close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shed install and sprinkler question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Crusher47, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Crusher47

Crusher47 The one & only

I'm looking to install a shed on the back corner of my yard. There is currently a sprinkler head there so it will need to be capped. I'm not comfortable doing this myself, so I will be calling a sprinkler guy to do it....rough idea of what this would cost?

Also, I'm planning on just getting a wood shed from Home Depot or Lowes, one of those build your own pre-fab units. Anyone ever buy/build one of these? Comments? Worth it to have it professionally done? I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but if the pieces are going to be all wrong and you need advance contractor skills to do this, then I don't see myself doing it.

I'm trying to stay cheap as possible because I have a limited budget and want more of the money to go towards converting my garage into man cave #2, but don't want the shed to be too cheesy or fall over in a year.

Thanks!

2. faceplant

faceplant

The sprinkler head should by quite easy. Dig it up find out how it connects to the line. Go to lowes or HD and get the part to cap it. Most likely a couple of bucks.

The sheds I am unfamiliar with.

3. gadget_guy

gadget_guy The handyman

I would do sprinkler stuff yourself - way easy. Chances are you can plug this with just like a 1/2" plastic cap once you remove the sprinkler. (dig around it to make this easy).

Sheds - depends. I just had a shed (actually a playhouse) moved. Cost a lot, but totally worth it! This was 8x10, very well built and I assume very heavy. I didn't want myself or someone else getting hurt moving this, so $350 got a shed company with a fancy trailer to move this into the new position in my yard.

I will post a few photos of that process. The last few feet of the trailer would move back and forth so he was able pivot into position without anyone having to do any more than press buttons on a remote.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, you probably will need to modify and adjust the sprinklers around this to correctly water and also not soak your shed.

Before my playhouse showed up, I had the spot picked out (even had power and water run to the edge and ready to pull into the playhouse) and had all corners and midpoints leveled with large paver bricks (the 9" x 18" ones) I did have to move some as we pivoted this into position, but before it was set down, I got all the bricks back in there, set and everything was perfectly level. Make sure you do this first to verify your location is level and ready for the shed.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  4. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

What others have said, this is an EASY job. I've capped several in my yard over the years. Basically, dig around the sprinkler head, find out what type of thread the head screws in to, and go to any home store. Take your sprinkler head in, and they should be able to find a cap for you.

On the shed, don't skimp. I'm planning on building a 10X12 shed this spring on a concrete slab that I have to pour. Consider what is in your shed and what it's worth in considering how much you want to put into a quality shed. Mine will have all my power equipment, mowers, snow blowers, MC and garden stuff. It'll be of good quality.

Before you go with the big box stores, get a contractor to bid on the shed, you may be surprised.

5. gadget_guy

gadget_guy The handyman

I would second this.

If building a shed is not something you can do yourself (I will be adding onto the playhouse you see above with a "playhouse garage" to store my lawnmower and tools in the spring) then you can probably have one built on site for about the same or less than what the kit sells for at the box stores. Should be of better quality too.

[​IMG]

6. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Yeh, capping the line is simple. Remove the head, the riser may come with it. Decide if you want to cap the line with a male plug or cap the riser with a female cap. If the latter, replace the riser and stuff a rag in the line. Take the head to the store to match the pipe size and buy the cap or plug.pick up some teflon tape while you're there. When you remove the rag, turn on the water for a couple of seconds to flush any dirt that fell in when you removed the head. Wrap a couple wraps of teflon tape clockwise on the pipe or plug and install the cap on the riser or plug in the line. Don't repack your soil and sod until you've run your system to verify no leaks.

It will take you less time to do this than it took me to type it. :embarassed:

Good luck.

7. gadget_guy

gadget_guy The handyman

And to save you a trip, get out $3 and buy a male and female cap / plug in both 1/2" and 3/4" and a roll of tape before you remove the sprinkler head. At least what you find you will have ready. You could have that done in less than a commercial break on TV.

8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Just a thought, map you yard's sprinkler head locations in the event you want to reactivate them. This may not apply for putting a shed on top of one, but changing landscaping etc. over the years, it's good to know approx. where the heads were located, or when selling the house you can tell the new owners where the capped heads are.

9. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I must have a trailer like that.

If I did, I would move people's **** for free.

10. kiole

kiole

I do irrigation and I would charge 65$ to do it. minimum 1hr charge.

My tip go to homedepot and build a cap, it's a very easy job

Your going to either need

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Or

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

You basically need a 3/4inch or 1/2inch pvc cap. Simply dig up the sprinkler body unscrew the sprinkler body and replace with the appropriate sized cap. Make sure you don't get any dirt in the line.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010