close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shelton 2004 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Aug 14, 2004.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your stories here.:)

2. Farmer

Farmer

Shot Saturday everything went smooth (no PDA's). Didn't seem like there was very many people there. Maybe there will be more tomorrow.

3. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

Shelton was very well run. I got there on Sat. and started shooting at 9:30 and was done shooting 4 catagories by 12:30. The sign in sheets were used the way they were supposed to be used and it was a smooth match. Hats off to Shelton. Hopefully someone from Couer d'Alene was there taking notes.
    I shot OK. My sub and major sub scores were a lot better than previous matches and I also shot a G37 in the match. It is a nice shooting gun. Can't wait till next year.....

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

coyote 30;

Glad to hear you had a great time and that things ran smoothly. Those new sign-in sheets do work great IF they are used properly. It's when someone decides they just don't like them or thinks their way is better that things get all screwed up.

5. DaleRhea

DaleRhea

Shelton was great. The weather was perfect for me and Alice on Sunday. It was overcast and about 70 degrees all morning. The sun came out and it started getting hot after we had finished shooting the match.
    The Shelton Club did a great job putting on the match and went out of their way to make everybody feel welcome.
    It was a very compact setup. You could simply step from one stage to the next. And the great fun shoot was a quick stroll through to woods. There were a few hay bales scattered around for folks to sit on and several sun shelters. (Most of the year we call them rain shelters out here in the Pacific Northwest).
    We saw lots of friends and we shot okay…All in all a very successful outing.

Dale

6. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

I second Dale's comments about the weather and the well run match. Fun group of folks doing a good job.
    I again proved to myself that I can't seem to avoid a bad string. Had 1 bad one in every shoot!!!!:( Still had fun though and when it was going well I really enjoyed myself. I think I may not actually be able to see 25 yds away!!;f

7. Morris

Morris CLM

Oh lord, I just plain sucked this go around. As usual, it was well run. I was shooting at 0905 hours Sunday, done by 1145. I came to the match, beat tired from working (did the presidential guarding thing Friday night so I couldn't be in Saturday's shoot - worked Saturday very late, Sundaty morn actually). Coming to the shoot with less than two hours of sleep and your first cup of coffee in months was not the smartest move. However, my observations.

Sunday was quiet. Numbers were light, even when I left at noon. I fired my G21, G22, G30, G27 and G35, all stock. G22 was amateur guardian, G21 was Master Stock, G30 was majorsub, G27 was sub compact and G35 was comp. Loads fired was UMC 180gn ball .40 (what the department gives out for training) and S&B 230gn .45. Yeah, no light loads. Next year, I may down grade to 165 and 200 respectively. I want to try them to see if there is any advantge or edge.

G35 shot very well. Continues to be a favorite. Found myself with the old overgripping problem with my G22 (shoving everything to the left - I am right handed). G21 was shooting low. I just need practice. G30, for some reason, had a cruncy trigger so it bugged me and I lost focus wondering about the trigger as I shot. Overall, I just need more trigger time.

Saw several fellow Guardians out competing. One of my peers from Pierce County S.O. was wearing his bat belt. More power to him. After Friday night with 31 pounds of gear strapped to me and standing around for seven hours, the last thing I wanted to do was shoot strings in full gear.

Took advantage to watch some experience folks and picked up some techniques I will try for the games side of the house. Weather was cool in the morning and overcast. Perfect shooting weather for what turned out to be another muggy, stale day around these parts.

Had fun and always take away something new to try. Thought I saw Mr. Carver but did not get a chance to introduce myself. Did have fun watching Mr. & Mrs. Rhea. Watched a fine shooter on the five to Glock stage. Groups were incredible, his time slow but man! Those groups were sweet (nothing out of the A even at 25, as I recall). Well done to that shooter!

So, for the remainder of '04, get a shot timer, more trigger time and use what I saw.

See you all next year!

