September 15th is a long ways away

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by freakshow10mm, Jul 27, 2007.

1. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Small game and bunnies don't open up until Sept 15. That's like a month and a half away. What in the world am I going to do until then?

My 22 (Marlin 60) is all sighted in and I have about 400rds left. Got 200rds of 20ga all ready to go. Plenty of 10mm 135gr handloads all set for the season.

Got all my hunting stuff ready. Anyone else excited?

2. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Yes, I am.

I plan to take at least one of my sons bunny hunting with their Marlin 60Y youth model .22lr and maybe I'll bring the Rem 870 to finish Bugs off.

You can always get some of those 22 metal spinner target and get your accuracy up.

3. romperstomper

romperstomper Totentance

Here in CT we have early squirrel starting on Sept. 1st and woodchuck/coyote season is open during the summer months. But its not that fun to be in the field in 90+ degrees with bees and mosquitos galore so I'll wait until the weather drops to 70 or so. Besides until there is at least one night of frost on the ground the bunnies and squirrels might be infested.

4. groundhawg

groundhawg

goose, teal and dove open here in ohio on sept 1.:banana:

5. Criphunter44

Criphunter44 ALPHA BEAR

You can grab you 10mm and look for feral hogs.:thumbsup:

6. freakshow10mm

When I lived in WI everything opened up on Spet 1.

Michigan is different, but we get a 16day deer gun season compared to the measly 9day WI season. MI also has capacity restrictions on semi-auto rifles and shotguns, except rimfire rifles. Takes some getting used to but it sure would be nice to grab a couple of 20rd AR15 mags and load them up for groundhogs and such.

7. freakshow10mm

No hogs where I live. Haven't seen any coyotes lately either. Bummer.

8. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Yeah, I am excited too.

Couple of shootable bucks on my game cams are making it tougher than it should be. One of those bucks got a pass from me on the last day of the '06-'07 season - I am very happy he is still around cause [eery voice] I know where heee sleeeeeeps [/eery voice].

Our deer bow season opens 9/8.

You can guarantee that I'll be in a tree come sun up looking for an early tag on a doe.

I stay ready for local hunts year round, but my biggest prep activities are going into a week long bow elk hunt in CO. A good deal left to do on that.

Hunt safe all!

9. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

Man you read my mind, I was thinking about Squirrel and Rabbit hunting last night. It made the night go by quick at work. I got all my gear ready as well as the dates set to take off from work.

10. noway

noway

I ran over a rabbit today, does that count as bunny hunting ;)

t minus 22 days and counting for me

11. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Not unles you swerved to hit it.

:supergrin:

12. freakshow10mm

Hunting season is tough. Trying to balance school, work, family (10mo son) and get hunting time in is a major ordeal.

13. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

I feel ya there man, I'm finished with schooling but working 6-10's a week is taking it's toll on me, That plus having every sunday off really doesn't help with the family life!

14. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

You've been gone too long and your memory has gotten "fuzzy" ;) The only WI seasons that open on Sept 1st are dove and local goose. Grouse, turkey, small game, and archery/deer all open on Sept 15th this year, same as the U.P. Can you hunt doves in MI yet?

I used to think only 9 days sucks too, but after 43 years of hunting each and every day of every season since 1964, believe me, 9 days is enough if you can swing it to hunt all 9 like I've always done. There's 10 more days of muzzleloader hunting immediately following those 9 days, and all tags, rules, regs, licenses are the same... except for weapon, of course. If you're into smokepoles, it's actually a 19 day season. I hunt the 1st 9 days with a pistol, and then switch to one of my 3 blackpowder rifles for 10 more. The nice part is, after those 9 days have passed, the woods are empty for the most part. In 11 years of muzzleloading, I've yet to encounter a single other hunter in those 1st 5 weekdays after the 9 day season is up.

Huh? You're kidding, right? If not, what are the limits? Heck, I hunt coyotes here with 30 rounders in my AR (all I've got is 30s) and I'm using my AK for my "back-up" deer gun this year, and if I can't find any 5 rounders by then, I'll be using a 30, as all I've got for my AK are 30s & 40s. My "primary" deer gun is a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, but it's always been backed up by a Rem 742 carbine in .308... for which I have one 10 round magazine (beats having spare 4 rndrs rattling around in my pocket with the extra ammo for the Ruger).

