close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

she reboots in a loop

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by whiskey_moodz, Feb 15, 2005.

1. whiskey_moodz

whiskey_moodz

okay last night I had a power failure at the house and my machine turned off..I waited till the morning to boot up again and I am now getting this message..

we apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfull. a recent hardware or software change might have cause this.

if your computer has stop responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recet settings that worked

if a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what cause the problem, choose start windows normally

Safe mode
    safe mode w/ networking
    safe mode w/ command prompt

last know good configuration

start windows normally

I have tried every option there is to reboot but nothing works. It goes to reload and then it reboots itself and goes right back to this screen.
    Some one please tell me that the hard drive is not fired.
    If you have any idea let me know...

Whiskey Moodz

2. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

Do you get a blue screen prior to re-boot? What does it say?

If it says
    You receive a "Stop: c0000135" and "winsrv was not found" error message after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

Microsoft Q885523

3. Toyman

Toyman

Sounds like this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309481

But their solution is to right click on the file, which is going to be kinda hard if it doesn't boot.

The following is just guesswork on my part from doing a little research, try at your own risk.

You might try RENAMING THE FILE: C:\Windows\Bootstat.dat, but that's just a guess on my part. This posting suggests something like this:
    http://computerhelpforum.org/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t1179.html

You might try booting from a floppy disk (or using the Windows XP Recovery Console), then going to c:\windows\ and doing this:

Code:
    ATTRIB -C bootstat.dat
    That should uncompress the file.

4. whiskey_moodz

whiskey_moodz

Nope, No blue screen... the machine gives me a beep
    does a memory scan, tells me my drives.. then what I posted above is what I get as the next screen.

Whiskey Moodz

5. whiskey_moodz

whiskey_moodz

Can't even log into windows to get there.

I after booting from the winxp pro disc. I can get to the setup screen I have tried to use the Recovery Console but my password doesn't seem to work.
    I am half temped to just say screw it and format that drive.

Whiskey Moodz

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

When using the the CD for Recovery Console after updating to SP1 or SP2 you need to choose install then on next srceen you will have the option again of entering R.The first screen won't work on updated systems.

7. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

have you tried leaving the password field blank?

it's the administrator password which might not be the same as your user password.

8. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The quick and easy fix is to buy a new, larger HDD and remove the one with the balky XP installed on it for now.

Run the XP (or Restore) disk and format NTFS, then let it install itself.

After the 'new' OS is up and running, and if it wasn't a Compaq (or other OEM) recovery disk then you will probably be prompted to Activate.

That's easy; Slave the old HDD into the machine on the same IDE cable.

Then you toggle Show Hidden Files in System32 and grab the old copy of System32\wpa.dbl; rename the new OSes copy to wpa.newacct and simply r.click and drag the old copy of wpa.dbl into the new System32 folder. It really is that easy.

This only works if the new drive is the ONLY hardware change you make, however...if it doesn't work, you'll need to make a phone call.

This will fix it for sure, so if you try everything else spend $80 and get a new HDD before you take it out behind the barn with the twelve gauge in hand!!

This always works, as long as the rest of the PC is okay.

Good luck.

PS. Buy a damn UPS!!!