close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

separation anxiety...

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by testosterone, Aug 28, 2004.

1. testosterone

testosterone

do your dogs suffer from this? I was talking to my vet about my dog and how he has recently been tearing stuff apart (pillows, blankets...) and crys and howles as soon as i put him in his run so that i can go to work. i figured that he would adapt to the run but its been almost 3 to 4 weeks and he still crys and howles...
    doc told me that there are numerous medicaitons out there that can help with this anxiety...do any of you guys give meds to your dogs?

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Dude,
    GET A TRAINER!!
    Hope this helps

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

One of my cats cries after his people when they leave but he has not torn anything up...yet...

Never had any problems with my dogs.

4. testosterone

testosterone

ive been researching a bunch of different trainers. I have it narrowed down to 3 different ones.
    My vet did tell me that a trainer might have some troubles dealing with seperation anxiety as its more of a behavioral problem..

5. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Behavioral problems are what good trainers deal with. ;)
    If you hire a trainer that says they cant help you with this thank them for their time and find someone else.
    Ok, Test, forget the run, it useless for you. By your dog an airline type plastic crate and crate train him for the next 4-6 months. Buy one large enough that he will not grow out of it by then. BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO PUT THE DOG IN THE CRATE pm me and I will walk you thru it. After 20-30 minutes your dog will love being there ;)
    Money back guarantee ;f

6. testosterone

testosterone

it took 2 days to build that run lol..i will take your advice and go buy a crate on sunday when i am off of work. is it ok to leave the dog in a crate for extended periods of time. my work schedule varies..sometimes i work 5hrs a day and sometimes 11hrs a day. doggy also has a great habit of tipping his water dish so i would hate for him to be w/o water for that long of a period.

7. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Test,
    11 hours is pushing it, if it's feasible look into a dog walker (maybe a responsible teen or elderly person near you) service. Depending on the dogs age of course, less than 6 months you NEED to have someone come by.
    As far as water get one of these [​IMG] and hook it on to the outside of the cage. Dab a little peanut butter on the tip after we get the dog acclimated to the cage and he will learn to drink from it in no time.
    Separation anxiety is a tough one and sometimes its not totally curable but we can certainly improve it...

8. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

start reading here
    this page has some excellent info

9. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

you don't have a GSD by chance, do you???

my cousin had one who is prolly 8 yrs. old, and freaks out if she showers with the door closed. great dog overall, but when she feels bad for going to work in the morning, hot damn!

my shepherd only has anxiety when she is locked up in a cage. if i leave her in the house, she is generally okay (provided i don't give her anything to chew/screw around with). once in a while she'll poop in the basement, but since i have cement floors, i don't care TOO much. i've alleviated that for the past week or so by making sure she doesn't eat or drink a lot before i go to work...i mainly feed her at night now.

at any rate, find a way to cure this fast, because you don't want to deal with it for the next 10 yrs.

i have a rescue pup, and shes been a lot to deal with...but shes worth it...and i'm sure your baby is too!!!!

10. testosterone

testosterone

he is a sheppard/pit mix from what they told me at the shelter. I guess he has seen some rough days when he was a pup. he was brought back to the spca 2x so he must have been too much for everyone else to handle. I noticed whenever i raise my hand he must throws himself to the floor, rolls over and pees...so Im sure he was abused. gonna go get a crate tommorow and start him off in it at nite when i am home and then go from there.
    thanks for the advice everyone

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Yep, somebody has hit him before :(

Just be patient with him, he will love you for it in time ;)

Part of his problem may stem from being left without food/water before. A lot of times people who physically abuse animals neglect to feed/water them too. He may fear you won't return to replenish his bowls? Just an idea...

12. Bill73

Bill73

A different separation problem.

We got Cassie, a GSD, from a rescue group nine months ago. She has bonded very well. Three months ago we left her in the yard from 6 a.m. until 8:45 p.m. We went to Dallas to meet our daughter on her return from Europe. She had a 3.5 lay over in her continuing flight. Our son was to look in on Cassie during the day, see she had water and feed her at the right time. Cassie likes him and enjoys his visits.

Our son said he came three times that day and she hadn't drank, or eaten anything. She didn't greet him as she always had before. Cassie just wanted in the house, and would get between our bed and the wall. His last trip over was about 6 p.m.. When he tried to be friendly and play with her she just laid with her chin between her paws and growled at him. When he said "outside" she went reluctantly. When we got home she ate us up and relished her food and water.

We are going out of state for eight days. We took her to the trainer we used for private lessons and left her all day (a place that offers training, day care, boarding, etc.). She recognized the place and seemed satisfied when we drove off. They said she did fine. The next week we took her for an overnight, the first she had been away from us for that long. When we picked her up she whined, wouldn't quit rubbing against us and couldn't wait to leave (my wife doesn't act like that when I come home). I plan to take her again, before we leave, for a two day stay.

I know we will worry while we are gone. Is this the way to get her used to our absence? Has anyone else had luck with long periods of separation?

Thanks for any advice!