Sending the Slide Home with the Release

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by hearsedriver, Apr 28, 2012.

1. hearsedriver

hearsedriver

Being a new Glock owner, I wanted to ask if it is OK to just slam the slide home with the slide release button. I typically use a "slingshot" type release by grabbing the rear of the slide to sned it home.

2. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

You will get mixed opinions on this topic. I have used the extended slide lock/release since 03 with no issues. Some prefer to "Power Stroke".
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izKoMROFTZI"][/ame]

:50cal:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

3. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Slingshot method. Always works.

:thumbsup:

4. GTS197

GTS197

It's a slide lock...not a slide release. Using the lock to release robs the spring of about a quarter inch of tension.

That being said, it won't hurt anything. The 'slingshot' method, which in some circles is considered acceptable, should be replaced with a firm over the top of the slide grip which uses the the palm of your hand and your four fingers. This is a positive way to have a firm grip on the slide when you pull it back and release it, with your hand continuing toward your chest, thus eliminating the possiblitity of the slide being ridden forward. Let the spring do the work.

5. MikeG36

MikeG36 Have Gun Will Travel

Correction:
    Although advised against this in the Armorer's course as well as in LEO and defensive handgun training courses - I have attended, the Glock operator's manual page 23 does state that the slide stop lever can be used for this purpose.

Interesting story: One of the guys in my Glock Armorers course (very large agency & this was his fourth recertification) said that he had a couple slide stop notches round off over the years due to thumbing the slide stop. This resulted in the slide not locking open after the last round.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

{{citation needed}}

7. hearsedriver

hearsedriver

Ok Thanks. I figured it was probably not a good idea but, I see alot of people doing it on youtube. I will continue my tried and true method.

8. Radian

Radian

i use the release in matches because its faster. I would guess I have done this 5000 times during live fire, maybe more. No issues. probably 10,000 more on reload drills.

pick something and make it muscle memory, that's what matters.

9. up1911fan

up1911fan

I alway's use the slide release when reloading. A lot faster than power stroking the slide.

10. PM720

PM720

According to Glock it's called the Slide Stop Lever. They are cheap to replace so do whatever floats your boat!

Scott

11. MikeG36

MikeG36 Have Gun Will Travel

It was stated by the instructor in my Armorer's class. He stated that you should not use the slide stop to recharge the pistol as a) the spring tension will be less than if the slide is fully moved rearward and b) it could result in premature wear.

The Glock Armorer's manual page 81 - Loading - lists only the overhand method of loading. "Using the overhand method, pull the slide fully rearward and release."

However, I checked the owners manual that came with my Glock and on page 23 it states that either the overhand method or slide stop lever can be used to charge the weapon. So.... I guess I take that back. Glock does not - not recommend using the slide stop lever to load the pistol. :)

12. PM720

PM720

In my Armorers course the MAIN reason stated for using the overhand method was loss of fine motor skills in a combat situation. I have used both with no issues.

Sco

13. captcurly

captcurly

It is a matter of choice and what works for you. I been using the slide stop since 1988 because I am faster with it.

14. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I use the extended slide stop lever too, because I didn't realize until recently that you can sling shot the slide. Since I use mine as a range weapon right now, I even release it sometimes with my left hand when I am ready to fire. Probably bad practice, but its what works for me.

15. GThirtyTwo

GThirtyTwo Amor patriae

...........but it works fine none the less.

16. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I've always used the release and it's never been an issue for me.

17. RS0530

RS0530

I was taught by my firearms instructor that if my Glock couldn't handle releasing the slide with the slide stop lever or by pulling it back and releasing it, then I should find another weapon.

The time to do it is during practice so that you'll know there wont be a problem doing it under duress.

18. demented

demented

RSO530, fully agree. If a Glock or any other pistols isn't tough enough to allow dropping the slide stop, then I don't need it.

19. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Funny that Kahr does.

20. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Glock calls it the slide stop lever because it stops the slide on last round nothing more! Also the manual states you can use the lever or charge the slide back never does it say you can't use the lever also the part is ten ****ing bucks get over it. Monkey see monkey say monkey do on this forum and it's all redundant