close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shaving Bullets?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by KillStick, Jan 22, 2010.

1. KillStick

KillStick

I was at the local gun shop and was talking to the owner about my g23C and he said that I shouldn't shoot hollowpoints thru it. He stated that the compensation prematurely shave the copper jacket from the hollow point and can hurt the shooter. He said since the compensated portion is drilled toward the end of the barrel that this is the trouble some area for shaving hollowpoints. Has anyone had any problems with this or should I not be concerned? I just wanted feed back on this situation and if it has ever been documented.:dunno:

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Finding another gun shop would be my suggestion.

3. KillStick

KillStick

Haha I like the guy and his prices i just know to take everything with a grain of salt. I didn't know if this had any value or not.

4. Dexters

Dexters

Ask him if he is discounting them since they are dangerous?

5. KillStick

KillStick

you guys are on it, I need you around for the quick responses. Could have got it half off with you lol.

6. Stuntman_Mike

Stuntman_Mike /̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

That is textbook gunshop bullsh1t. classic

7. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

He's a moron apparently.

8. HK Dan

HK Dan

Well, JHPs are the PREFERRED round for guns with real compensators (yours is ported). I've shot JHPs through my ported .44 Magnum for years with no ill effect. I'd through in the bullspit towel on this one.

9. KillStick

KillStick

kind of what I thought fellas thanks for the confirmation

10. ronin.45

ronin.45

You're much more likely to shave lead than jacket. Since lead is a no-no in glocks it isn't really an issue. The ports are designed to not shave anyway.

What he really should have warned you about was how every single glock .40 ever made has Kaboom'd :whistling:

11. KillStick

KillStick

Yea I know ronin thats why you should trade me for that revolver:whistling:

12. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

There is only one place you can get worse advice than from the internet. That is a gunshop commando. :dancing:

13. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

ANY barrel-ported barrel is going to "cheese-grate" rounds that pass through it.

That is, as the base of the bullet passes the port, the pressure deforms the (soft copper/nickel) base just enough that when it hits the end of the port, the deformation is shaved off by the front edge of the port, just like grated cheese. The tiny copper/nickel shavings are then blown out with considerable force by the gas venting through the port as well.

This is NORMAL with this type of barrel.

I had a 1911 Magna-ported back in the 70's, right through the slide, barrel, and bushing, and IT would "cheese grate" too. I had enough experience with that gun to know not to do or buy another one like it ever again.

The main thing you have to worry about is that if you are doing "Mic-Lic" drills (where the target is inside arms length, draw, point from the hip, fire) you rotate your wrist "outward" so that the comp does not send any "cheese parings" up your nose or eye or other sensitive area. And that there is no one to you side that might catch them either.

Frankly, I think this kind of comping is a solution in search of a problem. I think a good stance and grip gives you all the muzzle control you will ever need.

If this really, really bothers you just buy and put in an un-comped G-23 or G-32 barrel. Problem solved.

And the gun store commando is just that. Not as knowledgeable as he makes himself out to be. The cheese paring is coming off the BASE of the bullet. Whether the point is hollow or fmj makes NO difference. Further, ALL Glock barrels are designed for jacketed bullets. It is a bad idea to shoot anything ELSE through them. Lead bullets, which can lead to pressure problems, will cheese-grate even WORSE since the metal is softer.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  14. Dingus

Dingus

Norske,

You never cease to amaze me. See you at Topton in August.

15. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Another example of just plain "stupid":upeyes:

16. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

This is NOT a gun store myth.

Wes LaHuiller, Senior range master at Front Sight had a shaving off of a round from his "C" model glock enter his neck and he needed emergency surgery to stop the bleeding. Rare but yes it can happen.
    They can shave any bullet, HP or ball. Just keep your face away from the ports.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  17. sixftunda

sixftunda

Yep, my brand new G23C has shaved at least 2 of the 600 or so rounds I have put through it. I have started a thread about this before but now I finally have some validation that it's normal.

18. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

It is real and it is normal and unless you are doing close contact drills it is not a big deal. In a close contact drill you have the gun close to the body and that places your face over the holes. Be aware of the possibility and protect your eyes.

19. tango44

tango44

+1 on this one!

20. voyager4520

voyager4520

Only thing I've ever heard is not to used plated bullets in a ported gun, but rather to use jacketed.