GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help from the GT community. I purchased a SS MR920 a couple months ago and love the gun BUT.... I randomly have the mag drop out (4 times over ~750 rounds) but all occurrences within the last 250 rounds. I’m not sure if there is an issue with the gun, the gen 4 mag aren’t reliable in a Gen 5 configuration of its simple operator error and I am somehow pressing the mag release “just enough” to let it drop out. In all cases, the gun fails to chamber a round and the mag has dropped 1/8th inch and the gun just goes “CLICK”.

Looking for thoughts, advice or recommended items to check. Love the gun but the last two range sessions have me concerned about reliabilty with the gun or my current grip mechanics.

So in short....HELP

·
MacGyver
6,996 Posts
Is this a Glock? Are you new to pistol shooting (under a year, or 5000 rounds, experience)?

^^"I am somehow pressing the mag release “just enough” to let it drop out." is the most likely answer. Grip it harder when you shoot.

Pull on the mag to make sure it is fully seated before shooting (a full mag can deceive) - if it consistently still does it rule out your finger, then start replacing parts.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don’t have your pistol but I know that a Ghost mag release in my G34.5 was chewing up my support hand. If it didn’t hurt at every shot I would have never thought it possible to touch it with my grip. I rounded the edge and all is well again.

It would be nice if it was more frequent. Then you could put something on the button to see if you are pressing it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
1) On a fresh magazine how many rounds are fired before the magazine drops?

2) Have you noticed it happening when you pull the pistol from your holster and then fire it?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a Glock? Are you new to pistol shooting (under a year, or 5000 rounds, experience)?

^^"I am somehow pressing the mag release “just enough” to let it drop out." is the most likely answer. Grip it harder when you shoot.

Pull on the mag to make sure it is fully seated before shooting (a full mag can deceive) - if it consistently still does it rule out your finger, then start replacing parts.
It is a Shadow Systems Glock Clone. Have been shooting for years (~30+) but recently taken a few defensive courses that could have shifted my grip. I am also doing a lot of work out of the holster VS the bench. If I am somehow pressing it, I don’t realize it and the randomness of this has me wondering if it’s me, the mag or the gun.

1) On a fresh magazine how many rounds are fired before the magazine drops?

2) Have you noticed it happening when you pull the pistol from your holster and then fire it?
1) The 4 times it has happened, it has been with a fresh mag and exactly 4 rounds in. The 3rd round fires, the mag drops and does not load a round into the barrel.

2) The first time I came out of the holster, fired 3 rounds and then click. The other 3 times I was working out of the holster on Mozambique drills - draw, fire 3 and re-holster. Your question has me wondering if I am somehow inadvertently hitting the mag release when re-holstering the weapon. The first time could have been the same if I was somehow holding the mag in “just enough” to cycle on those first three rounds.

·
MacGyver
6,996 Posts
^^^1) The 4 times it has happened, it has been with a fresh mag and exactly 4 rounds in. The 3rd round fires, the mag drops and does not load a round into the barrel.^^^

This is not voodoo magic.
  • Is the clone out of spec for stock components?
  • Check your holster...is the mag release anywhere near a part of the holster that could compress and activate it though the day. If so trim it with a razor to create more space.
  • Check your preferred grip-- do several blind dry draw/fires- and look to see where your fingers are- could they contact the button on recoil. Truth and honestly.
  • Slapping the mag is a hollywood/TV visual, looks dramatic for Jon Wick but is not good-- try to pull on the mag to check seating rather than assume your smack is hard enough. Tactical reloads are the time to do this (closed slide). Putting a mag in on an open slide is easier.
  • Check your hardware-look at the ledges on your mags, are they worn or chewed? Put your finger inside the mag or shine a light in-- is the mag catch worn or chewed.

Reactions: pntblnk

·
Registered
546 Posts
It is a Shadow Systems Glock Clone. Have been shooting for years (~30+) but recently taken a few defensive courses that could have shifted my grip. I am also doing a lot of work out of the holster VS the bench. If I am somehow pressing it, I don’t realize it and the randomness of this has me wondering if it’s me, the mag or the gun.

1) The 4 times it has happened, it has been with a fresh mag and exactly 4 rounds in. The 3rd round fires, the mag drops and does not load a round into the barrel.

2) The first time I came out of the holster, fired 3 rounds and then click. The other 3 times I was working out of the holster on Mozambique drills - draw, fire 3 and re-holster. Your question has me wondering if I am somehow inadvertently hitting the mag release when re-holstering the weapon. The first time could have been the same if I was somehow holding the mag in “just enough” to cycle on those first three rounds.
That was what I was thinking. I had an issue with a worn out holster that my body against the holster would pop the mag release.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts