close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shelton Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Aug 17, 2002.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

OK West Coasters, it's your turn to speak out. Hope you had a great day.

2. Sierra

Sierra Millennium Member

Went to the GSSF at Shelton today. Good turnout. Could not have had better weather except for the breeze that affected the Glock M poppers. So I was rolling along on the 5 to Glock string and loaded up 11 rounds and on my last shot I had my first failure to eject. Bummer. Went to the Plates and got rolling and had another which cost me major points. Went to see the Armorer and after getting a new recoil spring for my G19 I was back in action on the Glock M. Great service, great weather, Glock fixed on the spot, life is good.

3. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

Great weather, nice host club, fun match. Shot 3 classes today, really improved dramatically over my Roseburg results. Had a few sub 4 second plate runs (too bad I didn't shoot them in 1 class). Was really pushing towards a high placing til the 5 to Glock, and I shot 9 D's. Ouch!

I'm happy, I improved my overall score by almost a full minute over Roseburg in Am. Civ., and more than 2 minutes for Comp. I didn't keep score for my U/L run (I had so much fun shooting the plates, I signed up to shoot U/L with my 34 just to do them again).

Many thanks to the Shelton Rifle & Pistol Club, GSSF, and all the volunteers. It was a fun match, and a beautiful place to spend a day shooting.

4. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

Shelton did a good job hosting the match. I had a great time shooting on Saturday. I improved a ton over Roseburg and Couer d Alene. I shot 4 catagories Am. Civ., Comp., subcompact and major sub. I had a good score on the major sub for me. My unofficial count was a total of 78.99 on major sub shooting my G30. I had a couple plate runs under 6 seconds with my G30 which for me is about half of what I did in Couer d'Alene. I have been having trouble with the plates and getting them all down but I mowed them down pretty good in this match. My Am. Civ. score was 200.62 which was 54 seconds faster than Couer d'Alene. My sub compact score was 186.60 at Shelton compared to a 304.64 at Couerd'Alene.
    All in all I am very happy with my improvement but now have to wait till next June and Roseburg for the next local match. If I was made of money I would be hitting every match on the schedule. I am going to keep practicing and hopefully get into the A group of finishers next year.
    By the way thanks to the master shooters that posted tips on this board. I have used them and they have helped me a great deal. Bruce

5. McGee23

McGee23

Man I sucked! At my local indoor range I do ok and am alright at the few fun shoots we've done so I thought I'd do better. Got a few D's and did my worst on the Glock M. Don't know why, but me and my girlfriend did the worst there (2nd category we shot). I've never shoot beyond 50' and she never beyond 30' so I guess we didn't do that bad but the targets seemed so close it was deceiving. I/We definitely need more practice but this is the first one we've done so I guess it was ok. It just goes too fast! Wish I went to the armorer when we got there cause he got too busy to see later. Too bad I have to wait a whole year for the next one's. But we'll go to OR and ID.

6. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Sierra

Were you shooting factory ammo or did you load your own? If its factory they usually let you reshoot it if it was factory load.

I went and had a good time however I really didn't have it together. I forgot my 23 so there went the Am Civ. I think I shot about the same as CDA but I'll have to compare them. Oddly on the M I shot well at 25ft but worse at 15???? have no idea why.

7. sablair

sablair CLM CLXV of C CLM

I took my broker, Jane, and her co-worker, Matt. We did OK, but I have to admit, she had the best shot of the day.

One of the competitors asked how her husband got her into shooting.

She replied, "He took up golf."

8. Sierra

Sierra Millennium Member

Hapuna - I was shooting factory ammo. Federal American Eagle 115gr FMJ. The guys running the plates said no reshoot and smiled. I was pleased, however, with the armorer and the replacement part.

9. wildwalk

wildwalk

1st of at let me say it was fun. And that is the only reason that I go is to have fun. And watch other shooters and hopefully pick up some pointers.

The only 1 gripe I had is there was no aiming point. Roseburg had like a blue 2x4 to aim at. Shelton had nothing that I saw. I actually saw one person start out aiming at the target.
    I also had 1 FE with factory ammo and it seemed like I had to beg and plead to reshoot that string. I finally got the reshoot.

I started on the plates totally blew it. My times were bad. I really did not care for the setup they had I almost felt like I was shooting 1 set pf plates at an angle. But Hey I am the one that has to adjust not them.

I went to Glock M next. I was shooting two catagories. Am. Civ. and Sub Comp. When I went to shoot the Sub. Comp. The RO was only going to let me shoot each target once. I think he was thinking of Maj. Sub. I almost walked away until it got clarified, then I pointed it out on the scoring sheet that it said "6".

I really improved my scores on the Glock M and 5 to Glock. I was really happy about the whole match except my performance on the plates.

10. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Well they need to be consistent cause the ruling at CDA was reshoot if factory ammo and it sounds like one of the replies here got a reshoot(though apparently begging was involved). Anyway I had a good time.

11. Sierra

Sierra Millennium Member

Now I am a little bewildered. Sounds like they should have let me reshoot. Oh well, next time I'll know and I got a free recoil spring.

12. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Moral of the story: "Take the time to read the rules and carry the Glock Report that contains the rules with you". You are only cheeting yourself by not preparing yourself before the match.

I agree that the RO's running the match should know the rules but everyone must lookout for their own interests. Guess in this case experience could be the best teacher, however this would be a real letdown if it meant the difference between winning or not winning a new Glock. Of course this still could be the case if shooting AmCiv where a new Glock is the prize for 1st place in each class ("A" "B" "C")

13. sablair

sablair CLM CLXV of C CLM

I wanted to share a comment Chris Edwards made in conversation with us during the Shelton Match.

He averred that the attendees at both the Roseburg and Shelton matches seem to have taken Glock's instructions regarding lubrication to heart. He and the armorers had seen few if any over-lubricated pistols at either match.

Well done, guys :)