close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Setting up Fax in Win 98

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by proshooter, Mar 3, 2006.

1. proshooter

proshooter member

Here at the office, we are trying to eliminate the fax machine since 99% of the faxes that we get are junk anyways. The cost is building up in paper and printer ribbon that is used for useless faxes.

We want to set up an old computer to be used entirely for fax and internet. The computer is running Windows 98 SE, so I don't think it has fax capabilities built in to it. So I am looking on eBay for WinFax version 10.

The computer in question already has a wireless g card for use on our network, but it does not have a phone modem. Another computer has a 56k modem that is not being used, so I thought about switching it out.

I guess I am trying to get some input as to how to exactly go about this. Here are some major questions that I have:

1. Will Win 98 automatically recognize the 56k modem once it is installed, or will I have to download software for it?

2. How easy is it to use WinFax 10? Is is fairly user friendly, and easy to set up?

3. Do you just use a regular flat bed scanner to send faxes, and does WinFax have scanning software integrated?

I am not a total dufus when it comes to computers. I can usually figure stuff out with a little trial and error. But I figure I can save myself some time and effort if anyone here knows the answers to my questions.

2. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

1. Windows might detect and install the modem, but it's a good idea to go to the manufacturers website and download the specific driver for it. Windows might install a default driver that won't allow it to use any special features such as faxing. Or it's also likely it won't recognize it at all.

2. I've never used WinFax 10, sorry.

3. Winfax will essentially have its own scanning software, though you have to have the scanner already set up, as it will just borrow the driver that needs to already be installed.

I've used several different kinds of fax software that came with different modems, and never had too terrible a time getting it setup and functioning. You just need to set aside a few minutes to click around and acclimate yourself to the software. When you download the driver to the modem, it will likely come with Fax software.

Sorry I couldn't give more specific advice, but hopefully that helped you out a little bit. -dok

3. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

1 ... Windows will detect the device but odds are it will not know what drivers are needed. It’s been my experience that Win98se rarely finds drivers for any device, especially those manufactured since 99. I’d do as doktarZues suggested, get the drives before you install the modem.

2 & 3 ... Yes & Yes, I had a user that used WinFax Pro 8. Once I installed the software and scanner he was able to teach himself how use it. On a scale of 1 to 10 this guys computer skills were 4 ... and I’m being generous.

The first thing I’d do is to wipe and reinstall the OS on the computer, that way you start with a clean system and don’t inherit old problems.

4. proshooter

proshooter member

Thanks guys! I had already started wiping the OS off the computer and reinstalling. There were alot of files that were deleted or corrupted and the computer would always freeze up. It was a nightmare to work on;g I even tried for two hours to get it to create a startup disc, but it wouldn't. Luckily, I found an old one for another computer.

We didn't have much use for the old thing until we decided to use it as a fax machine. I just hope I can figure the whole thing out. I would rate myself a 6 as far as computers go, maybe even a 7 if you give me enough time. But I gotta tell you... the more I deal with computers, the more of a headache I get~ts

Thanks for all your help!