Shadow Systems MR920 vs G19.5 impressions

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by -JCN-, Apr 28, 2020.

1. -JCN-

-JCN-

C8959538-0D97-4E82-80FD-CFA47986C462.jpeg

Picked up my MR920 and put a DPP on it. Took it to the range and ran it on timed draw and rapid fire drills and they are very, very similar in performance. Maybe just a whiff of an edge to the MR920 but within noise of my testing.

C0BFF770-D6E3-43EA-AE56-4C02B6763B21.jpeg

For illustration: 10 rounds each. 2” paster.

Yes, I know. Not my best shooting and had a flier on both.

Frankly a little disappointed in the MR920 and again impressed on what a competent gun the Glock is.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  2. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

The 19 is no joke.

Cambo, jr24 and -JCN- like this.

3. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

As an owner of an MR918, in comparison to my other glocks, it isn't anything earth shattering. The MR pistols are very nice, but your experience is showing there is a big difference between static and active environments.

By that I mean, the MR series pistols feel much better than a factory Glock when in a static situation. When it's time to go to work, those improved ergos, don't always equate into improved performance, or at least a dramatic improvement.

I do like my 918, but it won't do anything measurably better or worse than any of my other glocks.

TXPO

boilergonzo and -JCN- like this.
  4. Orive 8

Orive 8

I have now switched my EDC to the MR918, sold off my last couple of Glock 19s. For me, using Gila Hayes 5 in 5 drill, I found myself about .3 to .5 seconds faster with the MR918s than my Gen 4 Front Serration 19s. When I shot the two guns just for pure accuracy - no speed involved, the MR918s were definitely more accurate in my hands. Both my wife and friend also shot these guns and found it to be true for them.

When I shot my different courses of fire, my scores were a little higher with the MR918 and the groups a bit better.

This is all over just a few months worth of shooting, I have been shooting Glock 19s almost exclusively since 2005 - if I give myself another 6-12 months with the MR918s, I really expect even bigger differences.

boilergonzo and -JCN- like this.
  5. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

Of course there will be differences for different shooters. For me I have no issues with speed or accuracy running either my 918 or my Gen5 glocks. There is no measurable difference between them. I am also comparing them to Gen5 guns not 4th Gens.

I can say the same for my worked over Glocks also. For me it is the lack of finger humps that makes a difference. When running at speed, the finger humps interfere with my grip. I am more accurate at speed without the humps, and I am sure if I timed myself I would be slightly faster as well. The finger humps just don't feel as natural from the draw as the slick front strap. That could easily equate into a slower time.

I am by no means bashing the MR pistols I think for the money they are fantastic. The guys there are great and they are made here in Texas, what's not to like.

If what I have heard about the next generation of Glocks rings true, it will narrow that gap even more. :)

TXPO

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    -JCN- likes this.
  6. Orive 8

Orive 8

I do see what you are saying, I have not shot any Gen 5 19s, my experience with Gen 5 Glocks is shooting a friends Gen 5 26. I have had the chance to shoot it some and found the trigger on it to my liking, even though I don't like 26s due to the grip hump.

At this point, I've kept two of the MR918 (sold my third one a month ago) and really can't see going back to a Glock 19 - unless something amazing was to happen... these two pistols should see me through until its time to slide into the ol furnace!

-JCN- likes this.
  7. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

I'm with ya. I had two MR918 and sold one, which I wish now I wouldn't have. I prefer the looks of the 918 over the 920, but that a personal thing.

If I don't happen on another 918, then I will be forced to get a 920, of the horror. :nailbiting:

TXPO

-JCN- likes this.
  8. jr24

jr24

The boring, old, outdated, no innovation G19 is still awful hard to beat for what it does.

I've tried, so many times, to find the better mousetrap.

ithaca_deerslayer and -JCN- like this.
  9. bac1023

bac1023

Good info

Thanks for posting

-JCN- likes this.
  10. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Basically just a matter of whether or not you really prefer a full size frame.

-JCN- and jr24 like this.
  11. Orive 8

Orive 8

JCN,
    Just watched your video again and noticed something that I had glanced over the first time. That's not a stock Glock 19 that you are shooting.

Looks like a Suarez slide and barrel in it. So the actual test that you performed is between a MR918 and a Customized Gen 5 Glock 19. Again as I posted before, I have not shot a Gen 5 Glock 19 (though I have owned 30+ 19s, Gen 2s,3s, & 4s) but I would think that the Suarez slide and barrel are going to offer a little benefit in performance. (I've actually read a bit about his slides and barrels and from what I have read posted from those who use them - they are good to go!)

Again, I do love the Glock 19 pistol so those of you that think I'm not a fan of the gun are very wrong. I'm going to have to rent a 19 when this Chi Com flu ends and put one through its paces... it will have to be one without the front cut out, but I do want to shoot one.

Regarding Suarez Slides and barrels - I am thinking of maybe getting one for my Glock 26 or if I get a Poly 80 26 frame.

-JCN- likes this.
  12. Toocool45

Toocool45

Those that have the MR920 or MR918? Is the grip angle the same as a Glock 19? Explain the backstrap options. How accurate of a pistol are they at 25 yards? Just saw one today for sale. I'm considering it but it's not a glock. Are those aftermaket mag pol mags good? Do they need a break in? The gun? Thanks

13. Toocool45

Toocool45

Any body have experience with this platform?

