Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People have been raving about the Shield Arms 15 round magazines they created for the 48 and 43X. This thread isn’t about that. It’s about the hints that they are producing a mag for the 43 and will increase its capacity, but not length, by using a metal body. OEM base mags are 6 rounds. There are many aftermarket extensions, some better than others, that will add a +1 without adding anymore length than the empty pinky extension Glock gave us on one of the OEM base mags. I sat down and drew an outline and looked at what fits and how it fits in the OEM mag. After doing so I think I came up with an answer as to why we have not see a mag from Shield Arms for the 43: there just isn’t that much to gain in a 43. 48’s and 43X’s have a bit of a wider mag and I think that helps get those extra 5 rounds in there. Based on what I penciled out in my half assed scientific approach, they could only fit one more round in a metal flush mag. If they added a bit of an extension similar to what Pearce and Precious Seers (TTI) produce, they could get 8. This requires buying their mags plus changing out the mag release to be kosher with the metal mags. We have the average Glock 43 user. He looks at the options and this is what he sees: Shield Arms with their metal mags, metal mag release, and non OEM parts ($$$ + unkown reliability) to get maybe 8 rounds. He looks a bit further and sees he can use his Glock as is, use OEM mags, change out a base plate for $10 and get 7 rounds (OEM reliability + $). I have an educated guess most people are gonna take the latter option there. If you’re worried about capacity, the 43 isn’t your bag to begin with, it’s a non-issue. Shield Arms will have a tough sell in the 43 market. That’s why I am speculating we haven’t seen anything from them for the 43, the juice ain’t worth the squeeze because there’s not much juice in the fruit to begin with!

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
You are wrong. Because you can already fit one extra round in a stock Glock magazine with a thinner spring and follower (Magguts).

I would think they would shoot for 8-9 in a flush mount and possibly 10 in a slight pinky extended one.

Remember, it took months for them to announce the S15 and have them delivered and they learned their lesson. We haven’t heard much because people have a hard time being patient and reasonable. If you read back through the initial S15 thread you can see all kinds of crazy tin foil hat theories about fraud and such.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
942AF174-D95D-4485-A114-A4A1A642DBD9.jpeg

The pen line is the outside of the mag. Obviously, a metal mag would be thinner than OEM, but it wouldn’t be THAT thin! Also notice at 8 rounds, you’ve only gained one on my Pearce +1, which is 7...

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Except, I present Exhibit A:
View attachment 746062
The pen line is the outside of the mag. Obviously, a metal mag would be thinner than OEM, but it wouldn’t be THAT thin! Also notice at 8 rounds, you’ve only gained one on my Pearce +1, which is 7...
Are you that bored? Do you like sketching rather than seeing what is already out there?

Magguts Glock magazine gets 7 flush fit with thinner follower and flat spring.

ETS polymer (no metal lining) magazine gets 7 flush fit with a huge follower.

99FE3CDB-635D-4774-A03C-8137F96BA6B4.png

It is completely reasonable to fit 8 flush fit if you had a thinner follower and flat spring.

My estimate is that it would be minimum 8 rounds since 7 flush fit isn’t new.

Or 10 with a slight extension.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
You are awfully hostile... holding on too tight, perhaps?
Nope. After spending the week taking care of hospital patients, I don’t have patience for people who are willfully obtuse.

You were and are wrong, but keep doubling down on ignorance and misinformed speculation.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
On the ignore list for the ignorant. Some people enjoy speculating without ever taking the time to speculate armed with education. They spend a lot of time being wrong and reinventing the wheel.

·
Registered
188 Posts
JCN, any particular reason you're being a jerk, or is it just a Friday thing? Spartan24 has done and continues to do the Glock community a great favor with this drop-in smooth triggers at an almost giveaway price, yet you have nothing better to do that attack him. Sure hope you show more respect to your hospital patients than your do for members here.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
JCN, any particular reason you're being a jerk, or is it just a Friday thing? Spartan24 has done and continues to do the Glock community a great favor with this drop-in smooth triggers at an almost giveaway price, yet you have nothing better to do that attack him. Sure hope you show more respect to your hospital patients than your do for members here.
You are right. It was a tough week at work and I was tired and cranky.

@Spartan24 , my apologies for being hostile. I will try and be more constructive.

All drawings aside, here is what I know:

With just 1/4” extra length, you can fit 8 rounds in an OEM G43 magazine body.

https://magguts.com/product/glock-43-2-magguts/

F8298E06-C388-4B30-9105-F93AD72C2EED.png

You can fit 7 in the ETS flush fit or 7 in the OEM flush fit with different follower and spring.

So let’s agree that 7 is easy to get flush fit (and is already available with the current thick OEM body).

Let’s also agree that with 1/4” extra length, you can get 8 in a thick OEM body because it’s already there.

Now start musings from there.

Using what is currently out there as the start for our musings:

1. With a thinner body, can Shield Arms get 8 rounds flush fit?
  2. Or will they do 9 rounds in a 1/4” or so extension?
Me personally, if I didn’t carry P365s I would be very interested in 9-10 rounds in a 1/4” longer package G43.

The Magguts +2 is what I would carry if I carried a G43. I had last round issues previously until I did the @GunQuest cant radiusing. Since then, all aftermarket G43 magazines and extensions have worked for me.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have said this a couple times before. All Glock has to do is shorten the 43x/48 grip length to the grip length of the 43. The little extra thickness in the grip would make a flush fit 10rd Glock mag possible. The Glock 43x/48 grip is exactly the same width as the the P365 (I have posted pictures of this comparison). Make this a new model, maybe call it the 43xs (short).

Then SA could make a 12-13rd flush fit metal mag for it. Knocking the p365 off the throne.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I could tell JCN had a tough day. We all have bad days from time to time…

I’ve got to agree with JCN based on something I have seen previously work with the speculation on the S 15.

