She shack under constuction

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Sep 26, 2020.

1. norton

norton

To the Op
    Looks like a nice storage unit. Hope the Mrs is happy with it.

I was talking to a friend last week-he's my age-near retirement-We both agreed that wives today, especially those age 45 and younger- in many cases seem to have little or no respect for their husbands. I can think of at least a 1/2 dozen I know who fall into this category. Husbands are imbeciles, can't do anything right. They are like puppy dogs, underfoot, trying to make their wives happy by doing everything the Mrs wants. Wives respond by rolling their eyes, snapping at their men over the most trivial things.
    In 3 of the half dozen I mentioned above divorce happened in less then 5 years. They used their husbands to provide a child, kicked them to the curb, then spend their remaining years asking for more child support and using the kids as barter.

I'm lucky, I got a good one.

2. norton

norton

3. davethehiker

davethehiker

I think she is delighted with it! I'll know more when we move her belongings into it.

I'm an old man and not qualified to have an opinion younger women half my age. The women my age are wonderful. They love and respect men who are worthy. I have used some younger pretty women as toys when I was in between wives. But the younger women and I understood that there was no need for mutual respect. If things have changed for younger people, it's very sad.

4. davethehiker

davethehiker

Progress on the She Shack has been slow but study:
    shedsequence-9.jpg

5. davethehiker

davethehiker

No, just tar paper shingles and paint.

6. Z71bill

Z71bill

So basically you are going to store the stuff for a few years before you (or someone else) throw it away or sell it for 10% of what it is worth today.

It is a plan - not what I would do - but if it makes you and your wife happy then fine with me.

Joebiker likes this.
  7. davethehiker

davethehiker

Nearing completion. Still needs another coat of paint, shingles, ridge vents, one floor vent, two small sky lights/eight inch light pipes and white trim.

shedsequence-10.jpg

8. bill123

bill123

And steps or ramp

porch, roof over door, led lights

Joshhtn likes this.
  9. RenoF250

RenoF250

Nice, make sure all the vents have metal screen on them.

davethehiker likes this.
  10. davethehiker

davethehiker

Yep, I already have two types of screen; Heavy "Rat Wire" to deter rodents and another layer of a finer screen to block wasps, bees, flies and such. The front door makes a nice tight seal. Once we move the furniture in into it, we will keep an open container of mothballs in there. The vapors released by mothballs are an insecticide that bugs, rodents, and even snakes can smell and will avoid. I'll hold my breath when I need periodically replenish the mothballs. My plan is that once furniture makes a trip into this shed, it will never come out. My wife will be happy knowing that the treasures handed down by her grandparents will remain safe for prosperity. Some things that are done for emotional reasons do not need to make financial sense.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  11. davethehiker

davethehiker

We will back the moving truck up the the open door like a loading dock and move things from the truck into the shed. I'll keep a small four foot ladder in the inside that I can reach in and pull out to climb into the shed when I need to. I'll also have another ladder to reach the lofts.

I have two eight inch round light-pipes that will go into holes in the roof that will provide some light during the day. There are battery powered led lights that include motion detectors that can be used at night. I don't plan on entering that shed at night. After I see how much light the light pipes and little window in the door provide, I'll decide if I need more light. Remember, this thing is for one way storage, a sort of modern "Pyramid." LOL

It will never be used as a workshop. I have another shed for that, with electricity and power tools. I guess that's the "He-Shed." I share my "He-Shed" with mice, groundhogs, and the occasional snake.

12. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Why not add a door that she can access?

13. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy

That was my first thought. :dunno:

Tiny door and it will need a few steps built to get to it. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Why not add a double door to it??

SRS, G30SF/F-250 and FullClip like this.
  14. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

That house-like entrance door ensures he will not be sneaking a lawn tractor in to invade her space.

davethehiker likes this.
  15. Ay Dios Mio

Ay Dios Mio

Inswing door takes up a lot of floor space...the door should open out to give more area for storage. There should be an overhang above the door. You don't want residential locks exposed to weather and crud without some shielding...keys will stop working.

RenoF250, SRS and Joshhtn like this.
  16. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy

Yep.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  17. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy

Here's my "He Shack" (lol)...

20201007_091405.jpg

Double swing-out doors, steps, and overhang.

davethehiker and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  18. bubbaturbo

bubbaturbo

Dave
    What you should have posted was:
    "I am having a shed built but I can't tell you why. It will be built perfectly but I can't tell you how. I might show you some in progress and finished pictures but probably not." We could still probably find something you're doing wrong though even if we have to make it up. :flag:

GlockPride and davethehiker like this.
  19. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Should be placed on a clean stone pad or concrete. Rain washing off the roof will splash mud from unstabilized soil and exacerbate the decay of the lower wood. The roof should overhang the front and sides more, rain will sheet flow down the walls and penetrate the structure at edges. The joint between the two sheets of T-111 should be addressed with a some sort of hardware or trim to prevent warping and consequential intrusion of water in the gaps. The substructure confuses me. Trees and shrubs should be cleared a bit further away from the building.

*Edited to add-I am not criticizing what you're doing Dave I am just bringing up areas of concern you may want to address with the builders prior to the job being finalized/paid out so you get your money's worth.

G30SF/F-250 and Joshhtn like this.
  20. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

I hope you have a plan for keeping the rodents out. My parents have a wood shed like yours built on a concrete foundation and they had had no luck keeping the mice out. maybe the best luck they have had mitigating the situation is the rolling log 5 gal bucket trap (with some antifreeze mixed in for winter). The only problem is they need to go out there at least once per month to add water and dump the dead mice.