close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sharing a pistol at a match?, and another ? or 2

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Adept Redneck, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Adept Redneck

Adept Redneck

I am hoping to make it to my first GSSF match in St. Paul.

A couple of questions for you guys:

Would it cause any undo hassle or delays if I were to share my pistol with wife? (if I can get her to shoot)

I am also wondering about the 11 rounds rule. Do most competitors load all their magazines to 10, drop one in the chamber and close the slide on it prior to inserting the mag or do you load one mag with 11? Seems like, there is not any point to loading more than 10 rounds for five to Glock, is there?

I have read a thread that mentions 147 grn factory ammo (cheap stuff not defense rounds) have less recoil than 115 and hence are good for GSSF matches. Can someone explain the why that is? I'm not trying to debate those who know, it just seems to me the lighter the bullet the less equal and opposite reaction on the gun assuming the powder charges are somewhat similar. I guess I am holding the assumption that the powder charge on the cheapest 115 grn is probably not stronger than the cheapest 147 grn.

Thanks for your help.

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

You should have 4 mags loaded when you shoot. A fifth is helpful.

Then let another shooter go while you reload the mags.

This will also let you take pictures.

We use Winchester White Box (100 value pack from Wal-Mart) with no problems and good results.

I load 10 for the 5 to Glock ( if you get excited and shoot more it is a penalty of 10 points a shot.)

If it is the paper option for the plates it is only 6 shots without a penalty.

For the metal plates 11 is OK.

For the Glock M 11 is OK.

It is probably better if you use the 5th mag to load one round then replace it with a full mag.

Some states have restrictions on mag capacity.

The 147 gr is often a power puff reload which when it causes you problems will NOT get you a reshoot that the factory load will.

3. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

When you go to each stage, you sign in. If you are staying there to shoot the stage, you mark it as such, this way they can see who is shooting or who is just signing in. If you have enough mags, shoot the stage, then load, then have your wife do her shooting (or, the other way around). If not, load the mags and let her shoot and wait. I guess you can use two people to a gun and you will see that on how they organize the stages.

I load 11 in case I miss. If I happen to miss a popper ( and I did once)then there is still enough ammo/shots to hit the target. One time, I loaded the gun with the mag (I use one mag to put one in the chamber and lay it to the side)I usually put to the side. I missed the popper in Glock M and only had one shot on the last target for that string (a mickey). I'd rather be safe than sorry in having enough ammo in the gun to shoot the stages.

I use Blazer Brass to shoot with or the Winchester White box, both are good for shooting GSSF matches, both indoor and outdoor. They are 115 and seem to work. I don't want too potent of ammo, I'm just hitting cardbard targets and denting steel!:rollsmiley: :rollsmiley: :rollsmiley:

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

it's not uncommon to see people share one gun. you'd not want to have to load mags if you want to shot back to back. if you don't have enough mags for both to shoot let another shooter in between you. tell the ROs what you're wanting to do and they ought to work with you. i bring a box full of loaded mags to a match, i don't like to have to load mags after i get there. i'd load 11 rounds for the first string. if you have a problem you'll have the barney bullet to fall back on, plus you'd want 11 rounds for the M and plates and to me it makes more sense to do the same thing every time you shoot a stage. it should be too hard to know you've fired 2 rounds on each target and if you can't the 11th round may or may not be the extra one you fire.

5. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

:rofl: Unfortunately there are occasions where I've been glad that bullet was there. :embarassed:

Seriously, as Ed pointed out, just let the RO's know what you want to do. Even if a person just has 4 mags with the gun, it's not uncommon for them to let the non-shooting person take an empty mag from the shooter after a string just finished and be reloading it. Works out just fine. (See my story on pg.50 (?) of the GSSF issue just out; kids had a great time sharing my G19.)

:patriot:

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

i bring a box full of loaded mags to a match, i don't like to have to load mags after i get there.

In Md. to the cops that would translate to a box full of guns.

7. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

I always load 11 rounds just in case of a malfunction. Seen it happen plenty of times, those with 11 can use the extra round while those with 10 had to settle for a miss. As far as sharing a gun it is no problem. Like it has been said before, just let the RO's know what you are doing. Have a bunch of extra mags loaded and ready, then you can actually leave the gun bagged at the table between each person just go one after the other.

8. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

I think you really need to buy her her own Glock..... problem solved!

;)

9. ede

ede Bama's Friend

lol Lethal, i've often wondered what would happen if a cop found my box full of mags, i usually have around 65 loaded mags and a few boxes of ammo in 9mm, .40, and .45 GAP. i shoot every class and have 10 mags per class plus a few for stripper mags and maybe a mag or two for a kahr or g33 of maybe even a speed loader for a j frame smith

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Last year, 6 of us shot together with 3 Glock 17's between us. Most of the group had shot 1 or 0 prior GSSF matches and one owned a 22C and 3 others had a police issue 35 and an issue 27, so we all used the 3 17's to shoot amateru civilian and amateur guardian.

Starting with 11 in the magazine is fine. If you only have a 10 round magazine, you need to put in the mag, chamber a round, remove the mag and put one back in the magazine - don't put it in the chamber and drop the slide or you risk damaging your extractor on most pistols, including Glock, since they aren't really intended to snap over a rim from the rear.
    Assuming the powder charges are somewhat similar, you would be right I suppose, but the heavier the round the less powder their is behind it, since the same or more powder behind a much heavier bullet results in higher and more dangerous chamber pressures. You will find, for instance, the a 115 gr. 9mm may be loaded to go 1,150 fps, while a 147 gr. by the same manufacturer may only be loaded to 950.

The big difference is among those who reload for competition, since they want the lowest power load that makes the required power factor (PF=weight x velocity). To make 165,000, for instance, you could shoot 147 gr. 9mm bullets at 1,122 fps - way more power than any factory ammo and possibly dangerous pressures - or you could shoot a 230 gr. .45 acp at 718 fps. - so light recoiling you need lighter springs just to make the gun operate.

11. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

we would read how they made Md. safe by taking "ALL Those Guns off the street".

12. gary newport

gary newport

Aha! So that WAS you. I'd guessed as much, what with the shamelessly adulatory references to Butch ;) Who's in the picture?

13. gary newport

gary newport

To me, factory 147 9mm don't so much have LESS recoil as a DIFFERENT recoil--and a different report! The 147s are a bit like .45 GAP or ACP (more "push" than "snap") and are subsonic, so they don't have quite the same sharp report as the lighter, faster bullets. Since I'm a fan of .45 (GAP or ACP), I tend to prefer 147s in 9mm. Sadly, most of my 9mm fixed-sight Glocks don't shoot to point-of-aim with the heavier bullets (which are slower and tend to strike the target higher than 115 or 124 grain loads). Also sadly, 147s tend to cost more than 115 grain loads.

14. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Butch did deserve some credit because he really put them at ease when we went over to the practice range in Rochester 'cause for awhile it was Pistol-101, and I can't back up the 'talk with the walk' the way he can. ("shamelessly adulatory" :thumbsup: - that's a good one, I'll have to file that away for when I'm yellin' at him when he throws a C-hit...)

The young lady is #1 daughter-in-law - grand-daughters fortunately favor her. Another for whom the 'mama-bear' size G19 frame is just right.

:)

15. Mr V

Mr V

Having Ro'ed GSSF matches here are some helpful items.

If you are sharing gun/guns let the RO know.
    I would usally ask the shooter if they wanted to shoot back to back or have another between them. (reload mags while the person is shooting so you are all ready to go when they get done)

Having watched over a 1,000 shooter at GSSF match's there is no real differance what bullet you use out of your 9mm. The steel is setup (and tested) to be tipped over with a standard 115gr bullet. Use what you like and shot the best with.

GO SLOW on the steel plates. The time penalty for a miss is a killer.
    Take that extra second or two and get a good solid hit.

The steel pepper poppers hit the top third of the target. They will go over just a little bit easier and faster.

Most important : Have fun!!!!

16. Adept Redneck

Adept Redneck

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I am looking forward to giving it a try and have talked my wife into trying as well.

Following some of your advise I ordered several extra mags.

Thanks again.