The person I saw had dropped rounds into a magazine well to check for space and came up with the reality that 15 was indeed possible in a 43X . And that’s history, it worked.

I used the same Deal with my 43 and left out the equivalent space that it takes in my 43x to make 15 work and then apply that principle to the 43 again, with equivalent space left over for wall thickness, follower and spring.

What I came up with, was eight or nine is where we’re going to end up at. Keep in mind also, if they can increase the round count by 50% in the 43X, it’s probably gonna be close to that in the 43. My official guess is eight flush fit, nine if they try to duplicate the little pinky extension magazine.

Bottom line is, we will see!

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Too bad that Glock will not follow the technology to wherever it leads, and give the consumer what he wants. Glock obviously could give us an OEM 15 rounder for the 43X/48 like Shield does, and a larger capacity 43 mag. Instead, they give us the middle finger.

In most respects l love Glock, and have loved it for 22+ years. Its the standard bearer. But in a couple of respects, they really jazz me off with the under-capacity mags and craptastic stock sights.

Big picture is that I am never going to run out of ammo in the Walmart parking lot with 10+1 in the 43X, and the stock sights work just fine (though I have replaced mine with Big Dot DXT2's). So its sorta moot. I just know that Glock could do so much better if it tried.

·
G43 Fanboy
1,996 Posts
If SA can make a flush-fit mag for the G43 to hold at least 8 rounds AND work reliably (which I think they can), I think they may have a business chance to compete with MagGuts +2. But I see no point for AS to creat a mere 7 rounder flush-fit mag for the G43 that will require an aftermarket metal mag catch because MagGuts+1 and +2 already work well for most G43s with no extra aftermarket parts needed...

Now, can SA (Check-Mate) create 9 rounder flush-fit all metal mags for the G43 that will work reliably?

I’m no engineer, so I have no idea if that’s possible. Looking inside the OEM magazine tube for the G43, I’m kind of skeptical. But if they can, that will increase the capacity of the G43 from the original “6+1 rounds” to whopping “9+1 rounds” without increasing the gun’s original size. It’ll be a real game-changer...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I hope SA can do it for the 43.

One issue they may have to contend with is the left cant issue in the 43. I believe it is this issue that prevents some people from using mag extensions of various brands reliably with the 43.

I attempted to modify an ejector to work in my 43, but didn’t file enough off. I’ve since modified that ejector so the rounds don’t cant at all, but haven’t had a chance to test it yet. I will say the modified ejector is looking a little thin.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If SA can make a flush-fit mag for the G43 to hold at least 8 rounds AND work reliably (which I think they can), I think they may have a business chance to compete with MagGuts +2. But I see no point for AS to creat a mere 7 rounder flush-fit mag for the G43 that will require an aftermarket metal mag catch because MagGuts+1 and +2 already work well for most G43s with no extra aftermarket parts needed...

Now, can SA (Check-Mate) create 9 rounder flush-fit all metal mags for the G43 that will work reliably?

I’m no engineer, so I have no idea if that’s possible. Looking inside the OEM magazine tube for the G43, I’m kind of skeptical. But if they can, that will increase the capacity of the G43 from the original “6+1 rounds” to whopping “9+1 rounds” without increasing the gun’s original size. It’ll be a real game-changer...
I had to go back and reread my original post as I’m pretty sure this is exactly what I was saying. 8 in a flush mag, maybe depending on spring and follower. 9 with an extension for sure. Any more than that, I just don’t see how it can physically happen. Also, at those configurations, the competition is pretty entrenched. It’s not like the 43X/48 where everything was new. Companies have already been working on the 43 and squeezing extra capacity out of it for over 4 years.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
I had to go back and reread my original post as I’m pretty sure this is exactly what I was saying. 8 in a flush mag, maybe depending on spring and follower. 9 with an extension for sure. Any more than that, I just don’t see how it can physically happen. Also, at those configurations, the competition is pretty entrenched. It’s not like the 43X/48 where everything was new. Companies have already been working on the 43 and squeezing extra capacity out of it for over 4 years.
If that’s what you meant, than cool. But what you said was:

OEM base mags are 6 rounds. they could only fit one more round in a metal flush mag. If they added a bit of an extension, they could get 8.
So I was taking exception to that because they should be able to do more than what’s available already with Magguts and the polymer body. If you misspoke, then cool. We agree.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If that’s what you meant, than cool. But what you said was:

So I was taking exception to that because they should be able to do more than what’s available already with Magguts and the polymer body. If you misspoke, then cool. We agree.
I did not misspeak, I consider anything that stays within the footprint of the empty OEM extension to be flush. I blame Glock for not utilizing that space, so if a company can utilize it, like Pearce, TTI, or Magguts, I’m interested.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
I did not misspeak, I consider anything that stays within the footprint of the empty OEM extension to be flush. I blame Glock for not utilizing that space, so if a company can utilize it, like Pearce, TTI, or Magguts, I’m interested.
I think the commonly held definition of “flush fit magazine” is one that is flat and approximates the FRAME of the gun and not any kind of extension at all.

But let’s say we go by your definition that SA “flush” magazine is the length of the OEM +0 extension.

That actually makes you even “wrong-er” in your original post as then you are saying that they could only fit ONE extra round (your words) “in a metal flush mag” that you are saying is the length of an OEM +0 extension.

OEM base mags are 6 rounds. they could only fit one more round in a metal flush mag. If they added a bit of an extension, they could get 8.
6+1 = 7 and at that length, Magguts +2 holds 8 but in Spartanworld that’s a “flush magazine?”

So by your definition, you think SA can only do 7 rounds in the footprint of a +0 extension even though Magguts already does 8?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts