close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Share your pizza recipes.

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by AndABeer, Nov 21, 2004.

1. AndABeer

AndABeer Proud pappy

My latest non-disaster:

Drunken Pizza

Crust

¾ cup very hot water
    ¾ cup room temp white wine
    1 pkg. yeast (regular active not rapid rise)
    2 T honey
    2 T extra virgin olive oil
    3 ½ c. AP flour
    ½ c. bread flour
    1 T kosher salt

Sauce

1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
    ¼ c red wine
    Salt
    Pepper
    Minced Garlic

Special equipment

Pizza stone
    Pizza peel
    Stand mixer with dough hook recommended but not required
    Food mill with die holes smaller than tomato seeds recommended but not required

Mix water and wine and then add yeast, honey, and olive oil. Let stand for five minutes or until mix begins to foam. If mix does not begin to foam consider starting over with fresh ingredients and reducing wine while increasing water. Do not increase wine as too much alcohol will kill the yeast or at least make it too drunk to eat the honey.

Add sifted flour to mix bowl. Add yeast mix to mix bowl. Begin mixing (mixer with dough hook or by hand) and then add the salt. Salt also kills yeast so wait until this point to add it. Knead for 20 minutes by hand or by dough hook. Dough should be tacky/moist. If it is too dry it will not shape well and will tend to rip.

Transfer dough to lightly oiled bowl toss to coat the dough. Cover with plastic wrap so that the wrap is direct contact with the oiled dough and place in warm place for at least two hours.

Open can of tomatoes separate solids and liquids as best as you can. Place liquid in pan and begin to cook it down over medium heat. Look for it to reach a syrup consistency. Run solids through a food mill or colander into a pan and place them over low heat. When both pans reach a thickened consistency, combine into a single pan. Add wine and cook until it reaches a pizza sauce consistency. Add listed spices to taste, easy on the salt if pepperoni is planned as a topping. Let cool.

Preheat oven to 550 with freshly scraped pizza stone for at least an hour.

Thirty minutes before meal time, spilt the dough into halves, shape halves into balls using AP flour to keep dough from sticking to your hands or the working surface. Form dough into crust shapes with your hands, do not use a rolling pin. Dough will refrigerate or freeze if only one pizza is required.

Flour pizza peel lightly and transfer crust to it, make sure crust slides freely on the peel, add flour if it doesn’t. Spread sauce. Add cheese (Moz, Jack, and Parmesan) and toppings (don't go too crazy here, the more toppings and cheese the harder it will be to get the pizza neatly onto the stone). Slide pizza with a gentle shuffle motion on to the stone from the peel and cook for about 10 minutes until cheese starts to brown. Use peel to remove pizza from the oven and allow to cool a few minutes before cutting.

2. 357glocker

357glocker

3. okie

okie GT Mayor

Papa Johns;)

4. AndABeer

AndABeer Proud pappy

5. okie

okie GT Mayor

I tried making a pizzza once and it cost me 30 freakin bucks to make it. So I just order out;)

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

What was on that pizza? ;P

7. allanc

allanc "Inconceivable"

I haven't made crusts in a while but there is a bakery here where I can get good ones.

I like to use pesto instead of tomato-based sauce. I top with artichokes, red and green bell peper, onion, mushrooms, black olives, and cheeze.

8. Screech

Screech

Chef BOYARDEE Pizza Kit;a

Add some Mozzarella cheese and any other topping you want. Best pizza there is! Their sauce is so unique, never found any other brand as good!

9. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

INFIDEL!

;f

10. HKMark23

HKMark23 Millennium Member

I do a similar whole wheat crust, then I have 3 standards I make to top with.

tomato sauce
    mozzarella
    ham
    green chile
    tomatoes
    onions

tomato sauce
    mushrooms
    black olives
    green chile
    bell peppers
    onions
    sliced tomato
    sesame seeds

B.B.Q. sauce
    chicken
    red onions
    bell peppers

But the one I get the most complements on is this one:
    olive oil (as sauce)
    pesto
    mozzarella
    chicken
    sun dried tomatoes

And on all of these, if you layer in this order they cook and look the best.

11. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Sounds excellent! :)

12. okie

okie GT Mayor

Everything I could think of and lots of it;)

13. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin RIP Mr. Mayor

"Hello, Round Table Pizza? Yes, I'd like a large, thick-crust pie with pepperoni and pineapple. Cook it well-done, please."

;f

14. HKMark23

What about sauce?
    I only see one sauce recipe, and no offence AndABeer its kinda lame.
    Any others?
    I MAY provide the details of my secret sauce........

15. AndABeer

AndABeer Proud pappy

Well, unless you can say that you cooked it up and tried it, I am offended. If you did cook it up and tried it, oh well, different people have different tastes. But if you are summarily dismissing it because it is pretty simple, I have to say ;n.

16. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

BASIC PIZZA DOUGH
    1 cup warm water
    1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3 cups bleached all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, sugar, and 1 tablespoon oil and stir to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
    Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated but the dough is still slightly sticky. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes.

Oil a large mixing bowl with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

STRETCH AND ROLL OUT DOUGH TO BASIC SIZE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR FOR YOUR SIZE OF THE PIZZA YOUR LOOKING TO MAKE. IF MAKING PIZZA ON PIZZA PAN COAT THE PAN WITH A DUSTING OF YELLOW CORN MEAL BEFORE YOU LAY DOUGH ON IT. THEN LET DOUGH REST FOR 15 MINUTES BEFORE ADDING YOUR TOPPINGS TO PIZZA DOUGH. THIS LETS THE DOUGH RISE A BIT AND ALLOW IT TO BE A LIGHTER DOUGH THAT COMES CRISPY ON OUTSIDE AND SOFT AIRY INSIDE. IF DOING YOUR PIZZA ON A PIZZA STONE, THEN PUT YELLOW DUSTING OF CORN MEAL ON THE PIZZA PEEL AND SREAD YOUR STRETCHED OUT DOUGH ON THAT AND LET RISE FOR 15 OR 20 MINUTES BEFORE ADDING TOPPINGS.

***IMPORTANT TIPS: (1) HEAT YOUR OVEN TO AS HIGH OF A TEMP IT WILL GO TO. AT LEAST 500 DEGREES TO 650 DEGREES IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE FOR A CRISPY AND LIGHTER CRUST AND A BETTER RESULT IN YOUR HOMEMADE PIZZA. (2) AFTER ASSEMBLING YOUR PIZA WITH ITS TOPPING ANMD BEFORE PUTTING IT INTO THE OVEN TO COOK, BRUSH THE OUTTER CRUST LIGHTLY WITH OLIVE OIL. MAKES FOR GOLDEN CRISPY CRUST.

AS FOR THE INGEDIENTS THE PIZZA CAN HAVE ANYTRHING YOU WANT ON IT AS LONG AS IT IS FRESH: GOOD CRUSHED TOMATOES OR FRESHLY SLICED TOMATOES. GOOD WHOLE MILK MOZZARELLA...FRESH MOZZARELLA IS ALOT BETTER THAN THE PACKAGED ONE. BUT POLLY-O BRAND I FIND TO BE ONE OF THE BETTER PRE-PACKAGED MOZZARELLAS YOU CAN GET FOR IT MELTS NICELY AND MAKES FOR A STRINGY CHEESEY PIZZA.

ALSO TRY A REAL CHANGE OF PACE AND MAKE A WHITE PIZZA WITH OLIVE OIL, MOZZARELLA, RICCOTTA CHEESE, FRESH GARLIC, FRESH SPINACH, CRUMPLED FRESH COOKED CRISPY BACON OR GROUND SAUSAGE. MAKES FOR A GREAT TASTING PIZZA AND OFF OF THE NORM FOR THE STANDARD TOMATOE SAUCE TYPE PIZZA. YOU CAN EVEN ADD SOME FRESH SLICED TOMATOE TO THE WHITE PIZZA INSTEAD OF THE TOMATOE SAUCE TYPE WHICH IS A WONDERFUL FLAVOR AND LOOKS REAL TOP SHELF WHEN YOU HAVE COMPANY OVER THAT YOU WANT TO IMPRESS AND LOOKING TO ACHIEVE THE "WOW".