Do you have to "plug" your grouse guns too? That'd suck. I plug my duck gun (Beretta Pintail) because the feds demand it on migratory birds, but my two Rem 870s, Rem 1100, Winchester Model 12, Browning BPS, and Ithaca 37 grouse guns are all unemcumbered by mag limits.

15. sourdough44

sourdough44

I have a camp in the U.P. but am here in WI. They have tried to lengthen the WI gun deer season but it's hard to change tradition. I would be in favor of a longer season to spread out the pressure & make it easier to have time off over season. I hunt mostly in the U.P. though anyway. Since we can't change the gun season we have a longer M-L season and various doe hunts & tags.

16. freakshow10mm

Nope. The votes failed in 06. Seems like the hunters were swayed by the "it is a bird of peace" rather than "it is a rat with wings". Shame.

Cenerfire rifle and shotgun semi autos are restricted to 6rds total in the gun (read: 5rd mag +1 chambered). The warden in my area lets us use whatever capacity mags as long as there are only 6 in the chamber and magazine combined. This allows us to put 6rds in a 20rd mag and rack the action, so there is 1 in the chamber and 5 in the gun being legal. He doesn't make us go buy a 5rd mag and piss around with topping off the mag after chambering a round. Rimfire semi-autos do not have a restriction.

Handguns in shotgun zone (lower MI) are restricted to straight wall cartridges of .35 caliber or larger with a max of 9rd capacity in mag and chamber combined.

Semi-auto shotguns are restricted to 6rds total (5+1) so for upland game and such you are alright. It must be plugged to 3rds capacity if hunting migratory game birds like everywhere else.

Our deer gun season runs from Nov 15-Nov 30 and ML is from Dec 1st to Jan 1/2/3 depending on season. We have 16day gun and 30-some day ML plus can use crossbows during the 16day gun season if 12yo or older.

17. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Those capacity limits aren't too bad, as long as they allow a 20/30 rnd mag if you've only got 5 in it. As for semi-auto shotguns, unless it's been altered with a mag extension, the 5-in-the-tube limit is kinda redundant, as I'm not aware of any "typical sporting" semi-auto shotgun that can hold more than 5 in the tube.

As for doves, the PETAphiles tried that "bird of peace" crap here too, but were out-voted. One of the very few things I miss about IL is the dove hunting. They're legal to hunt now here in WI, but up north where I live, they're few and far between. The best dove hunting is over agricultural fields or open prairies, and those just don't exist up here in the heavily wooded north.

Although I'm just across the border from the U.P., and I know some great deer hunting spots there, I refuse to hunt deer in the U.P. as in order to use one of my handguns, as a non-resident, I need a CCW permit to carry a handgun in MI... even open carrying a large-bore hunting revolver or a TC Contender. Although I have both a FL & MN CCW permit, as a WI resident I'm S-O-L.

18. sourdough44

sourdough44

45colt, I have done study of the MI regs & I don't see how you need a CCW to hunt with a handgun in MI when you don't carry it concealed. As long as you comply with the transport laws & carry over your outermost garment. I've known people that carry without a worry & no CCW as long as it is open carry. If it's not your land you need to have a valid MI hunting license for a current season to carry a gun in the woods.

19. freakshow10mm

It is not a hunting regulation, it is state law. TRUST ME. I moved up here from WI. It is a FELONY for a non resident of MI to possess a handgun while in MI unless they have a CCW permit from their state of residence. If you do not have a CCW permit from your state of residence (IL and WI do not issue any) you CANNOT possess a handgun in MI. There are two exceptions: traveling THROUGH the state and if you are a LEO covered under LEOSA.

I will try to look up the statute but go to michigan.gov/dnr and search the FAQs for handgun stuff. It is in there.

Rfb45colt, technically the law states that I would need a 5rd mag to be legal but the local warden's interpretation of the law says that as long as the gun is holding six rounds at a time, he don't care.

The shotgun thing is a big whoopie. The thing that sucks is AR15 for coyote, fox, bobcat, groundhogs.

20. freakshow10mm

Here ya go:

LINK HERE

FROM LINK