14. BlkSheep

BlkSheep

They are legit. The grip modules are different in that they change the angle of the bore axis slightly with each module. Example, 1911ish or Traditional Glockish. I carried a Glock 19 off-duty for 15 years and actually had it sent to Wilson Combat for some work last year and sold it when I got my MR918. If you are looking for a complete custom Glock19ish gun outta the box you cant beat them for the price. I bought two. One to carry and one to train with.

Orive 8 likes this.
  15. Orive 8

Orive 8

I currently have two Shadow Systems MR918s (had a third but sold it a month or so ago). The MR918 has replaced my Glock 19s, I am a big fan of the Glock 19 - have owned 30+ 19s since 2005 (Gens 2s, 3s, and 4s). Someone in another thread asked me "Is the Shadow worth it and why in your opinion? How does it beat out a Glock?"

My answer:
    Is it better? That depends on the shooter and what he/she likes or wants. FOR ME, again for me, it is. I say that having owned 30+ Glock 19s and EDCing one since 2005.

1. The grip fits me better than any 19 that I have owned or shot (with the exception of a Bowie Tactical grip reduction and a Robar grip reduction 19). The adjustable back - rear hump is a great feature. The stippling/texturing on the grip is fantastic - for me. Better than any texture on any of the different Glock 19 gens as far as I am concerned.

2. It comes with a very good trigger, better than any stock 19 trigger that I have ever shot. I am a stock trigger guy, always have been; I've only bought one after market trigger in 35 years, a SSVI Tyr trigger - and I didn't even install it in my 43, I ended up giving it to a friend. The trigger on this gun is a factory trigger, so no-one can say "oh lord, he modified his trigger; yada yada yada" something that means something to me (I know that not all shooters think that way, but I do and it matters to me, if it doesn't to you - no problem, I can understand that too.)

3. Sights - fantastic, I like them a lot. Yep, I can get Trijicon HDs or Ameriglo's for my regular 19s and I like Trijicon HDs a lot, but getting these for a stock 19 is going to cost some extra $$.

4. Barrel - I can shoot my 19s good, but with the MR918s (all three of mine) I am getting to an almost "surgical" state. I am impressed with the accuracy of these guns. Both my wife and a couple of friends who have shot these guns agree on this, my buddy is looking to sell his M&P 9c & Glock 48 to free funds for a MR918 - he's that impressed.

5. The beaver tail and undercut on the trigger guard = fantastic, for me these two points have been done perfectly.

6. All of the above and the fact that I can still use my Glock 19 and Magpul mags and all of the dozens of 19 holsters for this gun - a big plus (this wouldn't be the case if I switched from a Glock 19 to a different brand...)

The first one I bought cost me $720, the next two $650 each. For me, the extra $$ was well worth it.

I really like Glock 19s, but now with these guns, I don't see myself owing another one again (unless my friend decides to do me a solid and sell me that Robar grip reduction 19 that he has... still working on that!)

I'm a fan, I am also thinking of picking up a MR920 Elite later on to set up with a red dot sight.

Gary1911A1 and pag23 like this.
  16. Toocool45

Toocool45

So what kind of accuracy at 25 yards could I get out of a MR920 combat? Is it going to be vastly superior to the glock or a game changer? For 1 the trigger was outstanding, that would for sure come into play right?

17. Orive 8

Orive 8

"So what kind of accuracy at 25 yards could I get out of a MR920 combat?" I can't answer that for you.

"Is it going to be vastly superior to the glock or a game changer?" As I stated in my post above, that will depend. For me it is a better option.

"For 1 the trigger was outstanding, that would for sure come into play right?" I find the trigger to be really good. I find that I can shoot the MR918 at speed "better" than my Glock 19s, I've only been shooting the MR918s since the beginning of Feb 2020, with time I expect to be shooting them even better. (This is based on different drills and courses of fire that I run during my practice sessions.)

18. Toocool45

Toocool45

I found a flat dark earth MR920 (its all FDE) colored. Loved the sight picture. Trigger was great. I might go back to check it out again. Ill usually shoot 100-200 rounds at a time. With 5 shot groups thrown in (hand held). Usually 4-8 groups per outing slow fire 1 second per shot. Not just standing there milking the trigger. But i do like accuracy. And stock Glocks are plenty accurate for me. I just thought this would be really cool. Thats why im askin. Thanks for the input!!!
    Orive8, I remember reading when you made the switch. How you were enamored with the new toy(s)! Dumping front Slide serations g4 19.

19. H@zmatt

[email protected]

It doesn't appear that 19 is stock. I think the shadow systems shine in that you'll come out ahead if you plan serious mods to the gun. eg. sights , optics cut, stippling. You might be a lot better off just going with a shadow gun. I have a gen 3 19 I bought in 04 for right around 550. I've been considering sending it to atei for a bunch of work that will run between 750 to 900 on top of that initial 550.

20. -JCN-

-JCN-

The lower of the Glock is a bone stock Gen 5. Modifications in the lower are where I usually notice any “shootability” improvement.

The slide combo may add some minimal barrel accuracy but not any shootability in my experience.

I have a completely stock G19 MOS but that’s in my nightstand safe. I have not noticed any shootability difference between that and the Suarez slide.

My thought is that the MR920 really feels like a Gen 5 Glock. Not much performance difference and definitely doesn’t live up to the “super flat shooting” advertising hype.

I think it’s a fine value if you were going to do those mods, but I don’t know that there’s much objective performance improvement. Especially compared to a Gen 5 MOS.

The one exception to that is if you were used to a different grip angle like for a 1911. The different backstrap angle thing really does work.

Maybe I’ll notice more improvement after I break it in more. But it’s not a Shadow 2 or an EDC X9.

[email protected] likes this.