FOR A GOOD BASIC TOMATOE SAUCE FOR THE PIZZA:
    TAKE A 28 TO 35 OUNCE CAN OF WHOLE PLUM TOMATOES AND DRAIN OFF THE EXCESS JUICE. SQUEEZE AND BREAK UP THE PLUM TOMATOES INTO A BOWL. IN A SKILLET TAKE 3 TABLESPOONS OF VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, SAUTEE A CLOVE OF GARLIC TILL GOLDEN BROWN. ADD TOMATOES THAT YOU HAND CRUSHED. SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE. TEASPOON OF SUGAR, TABLESPOON FRESH SLICED BASIL. TWO TABLESPOONS OF FRESH CHOPPED PARSLEY. TEASPOON OREGANO. BRING TO A STEADY SIMMER AND LET COOK FOR 20 MINUTES. THEM ADD TO RESTED AND RISEN PIZZA CRUST AND THEN ADD YOUR OTHER TOPPINGS ONTOP BEFORE YOU PLACE PIZZA TO COOK IN THE OVEN.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN WITH THE TOPPINGS AND KINDS OF PIZZA. JUST KEEP THE BASICS STEADY OF THE PIZZA DOUGH, HOT HOT PRE-HEATED OVEN AND FRESH INGREDIENTS AND YOU WILL HAVE A WINNER EACH AND EVERYTIME.SERVE WITHJ A GOOD DRY WINE AND/OR GOOD BEER. BUT KEEP IN MIND, IF YOU SERVE ENOUGH BEER AND WINE, YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH ORDER THE PIZZA OUT OR MAKE A FROZEN PIZZA PIE AND NOBODY WILL GIVE A HOOT FOR THEY WILL BE HALF IN THE BAG ANYWAYS...LOL...J/K

;f ;f ;f ;f

17. HKMark23

I'm just giving you greef!
    Thats actually almost identical to a sauce I use over a sasuage and pasta dish I make but in mine its the sausage that adds the ZIP! (I like a allot of that ;f )

Try this one on for size:

6 ounces tomato paste
    6 ounces warm water
    3 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan
    1 T chopped garlic
    1 T honey
    3/4 t onion powder
    1/4 t oregano
    1/4 t marjoram
    1/4 t basil
    1/4 t black pepper
    1/8 t cayenne pepper
    1/8 t red pepper
    salt

Mix togeather well and let sit for 30-60 minutes.

18. aMarineMom

aMarineMom

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homemade Chef BOYARDEE Pizza!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The secret to making homemade pizza is to cook the crust 5-10 minutes before adding sauce and toppings. I use a Chef BOYARDEE 2 pizza kit to make one 11x17 pizza on an old heavy black cookie sheet. Add whatever you want as toppings!

My family also thinks homemade Chef BOYARDEE Pizza is the best!

19. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I just wanted to add that in Spanish/Mexican/Latin grocery stores there is a white cheese
    that's spectacular for pizza and Lasagne when it's melted and browned bubbly...

It's called Jicotea... (Hee-coh-tay-ah)...
    Have'em slice you up a pound...
    It'll look like white American cheese...

;c

20. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

Ummmm well if you and your family both feel Chef Boyardee is the best homemade pizza, well just feel sorry for you for must not have any good pizza places around you. for aint nothing like a good quality old fashion pizza from a good pizza place that is not a chain-like place and makes prefab pizza like pizzahut, dominos, lil caesars..etc. and nothing beats the taste of a good homemade pizza. but whatever worksd for you and your family. hey my cousin and his family grew up on my aunts/their moms homemade lazagna that she used cottage cheese instead of riccotta and loved it that way. if your use to it and its all you know, hey whaqtever works and just enjoy it.