Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
There's a number of people experiencing a failure to feed of the Shield S15 mags, and many have reported why. The "Why" is that, when inserted, the S15 mags do not seat the top cartridge forward far enough for the slide to pickup the top round. Some claimed just using a Shield Arms magwell solved the issue. As a side note, it should be noted that Shield's steel releases should be used if using S15 mags.
Although my S15 mags fed fine, I examined my setup and noticed my cartridges were seating too far rearward, but were being pushed far enough forward when the round would contact the underside of the ejector, snapping the cartridge just enough forward. I wasn't totally satisfied, so I conducted a simple test.
I took double sided tape, and only removed one side, placing it up the backside of the mag 3/4's of the way, and now the mags seat as they ought to.
Obviously, double sided tape isn't a permanent solution, but you get the idea. Something in lieu could be used such as, a glob of JB Weld sanded flat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My SA15 mags run flawlessly Gen 1 and Gen 2 in both my 43x and 48x MOSs....
Mine do too, even without the tape.
Lock your slide back, then slowly insert the S15 magazine while watching from above and notice what happens. Does your top round jump forward a bit when it comes into contact with the ejector? If it does, there's a chance that this phenomenon is the only reason the mags are being reliable. When I use the tape as a spacer, this phenomenon doesn't happen, and the mags feed as if stock.

·
Registered
335 Posts
A question on the OEM 48 magazines. It seems to me they are a bit wider than expected for a single stack. So is there a build out on the magazine wall like on the 10 round magazines for the 19 or even the 17 magazines? If possible remove a baseplate on one and show an internal picture. I don't know the correct term for the build out limiting the 19 or 17 to 10 rounds for restricted states.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I‘m also still running with the factory magazines so the only experience I have with Shield S15s is through friends, who also claim not to have any problems. From what I have gathered, Shield is making an effort to provide a quality product, but I’m still a bit skeptical as I’ve never really had great luck with very many aftermarket pistol parts, sights and Wolff magazine springs being the exceptions. i recall years ago before the AWB a company came out with steel mags for Glock 17s which were supposed to drop free more reliably. i was tempted but never bought any, but the concept didn’t survive the ten round limit debacle and it seems like Magpul is the only company to offer a reliable alternative to factory Glock mags today. In fact, the Glock factory double stack seems to be the standard for PCCs and kits. So, certainly play with the S15s if you want, but make sure you change the mag catches, and remember that if they don’t work, change your pistol back to the stock mags if you’re also relying on that pistol to maybe save your life. The Shield 43 9-round mags do look attractive, I must admit…

A question on the OEM 48 magazines. It seems to me they are a bit wider than expected for a single stack. So is there a build out on the magazine wall like on the 10 round magazines for the 19 or even the 17 magazines? If possible remove a baseplate on one and show an internal picture. I don't know the correct term for the build out limiting the 19 or 17 to 10 rounds for restricted states.
I should pop the base plate off a 43x mag again, and I never had any 10-round AWB mags to compare, but the 43x mags are not true single stacks. They’re staggered just enough or the mags would be even longer. Still, it would take a complete redesign for Glock to offer a factory 15-round that didn’t extend the length.

·
Registered
12,517 Posts
@D20 The best video that documents this problem is below. And there are 2 problems. One, which you described, and the other is the mag springs getting stuck in the mag catch cutout.

The first, which you solved with double stick tape could have been easily solved by changing the metal stamping to locate the round where it should be located. Honestly I'm shocked that SA hasn't done this and never considered putting the round in the same location as the stock mag. And this alone is reason for me to question whether SA has even a single engineer on staff. A new engineering grad would have solved this in a day.

The second issue with the spring and the cutout requires a more innovative solution, of which I can think of 2 or 3. Again, I really find it hard to believe they even employ an engineer. These are so basic, and it's so well documented in this video, I find it unbelievable they have not dealt with these problems.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I should pop the base plate off a 43x mag again, and I never had any 10-round AWB mags to compare, but the 43x mags are not true single stacks. They’re staggered just enough or the mags would be even longer. Still, it would take a complete redesign for Glock to offer a factory 15-round that didn’t extend the length.
I wouldn't be interested in the S15 magazines from the Sheild Arms site the magazine is $42 and the 2 versions of the mag release are $28.99 or $34.99. I am sure other sites might be cheaper. OEM mags range from $20 to $25. So due to the cost and potential reliability problems some are experiencing along with a feed fix this thread is about I wouldn't consider them. I don't believe there is a stagger in the magazine since the grip is the same length as the 19 and its 10 mags appear 10 stacked straight. There are pictures of the buildouts online, it is an inward fold in the metal. And also the sight holes are a straight line. If my suspicions are correct Glock could have left out the build out to limit to 10 rounds and it should hold a staggered stack 12-14 rounds.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I popped off a base plate and examined inside a 43x/48 mag. There are a couple of ridges on each inner wall, but compared to a classic single stack steel mag, there is a lot of room to work with, which suggests that the rounds stagger a bit when loaded. I rolled a loose bullet inside just to see and there’s extra room on each side of the cartridge. Anyway, if Glock was to remove the ridges or whatever they’re called, redesign the follower and change the spring, I can see the capacity rising. Maybe they’re already thinking about it. I occasionally have obligations in other states that believe mag capacity over ten rounds is the functional equivalent to a nuclear warhead or global warming so I‘m not really bothered by the 10-round capacity of the standard 43x/48. I just carry a couple of extra 10-round mags. They’re not that bulky.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@D20 The best video that documents this problem is below. And there are 2 problems. One, which you described, and the other is the mag springs getting stuck in the mag catch cutout.

The first, which you solved with double stick tape could have been easily solved by changing the metal stamping to locate the round where it should be located. Honestly I'm shocked that SA hasn't done this and never considered putting the round in the same location as the stock mag. And this alone is reason for me to question whether SA has even a single engineer on staff. A new engineering grad would have solved this in a day.

The second issue with the spring and the cutout requires a more innovative solution, of which I can think of 2 or 3. Again, I really find it hard to believe they even employ an engineer. These are so basic, and it's so well documented in this video, I find it unbelievable they have not dealt with these problems.

The video you posted is the one that led me to research this more. It's a good video. It's where I got the idea to add a spacer to the backside of the mag. However, just know that the man who made this video was still using the Glock polymer mag catch.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks that did prove my thoughts. I personally believe they didn't want to go above 10 rounds due to limitation bans in some states and Canada. 10 rounds and a spare mag would be sufficient. I doubt Glock will produce a larger capacity mag without the ridges or they would have done that from the start.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have 3 S15 mags and have experienced the same issues others have noted. So they are range mags only. With the S15 sales booming, I've plenty of Glock OEM magazines at low prices.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Lock your slide back, then slowly insert the S15 magazine while watching from above and notice what happens. Does your top round jump forward a bit when it comes into contact with the ejector?
No, this does not happen with my 43X. The top cartridge is already in front of the stripper bar before it touches the ejector. When it contacts the ejector, the cartridge moves a little to the right - not foward. When the magazine is removed, the top cartridge is still all the way to the rear, just as it was before insertion.

My 43X's have had no failures in several hundred rounds with the several S15's that I own.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts