close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Serious Glock 27

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by hickok45, Dec 22, 2006.

1. hickok45

hickok45 Millennium Member

Sorry, hope you didn't tune in to see a bunch of "tactical" crap bolted onto a Glock.

With about a decade of carrying, competing, qualifing, and experimentation with Glock subcompacts, I thought I'd share what works very, very well for me. And, by the way, I shoot them several times a week on my range from 10 yards to 80 yards. I'll include a pic of mine.

Night Sights:
    First of all, I can take or leave night sights. The previously owned GL27 I carry now has them, so that's fine. They don't seem to interfere with daylight shooting, so I'll leave them on.

Contouring:
    First thing I do with every Glock I buy is take my Dremel and flatten out the bottom of the trigger guard (see pic). You would not believe how much taking off a little goes a long way in this regard, rather like a half inch either way on a rifle stock. Mainly, I just want to get that annoying hump off.

Decal Grip:
    I take the widely available Decal Grip and either use the precut ones or cut strips to place in strategic locations on the grip. First clean with alcohol. I replace this about once a year, as the grit wears down a bit. Amazing difference in how a subcompact handles; plus, it obviates the desire to add extensions, which are not needed anyway.

Shoot it: I shoot the things extensively. They are great fun and much more accurate out to longer ranges than you'd ever need. My buddy and I knock down steel silhouettes on my range way out there with regularity. I'm bragging on the gun, not myself.

Mind over little finger: We're acccustomed to guns with big grips, but don't let the little finger bother you; it does NOT have to be ON the grip. Curl it beneath and you'll do fine. The existing grip tucks neatly into the hand and actually fosters better shooting, I think, than having the pinky finger involved.

These modifications, or lack thereof, work very well for me. Without grip extensions, I can pocket carry when I want, yet it still works great out of a holster. I have large hands, by the way, and can palm a basketball, lest you think I'm a midget.

I know some would disagree with "carving" on your Glock, but it's never had ill effects on any of mine, and I'm not concerned about resale value, just shootability.

Don't mean to be a know-it-all, but these things work well for me, and I thought I'd get in touch with my feminine side and share during this Christmas season. ;-)

Be glad to answer questions if I can help.
    Greg

2. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

1-how many rounds out of it?
    2-whats your Preventive maint program for detail stripping, spring changes, etc, etc....

I love my sub compacts.

thanks for posting, have a happy & healthy new year.

3. jeb_ingram

jeb_ingram

Your 27 says "SW" after the 40. Mine just says .40. Hold old is your 27?

4. lunde

lunde

One other modification that helps, at least for me, is to replace the serrated trigger assembly with the corresponding smooth version. The factory part number is 357.

5. jpshaw

jpshaw

I will second lunde on the non-serrated trigger. I ordered two triggers for the G17 since I didn't know the part numbers and put them in my G19 and G27. The serrated trigger, I am told, is just to gain points on the smaller Glocks in order to import them.

6. hickok45

7. hokieglock

hokieglock Proud Infidel

here is what i did/do to my two subs(g26,g27)

1. night sights
    2. 3.5lb trigger
    3. grip tape
    4. GAP floor plate for the mag in the gun, +1 ext for spare mag
    5. shoot the crap out of 'em!!!!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

thanks for the post G. Glock, i would also go to war with my g27 or g26(especially in lieu of the M9) as long as my bushy went with me:supergrin:

8. voraus

voraus

you've pushed me over the edge. I've got a couple of 17s and a 19 but I think the first gun of 2007 will be a 26.

9. BustedFlush

BustedFlush Springy Member

G. Glock,

Nice post and pic. I'm a fan of the 27 as you can see from my pic below. I like the crisper slide serrations on the older Glocks as well.

Glock dropped the "SW" around 1997. His 27 appears to have the smooth fingergrooves, so it was an early one, probably made in 1995 or 1996. He can tell us the SN alpha prefix and we can nail it down.

My older 27 was made in 1996. Newer one with shiny finish made in 2002.

[​IMG]

10. jeb_ingram

jeb_ingram

Cool, Thanks.

11. hickok45

I think I ran the serial number when I bought it, and it was 1996 maybe, or I may be thinking about my older G26.

Serial number:

BRB5**

12. 2pid1

2pid1

My G27 with smooth finger grooves and a 40S&W stamped slide has the serial # prefix of BTV and I took delivery in 2/96

13. watertower

watertower

G. Glock,
    It's nice to see some people still leave pistols almost stock and shoot them. I really don't change anything nowadays, as I like knowing that I can pick up almost any Glock and shoot it.

After a 1200 round 2 day class, I've seriously considered the Dremel fix for the trigger guard, just haven't gotten to it.

Just curious, while you obviously shoot a lot, did you ever spend much time just dry firing? I ask, because I spent more time dry firing during the first 2 years of owning a Glock than I did actually shooting it. I truly believe those early years helped me a lot with trigger control, so I preach dry fire practise to anybody that will listen.

14. hickok45

Watertower,

I've done a little dry firing, but I think having my own range out the back door since 1983 has probably caused me to do less of that than most. It's just too easy to stick bullets in and grab the muffs, which I do about every day.

I just love to shoot - Glocks, 1911's, double action revolvers, single actions revolvers, lever guns, military rifles, etc. Ted Kennedy would not like me at all!

15. watertower

watertower

Now I'm jealous! I keep telling my wife that someday this WILL happen.

That's something neither one of us will ever need to worry about, being friends with a Kennedy!

16. billwade

billwade

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

17. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

I personally Like my G30 pretty much AS IS. Only mods I did are a Lasermax, a Light for the rail, and some G21 Mags. 3 of those 27 rounders.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

18. MKSpangler

MKSpangler

I shoot a 27. Well over 10,000 rounds. It is a great gun and for carry the only one better is the 45. I like is and can hit an 8X10 sheet of paper at 25 yards every time.

19. plewi006

plewi006

for the gun that i cary i polish the interior parts and add a extended slide release