Seriously, shirt collar on the outside of jacket collar?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by fnfalman, Feb 12, 2010.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

We have a mandate at work that during big meeting between the senior staff, the dress code is business casual. For men that means suit sans ties or sport coat & slack sans ties, or with ties if people want. Today we had a new guy that just came on about a month ago and this was his big meeting. He's round thirty-something so you'd think he'd know better. The guy came in with his dress shirt untucked and shirt collar on the outside of the jacket collar.

I pulled him over the side and told him to tuck in his shirt and tuck in the shirt collar because this is a meeting for the senior staff of a multi-billion dollar company and not a try-out for John Travolta's disco movies. I suppose I could have kept my sarcasm in check, but for Christ's sake, he ain't a wet-behind-the-ears college kid on his first job. Maybe that look is uber chic at a sushi bar, but that's not a look at a business meeting. Anyway the dude told me that he doesn't work for me and doesn't have to answer to me and kept on going. The senior VP in charge of this particular meeting pulled him over and had some frank exchanges that resulted in the guy red faced, tucking in his shirt and adjusted his collar.

I pulled the guy's immediate supervisor over and told him that apparently he had failed to instruct his people to follow simple sartorial protocols and that next time one of his people get smarmy on me, I'd have his *** for his people's stupidity.

I suppose I could have been more diplomatic with my correction to the transgressor, but dammit, a 30-something-years-old "professional" oughtta know how to freakin' dress for formal meetings.

2. bobbman

bobbman

should...but ya never know... Did you have a customer there?I can't believe you don't have to wear a tie if your in a customer meeting

3. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Do people really think that looks good?

I mean, not even professional, here. That's a given. Untucked anything looks like crap, in an otherwise professional setting. But I just mean good/cool/attractive/whatever...folks my age LIKE to put shirt collars outside of jacket collars, somewhere?

Really?

4. trifecta

trifecta

He was the only one professional enough to wear his shirt untucked and his collar out.

5. JK-linux

JK-linux

When in Rome... a simple concept so many seem to miss. Personally, I think forcing people to dress up for work in a non public facing job is stupid (ex: at the corp office, in a data center, etc...) Still if you don't own the company, you should respect the wishes of those who do, or hit the bricks.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

No customer present but some really, really, really bigwigs were there.

We wear T-shirt & jeans for regular work days, but now and then in a formal meeting (with or without clients), the satorial standard is business casual. Our annual meeting's satorial standard is business formal (suit & tie).

7. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Just my thought here but I'd say your advice was solid and could have helped the guy if he'd had the good sense to listen to it. Perhaps if you'd used a different approach he wouldn't have gotten offended and responded in such a stupid and childish manner. I feel like he should have been mature and experienced enough to at least know how to dress for a business meeting without anyone having to say anything to him. Still, he might have taken the advice but you obviously pushed one of his buttons which set the tone for his response. Just sayin'.................

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Fn,

didya mean sartorial? :headscratch:

'Drew

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Okay, so I missed an "r". Damn spelling nazis.:tongueout:

10. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

Obviously he's been taking lessons...

http://www.weallscheme.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/******bag-kid-in-a-pink-polo.jpg

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I figured he should also be smart enough to quickly glance at the organizational chart and know who's who above him as well.

You're right though. I could have been more diplomatic, except that I have little patience for those who supposedly have been around a bit. If it were a 24-years-old kid out of college, I would have been a bit less astringent.

12. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

13. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

You guys crack me up.

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

It's the only revenge I got, after you leaned into me like that at today's meeting, channeling Gunny like that.

Say, did you have road-kill for lunch or something? :supergrin: :tongueout:

16. elsolo

elsolo

Dude, he was totally dressed up, those were $300 jeans he was wearing and they just look worn out because that's the fashion. You geezers wouldn't understand. Hell, you probably call people and talk to them on your cell phone instead of texting them.

17. flagg

flagg

He was carrying a full size 1911 and you went and outed him.

Jeez dude.

18. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Yep, go puttin' on airs in GnG and ya have to deal with the pros. :rofl:

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Might as well have been roadkill for lunch. It both amazes and baffles me every time we have these meetings and get to eat really crappy lunches & dinners. Not cheap either, mind you, yet crappy nonetheless.

20. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I love how "business casual" means different things to different people.
    I have seen it mean shorts and a tshirt to some.
    I usually take it to mean a polo type shirt tucked in, and dress pants.
    And now I am finding out it means wearing a tie in your organization. If this is business casual, what is business?

BTW, I hear a lot of attitude in your post. If this is the attitude you gave the 30 something, I am not surprised that he blew you off.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010