close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Share your diet plan

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Swattie, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Swattie

Swattie Cry Havoc

Someone recommended it so here goes.

I generally do not drink coffee or tea. (These contain tanic acid which is the same stuff used to tan leather.)

I eat lean meats, WHOLE grain breads, vegetables, and fruits. Lots of water also.

If I want something sweet I will have a piece of sugar free chocolate or maybe a half cup of frozen yogurt.

If I do have to eat out like at McDonald's then I just get a regular hamburger, SMALL fires and a small diet soda, water, milk, or juice.

Something else people fail to do is monitor their PORTION controls. People eat WAY too much food. The amount of meat you eat should not be any bigger than a deck of playing cards.

I also stay away from refined sugars and white flour products.

A typical day may be like this for me.

Breakfast - 1 cup cooked oatmeal, with honey to sweeten. (Honey is Natural sugar which your body metabolizes much better.) A piece of fruit and skim milk.

Lunch - Turkey and swiss sandwich with whole grain bread, celery or carrot sticks, fruit.

Snack - 1 piece of fruit

dinner - meat, potatoe or rice, vegetable, maybe a salad with fat free Italian.

snack - half cup of frozen yogurt or 1 cp of popped popcorn.

Hope this helps.

2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I eat whatever I feel like eating. Having a fast metabolism, I can get away with it. I usually eat fairly clean; I almost never eat fast food, mainly because it upsets my stomach, but I eat plenty of cheeseburgers from good burger stands or at home. I also love cheesesteaks - if I lived in PA, I'd probably have one almost every day.

I drink three quarts to a gallon of milk every day and a couple quarts of other (nonalcoholic) liquids. I am trying to eat a piece or two of fruit or a serving of vegetables every day - I just never have been big on eating red, yellow and green things. I eat a moderate amount of carbs, and don't pay too much attention to glycemic index. Beef is a must at least four times a week; otherwise, my mind gets slow and I feel weak.

Basically, I eat like a stereotypical powerlifter. It works just fine, too.

3. DBradD

DBradD

My ideas are applicable for folks trying to drop weight, which seems to be the typical question.

As background, my wife and I lost over 30 lbs each in about 4 months, in our 30s, after multiple previous failures usually trying to use exercise to burn the calories. Exercise played a distant second fiddle in our plan. I went from 202 to 168, 36.5" waist to 32.5", 9% bodyfat.

I'll just type what I learned that works.

Count calories--the bottom line. Estimate your BMR by using the various calculators available on the internet. Knock about 400-500 off this number and make sure you don't exceed that number of calories each day. My wife uses a simple sheet of paper to log the calories. I use a spreadsheet--any system should work.

It is critically important to count calories because most American foods have startlingly high numbers of calories, much more than one would ever guess. People who fail to lose weight think they're eating reasonable numbers of calories, but blow past their BMR most days because of this. If you eat fewer calories, you will lose weight unless you can disprove the first law of thermodynamics. I'm convinced at this point that practically everybody who says that they just "can't lose weight," "I've tried everything," etc, are not counting calories and are accidentally eating more than they think.

Random details:

We shoot for 30% of calories from protein, 50% from carbs, and 20% from fat. We try hard to make sure that our carbs are from low glycemic index foods.

Divide meals as evenly as possible over the day--we use 250-300 calorie chunks every 2.5-3.5 hours.

Drink lots of water, maybe 100 ounces/day for a typical man. I found that I do better when I drink more hot tea and fewer diet soft drinks, although the difference seems to be small.

Some days will have a "cheat" meal. Don't let it get you down because it takes 3500 calories to make a pound of fat. A large cheat meal won't amount to more than a fraction of a pound of fat. Just don't do it often enough to have a cumulative effect.

Might as well forget about eating out except rarely (cheat meal...). 99% of restaurant food will do more than take your diet plan on a slight detour--it'll DESTROY it. There are a small number of items that are minimally damaging and major restaurants have their info on their websites.

DBD

4. Cooper

Cooper

i'm eating 1200 calories a day. this is what i shoot for, and if i go over a little bit, no big deal. but i don't ever go over by a lot. doesn't matter where the calories come from.

i picked 1200 because that is the minimum i can safely eat, according to most sources.

if i am going out to dinner, i'll plan ahead and walk off the extra calories before i go eat.

i eat well. subway sandwiches (turkey and ham, footlong, no cheese) are my staple. a lot of staufer's dinners. i also allow myself as much sugar-free jello as i want.

so far, doing this and 20 min of aerobic exercise a day, i have lost 32 lbs in two months!

5. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Take the time..

Hello everyone...
    I am answering this thread with pleasure. I have been dieting since August of last year and I would like to share my thoughts.

Last August I was 299 pounds and felt like the village fat man. I went to visit my high school gym teacher just to check in to see how he was doing. Well he "coached" me once again. He pointed out blood pressure and other factors that needed my attention right now. I was happy to say goodbye that afternoon... the next week I went to see the movie The Great Raid. I saw all the extremely thin P O W's and I began to think about just how much I weighed. The next week Hurricane Katrina hit and I watched the devistation on tv. I did my own hurricane survival test. I weighed myself and took measurements of waist and chest. I placed food into a plastic container and purchased 12 gallons of bottled water. I lived on this food and water supply for two weeks. I then took weight and chest measurements again. I had lost 20 pounds and I felt like a new man. I started to ride my bicycle and walk everyday. I cut out 99% of sugar,caffine,dairy,bread and most meats.
    1200 calories during the week and 1500 on the weekend. By Christmas I was 207 pounds. I weighed 194 when I went to the Super Bowl Party at the firehouse with my friends. Everyone agreed that I was too thin. For the first time in twenty years I was thin in others eyes. I was too thin and now weigh 204. Here is the diet.

Fruits and vegetables all you want. Juice and cereal. Lean meat in small portions and exercise. Lots of water. Think healthy and live it. Walk to places 10 minutes away and then back. Ride that bicycle and tell everyone who will listen that you are taking back your life. Your blood pressure will drop and you will feel good about yourself. Please take a multi-vitamin. I did not and now I do. I have learned from this experience and life is good. Rediscover just how good broccoli and cauliflower with shrimp, a little oil and garlic with crushed redpepper with parmesan cheese and crumbled unsalted crackers taste. Good luck and plan on buying new clothes. I just bought 4 pairs of jeans and I am a new man. By the way...17 inches is gone from my waistline...I have 1,800 miles in training on the bicyle and I have walked almost 7 hundred miles since Katrina. I am thinking about continuing my cross country bicycle trip. I live on the East Coast and I have been riding the USA in sections. I last left off in Kansas City,Mo. in 1998. I hope to ride the Oregon Trail to the Left Coast. Who wants to join me? Did I mention that I am 51 years old and this means that you too can do this?
    Crowsfoot...

6. Mister Joshua

Mister Joshua Sig Addiction

My diet, to summarize it simply, is "South Beach Carbs, with enough Protein to make cats hiss when you walk past them" - but this is a crash-course weightloss diet I specifically designed to raise metabolism. It works fairly well, and has been fairly easy to follow.

7. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Crowsfoot,

That is a very inspiring post. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

I made the decision last year to get back to my early college shape. I was 210 (my highest weight ever) and 6' tall. My goal was to get to 185 and I did it. I cut out all bread related carbs including cereal and started eating more protein. I basically modified South Beach to work for me.

I have scrambled eggs (3 whites & 1 whole egg) on a wheat tortilla and a small glass of orange juice for breakfast.

Snack of cheese or fruit.

Lunch is a salad with chicken, celery and natural peanut butter, fruit.

Snack handful of mixed nuts.

Dinner is whatever my wife is making usually.

Because of my wifes health situation I don't restrict dinner as much. We still have pasta but the whole wheat variety. I also avoid bread at dinner and I don't eat after 8:30pm at the latest.

I combined this with mountain biking and running with my dog. It is amazing how much energy you get back after losing just 10 pounds.

Now, I've been a bit lax lately and have put a few pounds back on over winter. BUT, I am back on track now and more focused than ever.

8. Tecumseh

Tecumseh Libertarian

Just wanted to Tag this.

9. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Here goes me:

Zero alcohol, or caffeine or soda

Meal 1: yogurt and 1/2 serving Cytopsort Cytogainer shake

Meal 2: Red Baron single serving pizza, water

Meal 3: Chicken breast, mashed potatoes, 1 slice 12 grain bread, water

Meal 4: Chicken breast, mashed potatoes, 16oz 2% milk

Meal 5: Subway turkey sub, small stack of Chili cheese Pringles, 16oz 2% milk

Meal 6: Labrada Lean Body bar, water

Meal 7: 1/2 serving Cytosport Cytogainer shake

(train)

Meal 8: 1/2 serving Cytosport Cytogainer shake

Meal 9: Pasta, chicken, 1 slice 12 grain bread, water

This is roughly 300 grams of protein, 450 grams of carbs, and 80 grams of fat. Total calories are about 3600 calories.

I have a pretty fast metabolism and could eat whatever I want, but like to stay fairly lean. If I get hungry between meals I eat Clif bars.

Currently 6' tall and 190 lbs. Trying to get to that 200 lb mark. In the winter I eat more bread, milk, and extra protein bars and try to get an extra 100 grams of protein.

10. PsychoDad

PsychoDad

The Abs Diet book. Perfect.

11. CFII

CFII

I eat 1600 calories a day. Period. I only eat meals in which I know the exact calorie count. I do eat out still, quite a bit. Most fast food places have nutritional info on thier websites. I just started to exercise, 30 min of cardio a day. In the last 3.5 weeks of eating 1600 calories a day, Ive gone from 286 to 270. Im 6'4" with a large build, so my goal is 215.