Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having a bit of a problem I'm hoping some of you can help me with. I recently purchased some of those new Shield Arms SB15 mags and a the metal mag catch for my "Glock 43x". I'm using quotations because I want to give you all the facts I can. I purchased a Glock 43 for a very low price and I decided it would be more cost effective to purchase a Glock 43x lower and swap the slide between the two as needed. I know some of you are going to give me grief for that, but its done, I did it, lets move forward.

When they came in, I took them to the range to try them out. They work perfectly, dropped free, everything checked out. But as I was drilling, I had my first jam. From slide lock, if you put the mag in properly, the weapon should charge if you hit the slide catch. But, on this gun, doing this causes a stoppage. It happened with every magazine, the round gets lodged in chamber and needs to be cleared out. If you work the slide, it seems to be fine, but nothing with the slide catch. I've recently noticed that if I insert the mag, then rock it back slightly, there's an extra " click". When I get this click and hit the slide catch, the gun charges just fine.

The mags ran fine on my friends G48 with no issues recorded. I'm sure the issue is my "frankengun". Has anyone experienced this issue?

·
Registered
850 Posts
The 43, 43X and 48 have interchangeable slides / frames. That should not be a problem.

There are a few reports similar to your issue. Shield started adding +10% springs in the mags to address a loading issue.

I'm not sure how to tell which spring is installed, if one doesn't have both to compare, the +10% is longer.

Call Shield, they may send out new springs.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The 43, 43X and 48 have interchangeable slides / frames. That should not be a problem.

There are a few reports similar to your issue. Shield started adding +10% springs in the mags to address a loading issue.

I'm not sure how to tell which spring is installed, if one doesn't have both to compare, the +10% is longer.

Call Shield, they may send out new springs.
Most likely this^^

If the 43 you purchased was used, the RSA might need to be replaced too.

Also, double check that your mag release/catch is installed properly. Might not hurt to swap the OEM one back in and test it out. If the problem goes away, the metal mag catch probably isn't to spec - and wouldn't be surprising (nature of the beast with aftermarket stuff). Just don't run the OEM one too much with the metal 15 rounders, as they will eat it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay so i bought the s15 mags with shield arms metal extended mag release. Anyways my shield arms mags will not lock into place, therefore it just kind of slides out when trying to do anything with it.

the one catch is that if I manually press on the mag release just to give it a little more humph to lock it in it will set in place but still wont hold if I start firing. also im not talking about pressing the mag release to release it but rather hold down the opposite side so make the mag catch more prevalent inside the mag well.

sorry this is hard for me to explain and i cannot find anyone else with the same issue.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Take the upper off and you will be able to look down in to see what is going on.

I'm guessing the mag catch is installed improperly.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mine was doing the exact same thing. If you lock your slide back you can see what's happening as the loaded mag is inserted. Basically the back rim of the cartridge is hitting the bottom edge of the breach face before it's fully seated. This was allowing the mag catch to partially seat into the magazine. If you push it really hard you will hear a second click that fully seats the magazine (when it clears the breach face) allowing the mag catch to be flush on the opposite side. If not fully seated the breach face will not properly strip the top loaded cartridge and it will enter the chamber sideways causing a jam. The other problem created is the magazine will drop down during firing and the breach face will not pick up the next loaded cartridge.

The fix is to remove the mag catch and polish it with 400-600 grit sand paper anywhere you see rub marks. Mine actually had a small bur on the top lip at the back (the portion that actually inserts into the hole on the magazine) and the inner portion that makes contact with the side of the magazine causing additional friction. I used a small file to smooth down the bur. After these two areas were polished, the magazine fully seats with only one click and without hitting the bottom of the breach face. This fixed mine and hope it will fix yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts