Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope this is the correct section....

Basically looking to see if there is anything I can do to stop shaking so much when I shoot. Example when I am aiming I shake all over....My shots are pretty well grouped and on where I want them but I shake like nuts.

You can really tell when there is a laser on the gun

Is there anything I can do to help this?

Could it have to do with being inexperienced? I am new to shooting handguns....always shot shotguns and rifles growing up

·
Banned
8,723 Posts
Looking at a laser is not an indication of how much you shake. Handguns are going to wobble as you are shooting them, the laser jsut amplifies the perception of the movement. If you are hitting your target and getting a good group, you are OK. As a new handgunner you might just need to get over the "new" factor.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at a laser is not an indication of how much you shake. Handguns are going to wobble as you are shooting them, the laser jsut amplifies the perception of the movement. If you are hitting your target and getting a good group, you are OK. As a new handgunner you might just need to get over the "new" factor.

I get what your saying but like when I am aiming and for example the one had a laser on it literally all over the target while I was setting....You can see it when watching me shoot.

But I was kinda wondering if it was more just the new factor

Thanks for your advice!

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Dynamic tension helps to steady your hold. I use a Modified Weaver Stance and I push forward with my gun hand and pull backwards with my off hand to lock the pistol into position. You don't have to kill it, just push enough to lock it into place.

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
Might be hand/arm strength. Get a squeeze hand exerciser and work out while watching TV.

·
Premium Member
28,686 Posts

Basically looking to see if there is anything I can do to stop shaking so much when I shoot. Example when I am aiming I shake all over....My shots are pretty well grouped and on where I want them but I shake like nuts.

Could it have to do with being inexperienced? I am new to shooting handguns....always shot shotguns and rifles growing up
What distance are you shooting? What are your typical group sizes? Is your point of aim where your shots are hitting (generally)?

How old are you? Is there any history of degenerative nerve disease in your family? Have you ever had trauma to your shoulder, elbow or wrist?

How firm is your understanding of the shooting fundamentals as they apply to handguns? What are they? Could you list them? Which are the most important?

What caliber gun(s) are you shooting? Are you shooting indoors or outdoors? What is the typical ambient temperature when you shoot?

'Drew

·
NRA Member
17,703 Posts
To the OP, do your hands shake when you're not shooting? Can you sit in your living room and simply point & keep your hands steady?

The answers will help in offering advice.

·
IWannaBeSedated
11,448 Posts
Increase your hand and upper body strength, perhaps loosen your grip on the pistol, and get a lesson or two on a correct stance/hold.

But you're always going to shake to an extent - even competition shooters shake. If the muzzle of your pistol wavers so much as a millimeter while in your hand, the laser is going to look much worse down range. That's just simple geometry.

One other thing - if you're new to handguns, DITCH THE LASER.

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
You are gripping the gun too hard. You are trying to hold the gun motionless while it fires. A proper grip and stance isn't like mounting the gun in steel, keeping it from moving, rather, a proper grip and stance is more like vulcanized rubber, gentle but firm, allowing the gun to recoil, absorbing the force, and easing back to original position. It doesn't take strength to shoot well. If you're shaking or wearing out, odds are you're overdoing it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...and throw away the Shake Weight(tm). :supergrin:

Are you gripping the gun too hard? Is your shooting posture stiff and uncomfortable? Tired muscles will shake.
I was gripping hard....

What distance are you shooting? What are your typical group sizes? Is your point of aim where your shots are hitting (generally)?

How old are you? Is there any history of degenerative nerve disease in your family? Have you ever had trauma to your shoulder, elbow or wrist?

How firm is your understanding of the shooting fundamentals as they apply to handguns? What are they? Could you list them? Which are the most important?

What caliber gun(s) are you shooting? Are you shooting indoors or outdoors? What is the typical ambient temperature when you shoot?

'Drew
WOW....Um distance was about 14feet, groupins are with in inches from each other, yes in general where I am aiming.

