close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Settle for a smaller tractor?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RED64CJ5, Jan 15, 2012.

1. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5

I really want a Kubota L3xxx series tractor, probably a L3400. Loader, of course. We have 26 acres and there is always something I could do a lot easier if I owned a tractor. I've rented tractors and hired things done but the man in me wants to have my own.

The thing is, a friend of mine has a Kubota BX-series tractor (overbuilt lawnmower), with loader for sale. I know he has taken very good care of it. It has a 60" belly mower, something I know I'd use for finish work in our LARGE yard. It would easily pull a 4-5' brush hog. This friend would make me a good deal, probably $7-8K for the package.

I realize I could buy a used L-series equipped as I want for about $10-12K. I'm comfortable in that price range. (Not interested in new.)

So here's the deal -- do I "settle" for the smaller tractor from a known entity, or do I hold out for the one I really want? Knowing myself, I could talk myself into settling. It's really not about the money.

Am I fooling myself to think the BX series will do what I want to do?

Share your experiences, please.

2. ThePhoneGuy

ThePhoneGuy

I don't know tractors, but I know whenever I ask a question the way you are asking it.............I already know the answer.

3. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

^^^^I agree.

If the one you wanted was double or triple the price, and you might get away with the smaller one, then maybe. The first time the smaller one doesn't do what you need it to, you'll be sorry you didn't hold out.

4. cphilip

cphilip

As a general rule... when it comes to tractors, always buy more than you really need. It will last longer. But really, how much heavy work do you need to do? Can you hire that out for less than the difference? Will the smaller unit be more practical for 95% of your uses?

5. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5

Yes, I would say the same thing if someone else posed this question.

About the "heaviest" thing I'd do is move a round bale of hay every once in a while. And yes, I CAN probably hire out for less than the difference. On the final question, I'd give it more around 75%.

Unless someone can help make the case for the smaller BX tractor, I will probably hold out. The friend's deal is nothing fantastic, it's just convenient and has the peace of mind knowing where it's been and who maintained it.

6. GermanyBound

GermanyBound One Bad Monkey

7. Buck_Turgidson

Buck_Turgidson

Buy the most tractor you can afford and don't look back. You won't be sorry. I have an L3700SU on 5 acres.

8. 1camper

1camper

I have a 1974 B6000 series tractor. Basically a big lawn mower. About a 12 HP water cooled diesel. Really a fantastic machine spreading gravel and topsoil, gets in small places, will fit in the bed of a small pickup.. It lacks the weight needed to operate a bush hog, that's why it has a belly mower.

If you need a lawn mower, a nice zero turn will give you better service than either tractor. If you need to plow a large area I'd suggest the larger tractor. However, if you're looking for something to spread dirt and tend a small garden in a tight area, the B series is a great piece of equiptment. I didn't pay near that much for mine, but it's really old.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  9. mhmills

mhmills

I only have five acres and I want a bigger tractor than what your looking at.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

I agree with buy more than you need. Make sure the one you buy will move the hay bales, some small loaders will max out on a 2,000# bale or you can pick it up but the rear will spin because of all the weight in the front like my old International does. If I ever upgrade it will have front wheel drive as well so I can get around better when cleaning snow.

11. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to KY to NC to OH to VA to GA to NY to FL....
    I have 2 acres and want to buy a skid steer!

My next project has me really concidering the purchase.

To the OP:
    Get the one you want.

12. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

You're on 26 acres. You may get more use out of the 3400, possibly even a 3940. You can get a good pull behind finish mower for about a grand used, plus have the added HP to pull a disk or a wider bush hog.

Keep this in mind though. Compact tractors are the most sought after, meaning they are pound for pound more expensive. You can get a good 45-50HP full size for about the same you can get a compact. If you are ever planning of pulling a baler in the future, I wouldn't go with anything less than a 55hp.

Oh, and you mentioned a loader. GET A 4WD!!! Get enough dirt in the bucket to take weight off the rear tires and you'll be glad you have the front to help pull.

13. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

I have a Kubota 3430, and it is a great general purpose tractor... It functions smooth as can be, cranks instantly and idles like silk every time no matter how long it sits or the temperature... Takes all day of bushhogging to go through the 10(ish) gallon tank... Mine is a 4wd, and I won't own a tractor that isn't... I find a 2wd tractor to be very limited especially with alot of weight in the loader and the weight comes off the rears... Nose down into a ditch with a 2wd and it's a problem but a 4wd will back on out like nothing ever happened...

My 33 hp diesel will effortlessly spin all 4 tires on dirt or pavement when tied to something so don't get hung up on hp ... When it comes to moving heavy things, traction is the key and weight is your friend... My tractor in 1st gear low range revved all the way up to 2,600 rpm still maxes out at less than 1 mph, they're geared to the moon all you gotta do it grip it... I've always liked tractors...

Like metioned in a previous post, hp is good for fast grass cutting or baleing but lower hp will do a whole lot of things with grip...

14. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Don't settle, buy one up from what you want, not one down...

15. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

What type of tries do you have? It's really easy to spin a tractor on pavement, or even dirt if you have turf tires. Throw some R1 ag tires on there and get out in the field with a heavy disk and HP comes in handy.

16. podwich

podwich

If money isn't an issue, get what you need. I know I'd regret settling the first time I ran into a project that required the larger machine.

That, and what's more expensive: buying what you need the first time, or buying something too small, selling it, then buying what you need after all? ;)

17. Paul_J

Paul_J

I have an old '75 Ford 3000 with a front end loader. I mostly mow with a thresher, some small plowing and some occasional dirt work around the place. A lot of the time I wish I had my old A/C 20hp. It was so much easier to maneuver around and could go so many more places the 3000 won't go. Sometime the smaller tractor is just easier to deal with.

18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Get the biggest tractor you can afford.
    I've never been sorry for buying too big but I have been sorry for buying too small.

But what do I know. I went to town for groceries and came home with a new tractor.:supergrin:
    [​IMG]

19. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Contradictory statements.

If it isn't about the money, buy what you want new. This way you know the history and have the size you want.

If it is about the money, you need to decide if the smaller one will do what you need. Anyone who thinks they know your situation better than you is fooling themselves.

You will also have to justify the risk of buying unknown used item.

20. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Just go buy the damn thing. :supergrin: