close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shedding problem.....

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Me&MyG23, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Me&MyG23

Me&MyG23 Right here!

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just wanted to drop in and ask a question. We have a 7 month old Female Rott/Sheppard that sheds like mad! We brush her about 3 times a week and she gets a weekly bath. Is there anything we can do to keep the shedding down? Thanks in advance!

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Me&MyG23,
    What kind of food are you using and what kind of shampoo???

3. Me&MyG23

Me&MyG23 Right here!

We are using Science Diet Large Breed Puppy Food and Sergents Flea and Tick Shampoo.

4. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Ok now were are getting somewhere.
    First up, there is a health food store on 19 a little further north (maybe a block or 2) from the "Wing House" on the opppsite side of the street. Go there and get "Solid Gold" adult dog food. It cost a little more than SD but its way better for her and will help with the shedding a ton!!!!
    Next on the way home stop by Pet Supermarket and pick up a tar and oatmeal shampoo. I think the name brand is "Nova Pearls" and switch to that, while you are in there pick up a shedding blade and use that ONCE a week only then use your brush the rest of the week.
    The reason I say adult food is because A) your girl is 7months and should be an adult food by no later than 10months anyway B) its a few bucks cheaper. It has all the nutrients she will need for a growing pup. When you switch her over to the new food, do it gradually, like over a 2 week period. Start her out with a couple of nuggets only to keep her from getting diarrhea.
    Dont waste your money on anything from a grocery store,(hartz & Sergents) will actually add to the shedding problem along with SD. I posted in another thread I would feed my dog road kill before SD. It's that bad in my opinion;Q
    While in Pet Supermarket tell Diane (store manager) Big Mike said hey. :) She could tell you stories;Q :cool:
    Godd luck bro and feel free to let me know how its going.

ps if you couldnt tell I used to live in NPR;f

5. Me&MyG23

Me&MyG23 Right here!

Thanks for all the help. I will send the wife out tonight to pick the food and shampoo. I really appreciate you taking the time to post! Thanks!! :)

6. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Glad to help out partner.;f
    Let me know how she does? ;c

7. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

I just switched Iggy over to Solid Gold Wolf Pup. Its $$$, but its got good stuff, and you use less. Vets really push SD, but I think they get kickbacks. Look at the first few ingredients in SD large breed puppy (I happen to have an unopened bag here that the vet GAVE me. Yeah, they're not getting paid to push SD). corn meal, chicken BY PRODUCT meal, corn gluten meal... Doesn't look too nutritious to me. Now let's look at Solid Gold Wolf pup... Bison, Salmon meal, brown rice.

8. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

G20,
    What do you think of Canidae as an adult food. It was recommended to me, and I am mainly doing SG because it was the only good large breed puppy food at my local natural place. Canidae is quite a bit cheaper IIRC.

PS-Iggy and I drove to LA and back on monday to pick my dad up from the hospital. He is a GREAT car dog. Made 2 pit stops on the way out, played with him til he passed out before we got back in the car, and he slept the whole way home. 5.5 hours! Fed and played for another hour after getting home, and he slept through the night. I was amazed.

9. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

Just found this section. I just happened to have my kitty at the vet last night for her yearly, vet noticed that she sheds a lot. He gave me a dietary supplement called Omega that is mostly proteins and amino acids. It will (supposedly) improve the health of her skin and coat so shedding is reduced. They had it for the canine lovers also. I only got it last night, so I can't give you any info as to if it actually works or not, but the vet says he uses it and it works...he also offered to buy it back if it didn't work. It cost $16, so we'll see!

10. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Very Nice Scowan!!!!!
    Mine loves the car too, last May I took him for a drive up to N. Carolina and back. It was a roundtripper (to bring a delivery up to a client) and was 24 hours in the car straight!!!! ;P
    He slept for 2 days when we got back.;f
    As far as the food, honestly never heard of it...
    As far as SG goes, I swear by it. I have seen that food, all by itself clear up more problems than I can list. Its just great food and I drive an hour and half to get mine once a month.
    GlockGirl26
    Welcome, always nice to have a female around. ;f
    Yes the omega works and works well but I figured Me&MyG23 was feeding SD, so he needed a change of food to start with. If shedding is still a problem 3-5 months from now I would also recommend that too him, but I am thinking the food should help out a bunch.;)

ps Hey Scowan, how's the whinning doing???

11. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Since we are chiming in on Science Diet I wanna tell you I have Max the siamese on it and in the month after I got him he gained a full pound up to 10 pounds 9 oz.....!!!

His fur is soft and filling in and it is smooth and even.......he really has energy and is really looking and feeling good......I am impressed because he was kind of rough looking when I first got him.

Maybe Science Diet feline formulas are better made than the dog formula......I used "Dental Diet" for my cat.

PetsMart has it for alot cheaper than that rip off "Petco" place where everything is several dollars higher (and I do mean everything!!):( (Petsmart has it for $5.99 for a 3.5 pound bag as opposed to Petco's price of $8.99 for the same thing!!):(

12. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

G20,

Whining is getting better slowly. He is still a big baby. :)

13. Me&MyG23

Me&MyG23 Right here!

Well, we managed to find the Solid Gold at Dog Lovers right here in Tarpon Springs. I just started her today on it and that bowl of food didn't have a chance! I guess she really liked it. Hopefully in the next few weeks we can expect the shedding to decrease. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for the advice/tips! ^c

14. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Glad to hear it ;)
    Please tell me you mixed the new food in with the old?
    If not, go right now and get some Immodium AD for her cause she will need it in about 3 hours ;P ;)
    Give the food a good 2 months to work too.
    Keep me posted ;f

15. Me&MyG23

Me&MyG23 Right here!

Yea, I gave her about 1/4 of the Solid Gold and 3/4 SD. She just ate another bowl of it about 1 hour ago. She really seems to like it so far.

16. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

well, having a shepherd is guaranteeing hair in clumps on the floor :)

they 'throw' their coats a couple times a year, and the shedding in unbelievable.

when my pup threw her (i believe) undercoat, i would take her out to the yard and rub my hands over her real fast...there would literally be CLUMPS of fur floating around.

tis perfectly normal. when she started scratching and such i put her on a couple brewer's yeast/omega 3 fatty acid pills (from walmart) a day, and her coat got incredibly soft :)

17. JasoninPrescott

JasoninPrescott

I have a Walker coonhound that sheds like crazy, I feed him Science Diet Large breed and I give him a pill to stop his shedding called Shed-no-more. Is there anything else I could do?

18. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Jason go here and find out where you can get some of this food. It is not a cure all but its a good start for your dog. Also keeping him clean (inside) will help but this time of year they are shedding quite a bit. Also find a good tar and oatmeal shampoo and give a bath at least 4 times a month (once a week is fine).
    Look at diet and environment for contributing factors to excessive shedding problems.....;c

19. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

we feed our dog canidae and he's done really well on it.

we also give him fish oil capsules which i originally started because he was having a bout with dry skin. the added bonus is it GREATLY reduces shedding. i've had several other rottweiler owners (i belong to a rottie forum) tell me they have the same results. you may want to give that a try. i just bought the fish oil from walgreens (it was buy one get one free). they are 1200 mg and i give him 4 a day.

i swear by the stuff.

20. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

You might want to check out

http://www.canidae.com/

I have used this before, and it is a very good feed, it might be a little light on the fat content, but overwise, it's very good.

If the link works, they have some interesting articles.

Good luck, Hardeyes