close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

serrated vs. straight edge blades for EDC

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by DrtyHarry, Aug 19, 2010.

1. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

I know this topic was brought up before, but I don't have the access to contribute to the thread so I thought I would ask here.

From a self defense point of view, would you rather carry a single edge blade, a double edge blade, or one with serrations. I can see the advantage of having a serrated blade that could cut through leather jackets (or a seat belt in an emergency)....but my understanding is that serrated blades can get caught up in clothing heaven forbid you get into a knife fight.

I would like to hear the opinion of those who carry concealed knives for self defense purposes. Thanks!

DH

2. Ernest Emerson

Ernest Emerson

Dear DrtyHarry,

Always - always, carry a knife with serrations. That is an internet myth that I wish would go away. Think of hitting something with the force of a baseball swing. Serrations do not hang up on anything. Never did. Never will.

Best Regards,

Ernest R. Emerson

1eyedjack01 and nosuchagency like this.

3. LApm9

LApm9 Silver Member

Thanks for the advice!

4. hogarth

hogarth

Zippers. Serrations can hang up on zippers.

5. porschedog

porschedog

I carry a Spydeco Copilot with a serrated blade pretty much 99 percent of the time ( it stays home when I fly commercial). It opens anything like a little chainsaw.

6. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Serrations would really seem to be an advantage should you let your knife get dull. Of course, don't let your knife get dull. ;)

7. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Liberty or Death

Serrations are great if you're going to be cutting rope or cord but for generally EDC use I don't think they're needed. They take 1/3 to 1/2 of your working blade, they make the knife harder to sharpen and like I said, unless you're cutting rope you really don't need them IMHO.

dartor likes this.
  8. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Serrated just because it's more versatile.

9. bdcochran

bdcochran

1. your skill set counts for more than choice of type of blade.
    2. you qualified the term edc knife by making reference to defense.
    3. do you understand why military issued bayonets are not sharpened to a hair cutting edge? Answer - the concept is that you are thrusting into someone and twisting the knife to do as much damage as possible.
    4. the concept of doing the most damage carries over to a small edc knife that has a serrated blade. A serrated cut can not be sewn. (Not theoretical, been there!)
    5. have you noticed why a highly sharpened knife blade cuts more easily into raw fish than a serrated blade and vice versa when cutting a steak? Although some people may act fishy, their cutting surfaces more resemble beef.

In many posts, I stress the value of skill set being higher than the choice of steel, bade design. You can find out why yourself by going and taking a knife fighting class from a competent instructor. You will observe that many people cut themselves in the classes. You will probably also observe that the fights, practice or real, are normally over in a few seconds, unlike what is in the movies you watch.

10. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I carry a light , a knife , and a gun every day... I generally have carried a half serrated knife for EDC and defense. Lately I have been carrying a spyderco tenacious or resilience... with a straight blade... no serrations. I like that the blade is easier to sharpen.

I think serrations have their place, but knowing how to use a knife in my opinion is far more important than the. Exact blade features.