Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes old movie Shane... did you know that gunbelt was bought by Alan Ladd's wife for him? Only six made. I think Ladd's family still has the gun and gunbelt.

And that SAA Colt. He had the trigger REMOVED... as in a slip hammer. You don't put your finger it the trigger guard. You just thumb (or fan as he did) the hammer back and it fires. About as simple as you can get a gun to fire.

Back in the 1800s, some actually did such work to their guns.

And notice the sights... or lack of them. He had the front sight taken off!!!

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
Yes old movie Shane... did you know that gunbelt was bought by Alan Ladd's wife for him? Only six made. I think Ladd's family still has the gun and gunbelt.

And that SAA Colt. He had the trigger REMOVED... as in a slip hammer. You don't put your finger it the trigger guard. You just thumb (or fan as he did) the hammer back and it fires. About as simple as you can get a gun to fire.

Back in the 1800s, some actually did such work to their guns.

And notice the sights... or lack of them. He had the front sight taken off!!!

View attachment 946869

View attachment 946870
No wonder his fanning the gun worked so well
Thank you for the trivia

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reminds of Elmer Keith's stories about John Newman and his slip gun techniques
Notice Newman held the gun two handed with one hand on the barrel (and notice the fire retardant sleeves!)

But some did fan their guns as Keith wrote in his book 'Sixguns'.... I'm gonna have to get a copy of that book!

Reactions: Berto

·
Registered
56,791 Posts
In the original novel by Jack Schaefer, Shane did have the front sight filed off on his revolver.

However, he did use the trigger... And as best as I can recall, never fanned the hammer.

One of my all-time favorite novels...

·
MacGyver
7,762 Posts
So what? People complain about plastic triggers hurting their fingers. Do you think their palms are tougher?
Don't confuse the man (actor) with the fake MOVIE character he played. If he were Jerry Miculek or Rob Leatham, I maybe would be interested in why. One shot, and guys falling down dead are movie fantasies.

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
So what? People complain about plastic triggers hurting their fingers. Do you think their palms are tougher?
Don't confuse the man (actor) with the fake MOVIE character he played. If he were Jerry Miculek or Rob Leatham, I maybe would be interested in why. One shot, and guys falling down dead are movie fantasies.
It’s interesting how they did some of the sixgun tricks and look good on camera. I had no idea that his gun was modified to fanning the gun and bang without the trigger. It’s also like how the rifle in the rifleman was tricked out to shoot just with the lever action , no fingering the trigger.
Sometimes life does imitate art. People attempt to do or judge their performance by what they see on TV or a movie . The gangsta method of shooting the gun sideways came from the movies. It looked wicked so they copied it, not knowing the actors did it because they didn’t want the brass to hit them in the face. It has nothing to do with aiming or looking cool .
Or the ranking the slide too much. That came from Hollywood to show the character was ready if they had a semi auto. The equivalent of the character of pulling back the hammer on s revolver . But it meant that character was carrying the gun without one in the chamber but who cares. It was a plot device . People copied it. It’s the same with “ press checks”. It’s a plot device to say “ I’m ready” but more plausible than not having one in the chamber.

So do you think people attempted to copy fanning the gun never knowing the movie gun was modified?

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Folks... Look up Ed McGivern... and what he could do with a Colt SAA.

Go read Ed's "Book of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting"... I have a copy.

His trick was a) .38 Special, b) tapped trigger to trigger guard (he never touched the trigger), and c) smoothed the serriations on the hammer (he did NOT fatten the hammer, weakend the springs, or other things than take some checkering off the hammer.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts