She shack under constuction

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Sep 26, 2020.

1. davethehiker

davethehiker

I think one of the reasons that that our marriage works and I'm able to wear the pants is that beside the fact that we love and respect each other is that we married when we were in our seventies and have a prenup. The house is mine. We are both financially independent. We were both prodigious savers. She saved most of her life and lived a modest life style because she knew her son would never be able to hold a meaningful job. She was saving so her son would have enough to care for him the rest of his life, after she passed away. She was surprised when she outlived him. She has a great teachers pension and could get along fine without my support.

I was just stupid lucky with money. I can't imagine finding another woman to replace her. If I outlive her, I'll get a dog.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    GlockPride, MB-G26 and shadowlands like this.
  2. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

If it works for you then it’s nobody else’s business. I say get a dog you can both love while you’re both living. Animals add years to your life. I recommend a lab mix mutt.

MB-G26, shadowlands and davethehiker like this.

3. davethehiker

davethehiker

I always liked labs. They don't seem to know they are dogs. They think they are people.

Borg Warner and Budqweiser like this.
  4. DAKA

DAKA

In reality, IT'S JUST STUFF...
    Eventually no one wants it, so unless you can store it very cheaply, why save it....
    We just moved into a new house, got rid of a lot of "Stuff" before we moved and are still thinning out.... mostly photos save some but we have double and triples of prints, and pictures that neither of have any idea who these people are. OUT WITH IT.....

davethehiker likes this.
  5. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

I had a lab/beagle mix that was one of the sweetest living things I’ve met. Get a dog. They don’t play the piano but they do eat a lot.

davethehiker likes this.
  6. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

Stop being so judgmental, guys. :upeyes:

His generation is different, and saw no issue with the man wearing the paints:

F37492E5-7A76-49C4-8649-E829A10F96E7.jpeg

davethehiker likes this.
  7. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Good for you Dave. I don't see a problem with having a she shed built for her. I had one built for my wife...saved $200/month. I ended up with half of it. Sign on her side says Lynn...my side says Dog House...dual purpose...

[​IMG]

8. Aljames

Aljames

Be like Dave.

MB-G26 likes this.
  9. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    That looks like a very nice space that is wired for electricity and gets used regularly.

10. davethehiker

davethehiker

Cute structure with rain spouts and electric! It does not look like it's for storage with two doors and windows on the same side. What is it really for?!

11. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Thanks. The county limits unpermitted sheds to 200 sq ft. This one is 10X20, with a 4' concrete extension for the garbage/recycle containers.
    Like most extra space, it fills up with "stuff". The wife retires Wednesday and we've decided to go on a purge...lol

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  12. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

It is for storage. There is a wall across the center. My yard equipment is on one side..mostly seasonal decorations on the other. The construction style and color scheme match the house. The other reason for the build, was some lowlife broke into our barn style shed and stole all of my Stihl power equipment...came back the next night for the gas cans...lol.

[​IMG]

ThatGuyYouKnow and davethehiker like this.
  13. davethehiker

davethehiker

I think you meant to type "wife" not "wire." Wires retire when the fuse blows. LOL

14. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

oops...fixed.

15. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

Make sure you have air conditioning installed or her stuff will get moldy.

Plus then you can move into the shed like @pgg00 .

FullClip and pgg00 like this.
  16. pgg00

pgg00

The shed is comfy. Less *****ing

17. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod

Happy wife, happy life. Some people just don't get that.

MB-G26 and Hannie Caulder like this.
  18. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

They're just people in dog form who like to swim and fetch things.

My Lab-Sheppard mix loved to chase squirrels. One time she caught one. She had chased it up a big tree and at about 4 feet up the tree she snapped at the squirrel and caused it to change direction and it started running around the tree.

But instead of chasing it around the tree she sat back and waited for it to come around and grabbed it and shook it and snapped it's neck. She caught a couple of rats, too and killed them the same way.

That dog could almost talk and had a large vocabulary of words she understood.

Hannie Caulder and davethehiker like this.
  19. davethehiker

davethehiker

Unfortunately that's not practically possible because there is not electrical power where the shed is being built. The A/C has been off in her old house for the past two years, and I did not notice a problem with mold. Maybe we will see some when we move every thing from her old house into my home and her shed. I'm going to have passive ventilation built into vents in the roof ridge and a floor vent. I really do not know everything that she plans to move but most of it is solid furniture and a huge collection of wind-up glass snow globes. Her clothing has been moved into my house years ago. I'm going to put a lot of moth balls into the shed and under it to discourage mice, wasps, snakes and such.

She jokes that she is going to put a bed in the loft for when she gets mad at me. I don't think it will very livable because of the fumes from the mothballs (insecticide). The mothballs dissipate and need to be replenished every six months or so. I'll hold me breath when I open the door and run in to dump more mothballs.

There are two self-storage businesses on ether side of my property. One of the owners of a self-storage place told told me about the use of mothballs. He also recommended the use of large plastic containers for small things because cardboard boxes do not hold up to dampness and time. I doubt that the door to the shed will ever be opened for anything other than to replace the mothballs. This is less painful for her than throwing her belongings into the trash. Life is not always logical. Emotional needs must be respected.

MB-G26, Haldor and Hannie Caulder like this.
  20. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I am pretty sure no one wants to go into a little shed full of mothballs and mold so you are correct.

FullClip, Hannie Caulder and Joshhtn like this.