EDC in retirement). I still like them but....

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Can someone please post a picture of just the 13rnd mag? I'd like to see the way the baseplate attaches.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts