Serpa Holsters?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by jstephens202, Jan 17, 2020.

1. jstephens202

jstephens202

I have read alot about "problems" with Serpa holsters. I have been using one for my 1911 duty gun(Springfield TRP) for years with no problems. Use one for plain clothes carry as well.

I like the retention factors and the fact that I can holster with one hand easily(no thumb break, etc, to mess with). I have used it in several classes where we had to roll around in the dirt and mud and have had no problems. I do make an extra effort to keep it clean, but then I do that with all my essential life saving equipment.

I haven't had any problems with finger placement. Upon clearing the holster, my finger migrates to the index point just in front of the slide stop "button".

So, all that being said, am I just being old and set in my ways and resistant to change? All I have been reading says my Serpa is a big disaster waiting to happen.
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks Mas for passing on all you know!

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

I don't care for any paddle holsters; they're inherently vulnerable to being torn off the belt in a struggle for the gun, and tend to lean out away from the body, compromising discreet concealment.

I do still allow the SERPA in my classes. I make the stipulation that the students remember FINGERPRINT, NOT FINGERTIP! The unintentional discharges on the draw with this type of holster appear to come from using the fingertip on the paddle release, which causes the finger to snap into the trigger guard as soon as it clears leather, while the muzzle is pointed at the wearer's leg. By using FINGERPRINT to press the release, the finger is kept straight throughout the draw.

Best,
    Mas

sullyxlh, fastbolt, nursetim and 2 others like this.

3. jstephens202

jstephens202

Thanks for the info! I too don't get warm and fuzzy over paddles. I use the belt loop attachment for my plain clothes Serpa. It's okay under a loose duty type jacket or windbreaker, but not regular clothes.