Shedding

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by akapennypincher, Mar 31, 2005.

1. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

Myn problem is my Dog Sheds too much, and good advice as to Food Additives to stop the problem?

Problem pictured below.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Ahhhh, a good coating or two of shellaq ought to nip that problem in the bud!!

Heh heh...oh, yeah...ummm, sorry.

Switch foods gradually and brush your pooch outdoors every day. What are you feeding it now?

3. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

Science Diet Lamb & Rice...

4. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

most dogs shed. i have one of the worst shedders i've ever seen. my only advice is to brush/vaccuum more :)

when my pup last threw her coat, i took her outside and rubbed her down with vigor. there were literally clouds of white fur floating around the backyard for a few days.

my mom comes over my house and says, "when is the last time you vaccuumed?"

i say, "a couple days ago..."

she calls BS, saying that with this much hair on my (dark) carpet, i probably haven't vaccuumed in a few weeks.

i brush my teeth, she pulls my vaccuum out and does the rug. she comes over a couple days later for one reason or another. looks at the rug and says, "oh...my...God." it looked the same as it did before...lololololololololol.

i demanded an apology, while laughing :)

5. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Penny,
    Get off the SD, its a horrible food in my opinion. I like Nutro-Max or Solid Gold for my dog.
    Also a good shampoo will help. Get something with an aloe and coconut oil base and shampoo once a week for a month or so. Keep in mind that your dog will shed this time of year no matter what you do, but we can slow it down some.

6. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

There is a dietary supplement called Omega that is supposed to help. My vet recommended it last time I was there with my cat, cause she sheds white hair copiously all over my black clothes. (I think she does it on purpose). Omega is protein and amino acids and you put in on or in their food. My cat won't touch it, so I honestly can't tell you if it really works or not. You may want to ask your vet about it.

7. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

my rottie blows coat something fierce twice a year (fall and spring) and i have found that giving him fish oil capsules daily really helps to cut down on the amount of hair. i know several other rottweiler owners who do the same and have the same results. i just buy the capsules from walgreens when they have their buy one get one free sale. you can also give dogs salmon oil.

some people suggest 1000 mg per every 10-20 lbs of your dog. i give mine 5 capsules and he weighs about 100 lbs.

you might consider a different food as previously mentioned. my dog gets a frozen chicken leg quarter in the AM and canidae dog food at night. not sure if that helps cut down on the shedding but his coat sure does look nice :) . a really good brushing might help too. get one of those curry brushes they use for horses. it works well for getting rid of the hair.

8. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

uhm...jaegergirl...don't you realize that rottie is bound to turn on you or kill some kids some day? they are almost as bad as pitbulls!!!

;z ;z ;z

okay...in all seriousness, certain breeds blow coat a couple times a year...like i posted earlier, its hell on the vaccuum!

i do give my pup the occasional boiled egg for her coat (amazing how that works), along with any lean meat leftovers i have. i feed her purina, which some may or may not agree with...but i think its a decent food...and have seen several dogs do well on it, but die young on the "expensive" stuff...weird, huh? :)

omega 3 fatty acids for dogs are never bad either...

9. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

ssshh, don't tell HIM that. he thinks he's a lover, not a fighter. i've heard they turn on you sometime after their 3rd b-day and he just turned 3 today! i guess the carnage could occur any day now... ;f ;P ;)

10. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

my breed was dangerous back in the day; thankfully, with pitts, dobies, and rotties, she knows she is no longer dangerous! :)

11. W Turner

W Turner

Copious shedding is exactly why my wife and I won't get another GSD. The female we have right now sheds year round and it gets much worse in the fall and spring.
    Fish oil or any derivative is not an option as she is highly allergic to fish. The results of her eating fish are rather...ahem, EXPLOSIVE...not to mention smelly. She is also allergic to chiken and lamb. the only food she can eat is Purina One Beef and Rice formula, otherwise she either gets diarrhea or ear infections.

Bull