8. KHAviator

KHAviator

This was my second GSSF match. PLEASE don't change anything it was wonderful!
    Thank You to all the volunteers who made it possible and the wonderful folks from Glock who take care of customers like no other gun maker ^c
    ~KH

9. IHR

IHR Appaloosa Rider

This was my first GSSF match.
    I was out there on Saturday. I had a late start Sat. am, got held up in traffic by the Pres. motorcade, missed the early ferry boat, got the 8:45, which ran late (dont know why), and finally arrived at 10:30. I expected to find long lines, and have to wait forever, but that was not the case. I went through the briefing, and started shooting by about 11:30 and was dont by 1:30. I then took my wife and son into Shelton for lunch, dropped them off at the movie theatre, and come back for a second round of shooting. I signed up again at 2:45 and was done by 3:45.

I have to say, the GSSF bunch, and the volinteers running the show did a fantastic job. Any quastions I had were promptly and properly answered the first time.

I will most certainly be back for more.

Now, I have a question about other matches. I heard people talking about steel matches also, when and where are these held, and who puts those on? any links to info?

GSSF - You folks are GREAT!;f

10. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Hey do you know Red??? I was shooting with this LEO on some stages on Sunday at the same time you were there?

11. Grey Matter

Grey Matter

This was my 2nd time at Shelton. The staff of the Shelton club is fantastic. The match was very well run & the wait times were lower than last year.

I shot better this year than last year. That is all I really hoped for.

Was he a tall guy in a Hawaiian shirt?

12. Morris

Morris CLM

Naw. I was the redhead in the black t-shirt bearing the message,

"Peace through superior firepower."

Tall guy in Hawaiian shirt was shoting the 5 to Glock like a house afire! Very tight groups, slower times but very fine groups.

And Red be me!

13. Dino Rustler

Dino Rustler

Arrived about 10:15 Sunday. Finished hour and half later. I always go on Sunday am. Never takes longer than hour and half to shoot. I have arrived as early as 9 and as late as 10:15.
    This was my 3rd year there. Have always had nice weather and everything is close and easy to get around.
    Was suprised to see old paper score sheets and not the PDA's. Was figuring they would have the PDA's and had planned for a much longer day.Did 5 to Glock the best I have ever done (thank you GSSF Masters for the hints). Had 2 D's at 25 yards..got to work on that!! My raw time was slow but A & B hits solved that.
    The plates were the slowest event. Only place I heard any minor grumbling about the wait.
    As usual I had a great time. Nice going to an event as a shooter and not as a RO.

14. Morris

Morris CLM

Hey Dino! You the tall fellow wearing glasses and wearing the colorful shirt? Someone shooting along side me made some killer groups on the 5 to Glock.

15. Grey Matter

Grey Matter

It is me. I am the tall guy in the Hawaiian shirt & sun glasses. My strategy this year was to slow way down & not miss the a-b zone. It seems to have worked for me. I have no idea what my times were, but the way I figure shooting slower & accruing fewer penalties is a good way to go.

I really had fun shooting the major sub category with my G30. On the plates I did not miss one plate. Only having 7 rounds really forces you to focus on accuracy.

Overall GSSF matches are weighted pretty heavily to accuracy over speed. I really like that.

16. damienv

damienv

GSSF continues to be intersting.

I was shooting a Glock 32, 26, 17l and 29. I shot everything better then the 17L. My steel scores were in the 6's with my 32, in the 4's and 5's with the 26, in the 6's with my G29, and in the 7's to 9's with my 17L. Go figure...It may be time to part company with that thing... My 32 still performs well.

I had had my 29 less then a week when I shot it at match. I was very impressed. I'll tell you what, you hit a plate with 180 grain round going 1200fps, they go down right then...

Next year I am going to shoot unlimited with my 9x25 Glock 20. 125 Grains at 1700 feet per second. You'll know it from the sound...

My only negative feedback was the way the plates were run... There seemed to be some periods of mass confusion and a couple of the gents running it were a little unclear on the rules.

Overall, another succussful outing...

17. Farmer

Farmer

Damienv if you want to sell off your 17L let me know I have been looking for one.

18. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

OK Red I looked at the results and it seems you DNFed from Am Civ????? NOw what is an LEO doing in AmCiv????:)

19. Morris

Morris CLM

Huh?? I need to look at the scores to see WTH was that. I fired everything, or so I thought.

20. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I just took a look at the posted preliminary results and it appears you signed up to shoot both AmCiv and Am Guardian and that is not allowed. You can only shoot one or the other. Check www.gssfonline.com to review the rules plus this is also noted on the registration form right above these 2 entries.

If you did not sign up for both then something else may be the problem.