No clue on fundamentals

Caliber was Glock23 .40 cal, indoors, and it was probably 40 degrees

To the OP, do your hands shake when you're not shooting? Can you sit in your living room and simply point & keep your hands steady?

The answers will help in offering advice.
Yes they do shake to an extent

Increase your hand and upper body strength, perhaps loosen your grip on the pistol, and get a lesson or two on a correct stance/hold.

But you're always going to shake to an extent - even competition shooters shake. If the muzzle of your pistol wavers so much as a millimeter while in your hand, the laser is going to look much worse down range. That's just simple geometry.

One other thing - if you're new to handguns, DITCH THE LASER.
It was on one of the guns I tried

You are gripping the gun too hard. You are trying to hold the gun motionless while it fires. A proper grip and stance isn't like mounting the gun in steel, keeping it from moving, rather, a proper grip and stance is more like vulcanized rubber, gentle but firm, allowing the gun to recoil, absorbing the force, and easing back to original position. It doesn't take strength to shoot well. If you're shaking or wearing out, odds are you're overdoing it.
After reading all this you are right....I was trying to keep the gun from recoiling and trying to muscle it. I will try to relax next time

Thanks everyone for the advice.....

·
NRA Member
17,703 Posts
I was trying to keep the gun from recoiling and trying to muscle it. I will try to relax next time.
You cannot prevent recoil by gripping tighter. The higher on the grip that you can hold, the better off you will be for managing recoil. Obviously don't put your hand in the way of the slide, if you're shooting a semi-auto.

In matches, getting a good high grip makes a world of difference in managing recoil. White knuckling the grip will just cause your hands to shake more. You want a firm grip, but not one where you're trying to prevent the gun from moving. Unless you're shooting bunny fart loads, your gun will move. The key is managing the recoil, not overcoming & preventing it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You cannot prevent recoil by gripping tighter. The higher on the grip that you can hold, the better off you will be for managing recoil. Obviously don't put your hand in the way of the slide, if you're shooting a semi-auto.

In matches, getting a good high grip makes a world of difference in managing recoil. White knuckling the grip will just cause your hands to shake more. You want a firm grip, but not one where you're trying to prevent the gun from moving. Unless you're shooting bunny fart loads, your gun will move. The key is managing the recoil, not overcoming & preventing it.

Ya I had has high of a grip as I could get but was like stated gripping tight. I am going back to the range Wednesday so I will work on relaxing and just a firm grip nothing tight

·
Premium Member
28,686 Posts
Huber,

The fastest most efficient way to get you onto shooting pistols better is to work with a good coach. All you may need are 2-3 sessions to lay a good foundation.

The pistol shooting fundamentals are

aiming (hold control and sight alignment)
breath control
grip
follow thru
trigger control

and to a lesser degree, position

'Drew

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Huber,

The fastest most efficient way to get you onto shooting pistols better is to work with a good coach. All you may need are 2-3 sessions to lay a good foundation.

The pistol shooting fundamentals are

aiming (hold control and sight alignment)
breath control
grip
follow thru
trigger control

and to a lesser degree, position

'Drew
Thanks Drew! I will be getting that in due time through the academy

Being cold never helps with shakes. And lay off the coffee, the shooter's enemy.
This is true on the cold.....I didn't think I was cold but I wasn't paying attention to that either.

I am a NO coffee kind of man

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am a NO coffee kind of man
It's not just in Coffee.

squish should have said "Caffeine".

Mountain Dew has a whole lot of caffeine. As do most sodas.

You may think of yourself as caffeine free but...you might be consuming it without knowing it.

But yeah, stay warm.
Learn trigger control.
Do not "milk" the grip. She's not a cow.
Get some advise from a pro.

You'll get over the shakes.

Before long, you'll not even think about it any more.

·
Scottish Member
11,987 Posts
Go to Youtube and look at some of Todd Jarrett's videos. He has one on the proper grip and stance. It can't replace good coaching, but it will point you in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts