Shadow Systems MR918 for EDC?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Anton Chigurh, Nov 10, 2019 at 9:39 AM.

1. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh

For the past couple of years I’ve been carrying gen 5 G19 MOS, and honestly can’t find anything not to like about it. That said, variety is the spice of life, and I’ve been considering changing things up.

In the spirit of trying something new I picked up a Sig P320 x-Carry, and couldn’t find anything to like more about it than my G19. Now I’m selling the P320, and am thinking of ordering a Shadow Systems MR918.

my question is this: would you trust an MR918 (or any other not-a-Glock) as your carry weapon?

2. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

3. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

OP, so was there anything particular you didn't like about the P320?

PS... just noticed I had my 20th anniversary on GT!

AdamRodgers, Jbritt and Whittsailor like this.
  4. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh

The only objective things I don’t like are that it doesn’t carry as comfortably as my G19 in terms of weight and dimensions, and that the only red dot it can accept is the Sig Romeo 1. Subjectively, I just shoot the Glock better (especially follow-up shots) which I suppose is to be expected after thousands of rounds down the pipe.

Congrats on 20 years!

jr24 likes this.
  5. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh

Now I’ve got to decide whether to go with the relatively simple Combat version, or the blinged Elite. My understanding is that they are identical other than additional machining to the Elite’s slide.

6. ADP3

ADP3

Is the Shadow Systems MR918 a fine firearm? YES

Would I like to own one? YES

Would I carry one? NO

I typically carry a close to box-stock G26 or G19. If I use it to defend myself the police will take it in as evidence until the shooting is ruled justifiable. Then, hopefully, after they've run their ballistics test and cleared me it will be returned to me in the same condition. My Glocks are plain, unexciting versions like the police carry and see every day. With a custom version like the Shadow Systems MR918 I am going to lose, at least temporarily, a pistol that cost twice what a standard version cost. The cops are going to want to check it out, and in the case of a friend of mine, they are going to pass it around at the range and shoot the heck out of it. When, if, it gets back to me it will likely not be in as good a condition as when I originally had it.

I buy carry guns for function. In all likelihood your pockets are deeper than mine (I'm a retired teacher) so if the Shadow Systems MR918 meets your needs, and you can afford to replace it and/or go without it for several months if you use it, go for it.

Best Regards,
    ADP3

7. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers Kilt in Da Streetz since 1999

My Girlfriend's Brother has a MR918 and he absolutely LOVES it. It has ran reliably for him and, at least his, is a fine handgun. He carrys it or a custom 19X daily.

Edited to add : His is the only one I have ever seen or shot. I would trust it.

8. TNRonin

TNRonin Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner! Millennium Member

Great points. Had I not snagged a blem lower I would think the same. I'm going to put my gen 3 slide on the one I bought which I have set up for carry. I shot my Frame for function the other day. Talk about a sweet shooting gun! It will go into to the rotation for winter carry once I confirm the new sights are properly regulated.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

As long as it proves reliable, I'd carry it without concern.

10. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh

Thanks, all. I just placed my order.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  11. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

Something of interest in the MR918 owners manual is, in the event you use the pistol in a self defense situation, and the pistol is held as evidence, Shadow Systems will give you a replacement pistol.

I do not know if this is until you get yours back, or what any of the specifics are, but the statement in and of itself is quite impressive.

TXPO

pgg00 and AdamRodgers like this.
  12. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh

Well, that negates the only argument I've seen against getting and carrying one.

13. 0311INF

0311INF

If by statistical anomaly it were to happen, getting your nice pistol back after a defensive shooting is probably going to be the least of your concerns.

14. ADP3

ADP3

Indeed. That would sell me on one, but knowing my propensities I'd still want two. :D

Best Regards,
    ADP3

15. pgg00

pgg00

People talk about their gun being held as evidence. That really in the great scheme of things doesn't matter. What matters is that gun did what it was meant and carried for. It was used in self defense to save your or a loved one's life. i would consider that money well spent even if I never got the gun back. I would happily plunk down the money for another one

AdamRodgers likes this.