GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Man, I'm Pretty
29,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old thread is closed and I just wanted to say I have 300 rds through three magazines with not one bobble.

I do have one of Shield Arms steel mag catches installed.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

·
In The Saddle
7,136 Posts
Got far more than this through, and never a "bobble.." Don't expect there ever will be! ;)
Good report.

Stay safe amigo.

CM
:horse:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I ran 400 rounds through a couple this afternoon. I need to put the extra power springs they sent me in as they don't lock back in my 48. I also learned they are susceptible to my acid like sweat... brown rust line where it wicked in and I didn't catch it for a couple weeks. I need to explicitly remember to drop the mag and wipe it down separately.

If they make them out of SS and rejigger the geometry at the front of the mag so they engage releases better, I'll buy several more. Oh, and fix the round count holes. IMO they need some tweaking but, other than the locking back thing, they've run fine. No FFs and, as of yet, no inadvertent mag releases with their aluminum release.

·
If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?
1,015 Posts
I have 15 rounds through each of my 3, and perfect so far, lol.

I also have one of Shield Arms steel mag catches installed.

Reactions: CanyonMan

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
If they make them out of SS and rejigger the geometry at the front of the mag so they engage releases better, I'll buy several more.
The current S15 configuration engages Glock OEM polymer & Shield's steel mag catches very well.

I tried one brand of aluminum catch (not Shield) & it engaged way too little. I think that is the case with most brands of aluminum catches. I have heard that Shield Arms had the steel catch made with the engagement "shelf" as deep as possible into the magazines and still not interfere with the loaded rounds.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I ran a bundle of rounds through my S-15 without one issue I love it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd love to be able to add my own subjective report to this thread, but mine are backordered.

In the meantime, you guys should torture me with pictures showing me how much fun you guys are having with your s15 mags, how good they make your g43x/g48's look and how much awesomeness I am missing out on.

·
In The Saddle
7,136 Posts
The current S15 configuration engages Glock OEM polymer & Shield's steel mag catches very well.

I tried one brand of aluminum catch (not Shield) & it engaged way too little. I think that is the case with most brands of aluminum catches. I have heard that Shield Arms had the steel catch made with the engagement "shelf" as deep as possible into the magazines and still not interfere with the loaded rounds.

Yep, Talked with friends at SA a couple weeks ago. Fact, on all the STEEL catches (SA) there is as 'much real estate possible' without interfering with the spring/bullets. My steel SA catches and their mags have been for 10+ months (used their aluminum at first) now and 'countless rounds...' Flawless. Hey, flawless, is flawless... ;) No more testing. That ended a couple months ago. Can't make a malfunction no matter what I do. Run every bit as reliable as OEM.

There does not need to be any tweaking.. It all runs perfectly as is. Mags all lock back on all three of ours, and we only run X-power springs, although the standard springs, never gave an ounce of issue.. Mag does not drop until I mash the catch. 'Catch designed' to take 5 Plus, pounds of push, to release SA mags. Hardly makes a speck of contact to the frame, and don't matter anyway, it will Never wear on the frame.

I can "pump" my steel catches in and out with my thumb pretty hard and far, and the 'Fully Loaded mags' will not drop until the (and this is built in design) catch is pushed in all the way in 'even with the frame slot cutout' it moves back and forth in.

Still, cannot recommend using OEM mags. Why? Tears up the slot and hey, not needed any longer. If folks want to 'seriously' use OEM, then, stay ALL OEM. ;) I have come to carry the G48 and the SA mags more than my beloved 45 acp, and that is (if ya know me) a miraculous switch! ha.

CanyonMan

·
Man, I'm Pretty
29,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yep, Talked with friends at SA a couple weeks ago. Fact, on all the STEEL catches (SA) there is as 'much real estate possible' without interfering with the spring/bullets. My steel SA catches and their mags have been for 10+ months (used their aluminum at first) now and 'countless rounds...' Flawless. Hey, flawless, is flawless... ;) No more testing. That ended a couple months ago. Can't make a malfunction no matter what I do. Run every bit as reliable as OEM.

There does not need to be any tweaking.. It all runs perfectly as is. Mags all lock back on all three of ours, and we only run X-power springs, although the standard springs, never gave an ounce of issue.. Mag does not drop until I mash the catch. 'Catch designed' to take 5 Plus, pounds of push, to release SA mags. Hardly makes a speck of contact to the frame, and don't matter anyway, it will Never wear on the frame.

I can "pump" my steel catches in and out with my thumb pretty hard and far, and the 'Fully Loaded mags' will not drop until the (and this is built in design) catch is pushed in all the way in 'even with the frame slot cutout' it moves back and forth in.

Still, cannot recommend using OEM mags. Why? Tears up the slot and hey, not needed any longer. If folks want to 'seriously' use OEM, then, stay ALL OEM. ;) I have come to carry the G48 and the SA mags more than my beloved 45 acp, and that is (if ya know me) a miraculous switch! ha.

CanyonMan
+1 on your comments on the steel mag catch. The aluminum catch probably would have been fine but the steel catch inspires more confidence for the reasons you gave, plus it should offer enhanced durability.

16 rounds of 124 +P Gold Dots on tap in this slim little beast make the G48 the ideal IWB CCW for me and I have plenty of other guns to choose from.

Regards,

·
In The Saddle
7,136 Posts
Yes sir! I don't see 'any' remote signs of the steel catch wearing out, even under tremendous round counts down through the years...

Take care and be safe amigo! ;)

CM :horse:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Just got a G43X myself. I’m in the market for these mags. They’re pretty tough to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'd love to be able to add my own subjective report to this thread, but mine are backordered.

In the meantime, you guys should torture me with pictures showing me how much fun you guys are having with your s15 mags, how good they make your g43x/g48's look and how much awesomeness I am missing out on.

Im in the same boat...but I hear they moved their production to some other state which caused the delay.

I'm hearing I'm getting closer to my order being fulfilled.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Are there any reports of the steel mag catch causing damage to the frame?

·
In The Saddle
7,136 Posts
Are there any reports of the steel mag catch causing damage to the frame?

Ain't going to happen friend....! Read post #10 here.
I been doing this since SA started all their production, put all this through the ringer, NO problems and the steel catch hardly even touches the frame, and where it does 'barely touch,' you won't ever damage that shooter at all...

CM

·
Man, I'm Pretty
29,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just wanted to add the engagement of the mag catch seems equal to or better than my Beretta 92 or PX4, MP 45. or G30S.

Regards,

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was just able to order 5 of them on 11-15-2020. I've been checking their site everyday and finally their standard finish mags I could order. I was on their notifications list but was never notified. I also ordered their black mag catch. I really hope these work well. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was just able to order 5 of them on 11-15-2020. I've been checking their site everyday and finally their standard finish mags I could order. I was on their notifications list but was never notified. I also ordered their black mag catch. I really hope these work well. Thanks for the update.
For what it’s worth mine runs perfect. I was skeptical to when they first came out and had one ordered and cancel it but I finally gave in and bought one and I’m more than pleased with it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts