close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sharpning knives

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Jul 15, 2002.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

I need to get a knife sharpner. whats a good fool proff sharpner?

2. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

I'd recommend the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker it can sharpen just about anything and the cost is reasonable. Best of all it makes it easy to produce shaving sharp blades.

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock No California

Ditto shortcut. I love my sharpmaker.

4. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

5. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

What is the best/cheapest place to get a Sharpmaker?

I must be a real klutz; I bought a Lansky Deluxe Kit (4-stone) and I can't seem to get that "factory fresh" edge, like I'm looking for. I haven't got a clue what I might be doing wrong.

I need something "KLUTZ-PROOF"!;g

6. okie

okie GT Mayor

Thanks for the info everybody.:) Will go look for that puppy.;a

7. buckshot

buckshot Millennium Member

Another vote for the sharpmaker.

Had a Loray (Lansky clone) wasnt happy, got a Lansky, wasnt happy. Got a Spyderco Sharpmaker and was reasonablly happy but I just got the new Sharpmaker 204D which has both 30 and 40 degree angles (Only Spyderco Sharpmaker only did 30 I believe) and now I am happy.

My recommendation for best price will be www.newgraham.com or www.knifeworks.com. Both great places to deal with.

8. ThinkOfTheChildren

Go to www.newgraham.com for your Spyderco buying needs: great prices and service. If they don't have what you're looking for, go to www.knifeworks.com

Just to clarify, 204MF is the product code for the Sharpmaker (to designate that it comes with medium and fine stones). 204D is the designation for the optional diamond rods.

The old Spyderco Sharpmaker 203 only had a 40 degree setting, no 30. But the 203 has been long gone from the stocks of online shops.

9. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I think that I'm going to order the Spyderco 204MF due to my dissatisfaction with my Lansky. Should I also order the diamond rods; I don't want to be disappointed, again.

I don't consider myself a "knife guy", but I carry a Kershaw 1550ST everyday. I originally tried sharpening it with the Lansky at the 30 degree angle, but was not pleased with the results. I then tried the 20 degree angle; it seems a little better, but still not factory sharp.

Any comments from you knowledgeable folks would be appreciated.

10. ThinkOfTheChildren

Catbird,

before you switch to the Sharpmaker, try the Lansky a little longer. The 30 and 40 degree settings on the Sharpmaker are inclusive angles. I.E. the 30 setting is actually 15 per side. The total angle becomes 30.

I could be wrong, but I think that the Lansky is set up with angles marked per side. I.E. a 30 degree setting on the Lansky would be 60 degrees of total edge. That is a really thick edge!
    I could be wrong, someone please correct me if I am.

So what settings do you see on your Lansky? Is there something like 15 degrees on there? Try sharpening at this angle and I bet you'll see a huge increase in performance. Of course, this means that the edge will be more likely to roll or chip since it is thinner.

Read Joe's sharpening FAQ: http://knifeart.com/sharfaqbyjoe.html
    Follow his instructions and just apply them to the Lansky.
    Color your edge with a marker and work on the 15 setting until you grind all the marker off down to the very edge and yo raise a burr. Now work on the other side.

The Sharpmaker might give you a better edge, sure, but you might not be using you Lansky right yet. And you shouldn't give up on a good product because of improper technique.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - The diamond rods are only needed for extensive reprofiling. If you do get the Sharpmaker, hold off on the diamond rods until you see how the gray stones work out for you.

11. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

TOTC -
    Thanks for taking the time to respond; I'm certain that these types of questions must be exasperating to the experienced folks.

I have my Lansky here in front of me. The angle slots are marked (from top to bottom) 30, 25, 20 & 17.

When I first started using this sharpener a couple of months ago, I began at the 25 degree setting but am now using the 20.

Because I didn't feel like my knife was very dull, I have only been using the medium, fine & ultra-fine stones...about 100 strokes per side per stone.

I will read the link that you provided and I will use a marker on the edge prior to sharpening.

Maybe this final question can be found in the link, but what method do you prefer to remove that last little burr?

12. GlocksRock

GlocksRock No California

Stropping with leather.

13. ThinkOfTheChildren

No, man, that's what I'm here for. The second these kinds of questions get on my nerves is the day I throw in the towel as moderator of The Cutting Edge and move on my way. I like to take an active role here and if I didn't like it I wouldn't do it.

Ok, try using the 17 degree setting to back bevel (thin out the blade right above the edge) and then grind the primary edge at 20. This will yield an inclusive edge of 40 degrees with a 34 degree backbevel. You can also try just grinding the whole edge on the 17 setting. Like I said, performance will increase as long as the edge doesn't start rolling or chipping. If that happens, you can just go to the next setting up.

Yes, 25 degrees (50 inclusive) is very thick for a folding knife. It's better for a large fixed blade or other implement that will need to chop.

Ok. The problem with counting strokes is that you don't know you've actually hit the edge yet. You might not be sharpening your knife, only removing the shoulders from above the edge. This is why you need to raise a burr, this will tell you that you've gotten to the edge.

Good stuff.

As GlocksRock said, you can strop your blade or another option is to just raise the angle at which you're sharpening and give one or two light strokes per side to grind off the burr. Different people prefer different methods.

Sometimes I strop off the burr and sometimes I grind it off. I don't really have a set preference.

14. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I don't remember whether I heard it, read it or dreamed it, but I think you can strop the burr on a piece of cardboard (like that found on a legal pad) that's placed on a flat surface.

Does that sound correct or am I ;g ;d

15. ThinkOfTheChildren

Yep, cardboard can work, although not as well.

16. Roogalator

Roogalator Senior Grackle

<font face="Times Roman">Well, I finally broke down and bought a Sharpmaker. And <i>you guys are all to blame for it!!!</i> ;)

I haven't had a chance to use it yet because a major clusterfugg at work is eating up all my time. ;9 But I'm looking for an hour or so when I can sit down with a nice, cool glass of Cytomax and a couple pieces of toasted levain w/maple butter, and watch the instructional video.</font>

17. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

*perks ears up*

maple butter? is that like Apple butter?

yummmmm.

I am getting some Sam Adams to watch my video today with. Don't know what snak is approriate yet. Havta get a haircut or the wife will shoot me doncha know.

18. Roogalator

Roogalator Senior Grackle

<font face="Times Roman">Bill, maple butter is one of the four most exquisite tasting things on earth. It has a consistency slightly stiffer than Nutella, but melts nicely when spread on hot toast. I've had several varieties -- plain, with blueberry, and with strawberry. All are sublime, though for its pure maplitude I prefer plain.

Something I <i>haven't</i> tried, and am not sure anyone even makes, but that I would sell my best friend to the first taker to taste, is maple butter made with Grade B syrup. Contrary to common wisdom, the maple syrup grading scale does <i>not</i> refer to quality, it refers to darkness and thus flavor. Grade B syrup is substantially darker than Grade A, and has a taste that has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. Nummers!</font>

19. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

TOTC -

I was talking to a guy at a local gunshow today and he mentioned that he used something called a Chef's Choice (?) electric sharpener.

Do you have any experience with this item or do you have any comments?

20. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

I wouldnt use an electric sharpener on a kitchen knife!

If I stuck my sebenza in an electric sharpener I think Chris Reeve would come take my knife away from me!

Can opener knife sharpener. very ugly stuff.