Senior dog owners weigh in

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Sharkey, Jan 25, 2020.

1. manfred the wonder d

manfred the wonder d

Tell that to my friend's grandaughter.

2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

How about you do that and get a life

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimcorbin, Rotn1, pgg00 and 3 others like this.

3. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

my almost deaf but healthy thirteen year old was very irritated with the new 8 week old puppy i brought home. It took many months of bickering, but one year later they are best of friends. It works, but I will try to do it by year 7 or 8 next time.

Sharkey and Just_plinking like this.
  4. Berto

Berto woo woo

My 13yr old high capacity assault dog has the same issue. I noticed it's made him very fussy. At first I thought it was the meds he takes for heart, joint pain and shot ACLs, but I suspect he going deaf.

pgg00 likes this.
  5. Sharkey

Sharkey

Well I was just gonna ignore your prior comment but since you are persistent, you would know a "pit bull" does not exist as a breed. If you wanna be technical (don't know why), I own a Mixed breed that is part American Stratfordshire Terrier

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

jimcorbin, Rotn1 and pgg00 like this.
  6. Sharkey

Sharkey

Yeah my only concern is that the pup might grow up to be a true *itch. Lela is a lot of great things but an alpha female she is not. I heard getting two females is not a great thing but hoping a pup might be a bit easier. We have had Lela since she was about 16weeks and never had an issue with her. I couldn't get her to misbehave if I wanted her to.
    Oh and to make some people upset, ALL my dogs will be a female pit rescue.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

7. BengalBacker

BengalBacker

If you do decide to get another dog, maybe look for an older rescue dog that isn't likely to be adopted since most people want pups. That way you're helping 2 dogs that really need help.

Rotn1 and Sharkey like this.
  8. Zonny

Zonny

I'll never have two females together again. I have miniature schnauzers. Not exactly a physically strong breed but these two have had some pretty ferocious battles. They're pretty old now but the younger years had a few challenges.

jimcorbin, Rotn1 and Maine like this.
  9. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

That's good advice, and not limited to dogs.

jimcorbin, Rotn1 and Maine like this.
  10. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

i have a 12 year old terrier. Other than a white face now, she hasn't changed a bit. She is a very slender dog, and still has great muscle definition and can jump shoulder high. The white face and her penchant for sleeping late every morning these days are the only things that tell her age.

Rotn1 and orangejeep06 like this.
  11. pstmstr

pstmstr

[​IMG]

This guy is 13 and still pretty spry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

My older boy, as seen in my pic, is 12 and we have a 5 YO cocker as well. The 5 YO keeps my 12 YO young. They play and keep each other company, although the older one likes teasing the younger one...

Rotn1 and orangejeep06 like this.
  13. CC Glock

CC Glock

This beautiful girl will be 15 next month. I have had her since she was 6 weeks old. Her hearing and sight has started diminishing in the last 2 years. We introduced a Chihuahua / Yorkie puppy and it made a huge difference. She's better off now than she as 2 years ago. IMG_8270.jpg

14. Maine

Maine

I raised a deaf dog from the age of 12 weeks until she was 12 years old. She taught my fancy hearing dog everything he knows today. She will be fine without the hearing sense. I vote for getting another puppy.

Rotn1, NoStress and orangejeep06 like this.
  15. NoStress

NoStress

Good advice. There is something about some folks I just don't like and animals are no different. She might really like a particular dog and be indifferent or dislike the other ones.

Sharkey and Rotn1 like this.
  16. Rotn1

Rotn1

Had the same issue with two female Rotties. One aging...... The other trying to take over as Alpha....... Not fun.

17. Sharkey

Sharkey

Did you get the second one as an adult or as a pup? Dang *itches, whacha gonna do?

Rotn1 likes this.
  18. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

My Pomeranian turned 15 this past November. He is still in good health and has plenty of energy during walks, but he has been sleeping more during the day over the past couple of years. He had his annual checkup and shots in December, and all is well so far.

Maine likes this.
  19. Rotn1

Rotn1

Our male died prematurely leaving us with one 7 YO female.
    We rescued what I estimated as a 4 - 5 month old female out of the back of a patrol car in Pittsburgh.

Only little issues at first, if I had to correct the younger one of if I raised my voice at the younger one, the older gal would take that as an invitation to lower the hammer.... sort of pile on.
    Later on when the young one was fully mature and the old gal was just starting to show signs of age the young one would regularly challenge the old gal.
    Most altercations were just sparring, posturing, fluff and feathers. Later however when the younger one had figured out she was stronger there were a couple of ugly altercations. Nipped ears and bloody noses.
    They say never get in between two dogs fighting........ I did and thankfully still have all my parts. They don’t mean to get you, but they are so focused and in the moment with their heads slashing.

Sorry for the long answer.

I’m getting another Rottie in April ...... at which point I will have two males.

I think I could have handled things better / differently. For sure the girls are very serious about their roles and positions.

I don’t think my case is the normal outcome and most of the time they got along fine.

59F7E1C7-9D58-4F01-A8E7-0C52D6E09443.jpeg

77E5C009-3508-4B3C-AE55-478C33A16AD9.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Sharkey likes this.