close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Serious Hunters- Would Would You Do?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GLWyandotte, Oct 8, 2012.

1. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

My boss's boss is heartless.
    We picked up a large account and she pulled any scheduled vacations until it opens. There are 20 in our mgt group, nobody has a scheduled vacation except me- scheduled since January.
    The account opens 11/5.

I take 1 vacation in the summer, 1 in the fall; I usually lose time I accrue as it doens't roll over. I have 5 weeks a year, usually can only use 3 as there's always a reason why I'm needed.
    I have assisted in the opening of every account in my 13 years with the company.

She is attempting to pull my deer hunting vacation, which begins 11/3. It will (or would have been) the first year I take my daughter. She has looked forward to this for years. She's taken firearms safety, got a new rifle and it looks like I'm going to have to give her horrid news.
    Where I live deer hunting is a way of life and a supplement to how we feed our family through the winter.
    My bioch high level boss could care less.

I appreciate any serious advice. "You're lucky you have a job" doesn't help me. I have written her an email, laid out my continued commitment to our company and she hasn't even acknowledged my request to take my approved vacation.
    :steamed:

2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

You are lucky to have a job.

....and 5 weeks of vacation

3. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Sounds like a good time to find another job. I've never left a job because of money, only because of lack of respect have I left a job. Once in a while sure you work the overtime, put off some time off and change your work schedule. But no vacation for almost a year and no response is not what a responsible boss does. Cancel the vacation, find another job.

4. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Sorry about the situation, but sounds like you are screwed. If you go hunting for deer, you may end up hunting for a job right afterwards.

Having 13 years with the company and having 5 weeks of vacation a year (even if you don't get to take it) would be very hard to replace.

Is there any possible way were you can go hunting during the days of your planned vacation, but do some work from home (or deer camp) at night? Wireless modem type stuff?

Feel for ya' but the boss is the boss, and going against her orders may land you someplace you don't want to be.

5. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Man,I would be ticked. Bow season opens here the 15th. I have vacation the last week in Oct and the first two weeks in November. It is what I wait for all year.

If it happened to me then I couldn't do much. I have to support my family. How demanding is your position? Are you someone that would be difficult to replace? If so you could approach the boss and lay out what you have done and how others could handle the task for this period.

Hunting is very big here too. I know guys that get into work that revolves around hunting. I know carpenters that will work all they can just to take the whole hunting season off.

I know at least one that would probably quit a good paying job if it came between choosing. He is working 7 12 s and all he thinks about is deer hunting. I don't know what he will do if they don't change the schedule back. They told him it was just for the next two weeks.

6. puckhead

puckhead

How far away is your camp? You could go on your regular weekends. One day out is better than none

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

what if you had planned a family trip to Europe... would she refund your tickets for the family, hotel room, and lost week of vacation for your wife?

it could be a loss of $10K or so....

8. prism

prism more ammo

if you have to work, tell her its a different week, not cancelled.

make sure it happens sometime this fall/winter. do it later in the season, or even go to another state for their season. or make it a duck hunting trip. whatever.

9. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Sounds to me like he doesn't have 5 weeks vacation.

OP, I don't know what you do for a living...but no job is going to stop me from taking my daughter on her first deer hunt.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  10. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

The bad news...she's the boss, period. She makes the decisions and lives or dies by them.

Better news.....Continue to reason with her; document every conversation...if she still refuses, it may be time to move above her. Sounds like she could use a butt chew'n from someone higher up...unless....she is the owner too.....then you're screwed.

Keep trying the reasoning track.

Good Luck! Keep us posted.

:wavey:

red

11. napp32

napp32

Sounds like an excellent time to teach your daughter that life isn't always a smooth ride; and sometimes responsibilities override desires.

12. CBennett

CBennett

Im not preaching because everyone has to do what they can to work and have a job to support a family..but I told myself id never have a job like that, id never take work home, and my time off is my time off. I think by now id have been long gone from a job like yours(meaning the working conditions). My advice if you can find a new job and let them know or make sure up front you know what the...rules are or whats expected of you and what you can expect from them.

Now with the economy if you cant do that..I feel for ya but looks like your stuck.

Or you can just suck it up and ride it out some places are like yours and dont really give a dung about their employees(as i said id never work at a place like that but..) and just drive on and do something else at another time(different hunt, later in the season hunt)

BUT in a job like yours if surely DO my job but give little to nothing to any other parts(meaning if they want you to work extra put forth a ton of effort lol)

on a side note for at least the first day can you get ONE day off to at least take her...or yeah in a job where they dont obviously care about you or your family is sick time a option?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  13. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Unfortunately, they don't have too. However, they could if they wanted to.....depends on the employer. :dunno:

:wavey:

red

14. Keoking

Keoking

For me it would be an easy decision.
    Family needs rice in their belly, shoes on their feet, and a roof over their heads. While vacation days are justified, formal vacations are often a luxury.
    At my job, I try to take 1.5 weeks consecutive in the fall for Family plans, but I've had to curtail or cancel it 2 out of the last 5 years. In return, my job gives me money and my Family benefits. My vacation days are typically scattered across the year, scheduled at the last minute at times where my job isn't a ****storm.

15. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

It's only 150 miles, trouble is, I am be asked to work Fri, 11/2- Sunday, 11/11 straight. That is exactly the days of my vacation and exactly the days of my deer season.

My position is demanding and replacing me would be worst case scenario for them. Bearing that in mind, I hate to burn a bridge.

Zip it.

16. apphunter

apphunter

Any chance you can put in a few extra hours between now and then to get the account open early?

17. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Looks like your boss is being a *****, you have the upper hand here anyway. It's really up to you, but remember this...the memories of you and your kids can never be replaced.

18. Adjuster

Adjuster

Are you being well compensated for your quality of work and your 13 year commitment and giving up a few weeks vacation per year? What I am getting at is perhaps your employer feels they are compensating you very well for the trouble they are giving you and the flexibility they need from you. If you don't feel like your'e being paid adequately for what your'e giving to the company and your sacrifices then it may indeed be time to start shopping around for a new employer.

/

19. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

No, not really. I can set up some of our proprietary software, but when one service company leaves Friday at 3pm and we move in at 3:01pm in order to provide full service on Monday morning, there not alot that can be predone.

20. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

It's one of those deals- I'm paid within what the market will bear for my position. I am not being compensated for lost earned time. My company is taking advantage of the fact that jobs are hard to come by. I understand this too well.
    Shopping for a new employer is what I would have done 15 years ago, but I am 50 and it's just not that easy to start over, giving up security and the theoretical vacation time.