Share The Wealth 2002

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Dec 24, 2002.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

By strick definition, I am talking about the policy limiting masters to 1 pistol win per match. Did it accomplish anything positive in 2002?

In 2001 Bobby Carver won 9 pistols. In 2002 he won 10.

In 2001 Dale Rhea won 10 pistols. In 2002 he won 7.

Net difference: two pistols. Big Deal. Some of those 17 pistols won in 2002 were the "share the wealth" pistols awarded for 2nd place finishes.

In my opinion the 2002 policy needs to be scrapped. If a master works hard enough to finish 1st in two master classes, he or she deserves both pistols. End of my soapbox speech.

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Losing Share the Wealth works for me. If somebody earns a win, they deserve the reward. I think it's time we subscribe to the real American way, those who work hard and perform receive their just rewards. With all due respect and with no offense to anyone, 2nd place is just first loser. Having said that I realize I may never win another certificate. Whether it's Dale Rhea, Tom Costanza, Bobby Carver, Philip Dedmon, Dan Johnson, Jay Shebuski or some other Master, if they win then they should win. Period. I may not like losing but I'm man enough to respect performance! :)

3. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

4. mcginnes

mcginnes Safety Officer Millennium Member

To be fair Danny, you are leaving out one particular shooter who went from about 16 pistols to zero. He does skew the results.

5. DannyR

I could not include TJC because he elected not to compete in 2002 due to the new policy. TJ won 16 in 2001, 5 of which were double pistol wins. Had he shot in 2002, he would have been 9 for 9 or 10 for 10 in single pistol wins. If you count his contribution towards sharing the wealth, the total pistol difference would be 8 for 28 matches. GSSF awarded 8 pistols to someone othen that Dale, Bobby or Tom because of the policy. All the aggrivation, paperwork, changed results for 8 pistols.

6. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

I second that ;H

7. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

On the other hand I do see the logic in spreading the rewards. GSSF does not seem to be a hard core "dog eat dog" event but rather a place for lots of folks to have fun. The results should not be changed and the winner in each category should be acknowledged but I think one gun award per event is quite fair for the type of event that is GSSF.
    And this from someone who is in no danger of winning one of these guns even if they give it to a guy who finished 2nd.

8. DannyR

Hapuna,

We are talking only about the "Share the wealth policy" that that applies to masters in Stockmeister and Unlimited Categories. This policy does not exist in Am/Civ, L.E, Subcompact or Competition categories. Amateurs have the opportunity to win multiple pistols in a match, providing their total A-1 wins does not exceed 3. There have been several matches in 2002 in which amateurs won up to three pistols in the same match, while masters were limited to 1 out of a possible 2.

9. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

But he is SOOOOO cute!;)

10. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

You are kidding aren't you? ;Q I thought you'd gone to sleep. ;f

11. TJC

NEVER, and I have a memory like an elephant too. ;)

12. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

And a .................I won't go there!!!!! ;Q ;f

Dan:cool:

13. rtr

rtr Glockaholic

I won a pistol and I'm a master of nothing related to shooting, so I'm happy with the system, if they earn it they should get it.

How many pistols total did GSSF give away in any recent year?

14. DannyR

GSSF awards about 350 pistols each season.

15. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I agree that the new program should be scraped. I understand why it was done but it seems the end result was that it was ineffective.

GSSF while fun is a competition, especially in Stockmaster and Unlimited and it is dog eat dog with fierce competition even though you are competing against freinds.

If you win you deserve the prize, period.

As a double winner in 02 I felt that the biggest slap was the $25 refund. You get a gun for 1st in one division, you win the other and you get $25 while 3rd (really 4th) get $50. This gives a higher award for a lesser performance.

The bottom line is that it is Glocks game and they make the rules, we have the option to play or not but I do hope the reconsider and reward the winners again.

16. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

If you win, you win. That seems the only fair way to me. Of course then what do we do with someone that wins but maybe wins their 3rd gun to promote to master but has another win at the same match in another catagory? Do they only get their $25 back? That seems as out of place as a master being able to win only one gun. Perhaps they should get a second place prize of $100? Anything besides the old slap in the face "here is your $25 entry fee back" prize would be a step in the right direction. Maybe $100 & one free entry in another match? Somehow winning & only getting $25 just doesn't seem right. Here at the end of the season seems like the right time to be sending letters (not hate mail, but constructive suggestions) to Mr. Glock & also to Chris Edwards. We need to tell them we don't mind a master shooter winning two guns at a match. Anyone willing to put their words on paper? MLM ;f

17. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Hey Mark, I wrote to Mr. Glock and Chris Edwards shortly after the release of the NEW rules at begining of the 2002 season and that was right after I won my third gun at Jacksonville! I do hope that the GSSF staff are doing some serious re-thinking on the rules for the "Stockmeister and Unlimited/Master" classes!
    Merry Christmas Everyone!
    Dan:cool:

18. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Hi Dan, Merry Christmas to all. I was kind of hoping that all the people who wrote letters before would do it again so the folks who set the rules will know we haven't gotten used to it or that even worse we had begun to like it. ;Q ;P. I do agree with Matt K that it is their game & we either play or not but perhaps they will reconsider this silly rule. It seems to me, & I have not done any real calculating but it seems the number of contestants in the matches in this area are down some from last year. Has anyone looked at that? I know there are some new matches & all but perhaps this rule meddling has had an adverse affect on competitor numbers. I will have to look at that, perhaps that may stir an interest in the rulemakers. I do know it has hurt several people's feelings & that in turn has had an affect on attitudes. Maybe someday TJC, whoever he is, will come back & play some more. I don't blame him but it is sad he has quit. I am sure there are others that just aren't as visible, also. Well, Y'all be safe & enjoy the holidays, MLM
    Well, I went & looked at numbers & unfortunately on the whole in this area, tx.,mo.,co.,az & even ca. seem to be nearly the same or maybe slightly higher numbers in 2002 than 2001. So much for that idea. I still hope everyone will write letters expressing to them the fact we think it is not fair to win but not win. :( MLM

19. TJC

Mark,

What GSSF used to do before they started changing rules to affect certain shooters was to award whatever pistols that the shooter won within that match. Yes, there were times when someone for instance had 2 wins, went to a match and won 2-3 more at that match. Oh well, I feel like you that the person deserves those pistols, but not any won in future matches unless in Stockmeister or UL.
    The main problem with doing it that way AT THAT TIME, was that GSSF was anywhere from 6-14 weeks getting results out. Thus, you had people shooting 4, 5, and 6 more matches before being bumped and notified. Then that person had another 4-6 wins. Not good. But with GSSF getting the results out like they do now, that wouldn't happen. I suppose someone with 2 wins could go to the next match and win in 4 classes. Then that person would be notified and bumped.

I also appreciate the words of objectivity concerning the Master shooters. But I would not hold my breath for GSSF to change that back. Partly I would suspect do to my on going "slap in the faces" of certain people in Smyrna and their way of doing things. Hey, I can accept that. I made my decision almost a year ago and don't regret it. Others made theirs and had fun doing their thing this season. To each his own, but I could not have the fun at the matches that I used to or even come close to supporting GSSF like I have done in the past. ie. Stockmeister Class originated in the minds of several shooters from NJ on the way to Fulton, NY match and was supported highly by us, the GSSF Commemorative gun was thought up by a "certain" Master shooter-supporter and presented to Mr. Edwards in I believe North Carolina. It obviously was received well by the members. The signing up of over 25 new members to GSSF which in turn brought some of their own new members didn't hurt the sport I'm sure. These were a few off the top of my head. They are also things I wouldn't do again for them.

Matt said it right. It is their game and they make the rules. If you want to play by them you play. If not, you train a new hunting dog and go pheasant and deer hunting instead of a few matches. ;f

Time to go to XMAS dinner.

20. Rag Flyer

Rag Flyer

Fellows, I know I am SERIOUSLY in the minority here, but I like this new share the wealth rule. One of the things that really motivates me to keep coming to these matches is my goal of making master class. Once I do, that will likely be the end of winning any pistols for a long while. However, there is always that sliver of a chance that I'll be in a "distant" second place and still get a nice pistol. I know that I didn't "earn" it the same way the top guy did, but it is still a VERY motivating prize as I make these long drives to distant matches. Someone described other types of matches as "dog eat dog" and I believe the generosity of GSSF is what keeps seperates them from the others. Does ANYONE see where I am coming from?