Senator Graham Drops Pre-Trial Dismissal

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by BigBluefish, Jan 19, 2020.

1. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Well, now... Who didn't see that coming?

So, are Republicans:

1. Hoping to call witnesses (like the Bidens) and expose the Democrats; or

2. Throwing Trump under the bus?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gr...nt-trial-warns-dems-against-calling-witnesses

Hard to imagine the GOP coming up with enough RINO votes to convict, but I've learned to never underestimate the ability of the Republicans to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I think it simply comes down to whether the GOP Senators are loyal to the American People, or loyal to The Swamp.

2. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Sheepdog

If witnesses are called it would embarrass many Republican senators if the trial becomes lengthy and testimony goes into a deep dive.

McCain was corrupt as hell with payola. But he's dead thank god.

McCain's friend Senator Lindsay Graham has been taking foreign kickbacks for years and years. He would not want a witness to testify that then Senator Joe Biden was on the take as were many other senators which could expose a bunch of Republicans as well.

aircarver, Cambo, NMG26 and 4 others like this.

3. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

It does seem like a real conundrum talking about prosecuting paybacks, favors and such in a place so FULL of crooked grifters! Who could point a finger without having a bunch pointed back at them?

4. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

If they dismiss it right away, a lot of Senators wouldn't get their chance to grandstand and 'own' witnesses on Youtube. That's why there aren't enough Republican votes for it.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Probably true. The impeachment process, start to finish, will kill Democrats and boost Republicans, including Trump. They all want a piece of the action for their next campaign.

G19Tony likes this.
  6. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Graham, like anyone with a brain who has been paying attention, knows that the Republicans don't have the 51 votes necessary to dismiss. At least 4 Republican Senators have already said they would vote no on that. The only thing that matters is how they will vote in the trial.

Will Beararms, CAcop and jr24 like this.
  7. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

The other "only other thing" should be if those half-wits vote poorly in the trial that their constituents are paying attention when their re-election vote comes around. I really think we've had enough of Murkowsky, Romney, Collins and ? throwing off republican voting.

Will Beararms and nitesite10mm like this.
  8. B C

B C

They haven't stood up for the President on anything else. I'm not expecting them to now.

9. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

? = Ben Sasse

10. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Well, that's the point: they OUGHT TO have had the (#*@! votes to dismiss this. The trial is going to be a fiasco. The Dems will call witnesses, even Bolton, and the GOP will call no one of consequence. And I have zero confidence that Murkowski, Collins, Romney & Sasse are the only Republicans who are going to go over to the Democrats. Oh, Trump may avoid conviction by 4 or 5 votes. But the damage to his Presidency, and the Country in the long run (heck, as soon as 2020, perhaps) will be devastating.

The problem with many in the GOP is that they believe that if they turn on Trump, they'll pick up some independents and the "Never Trumpers" and that the rest of Trump's supporters will still support them because, at least, they aren't Democrats. In this they are gravely mistaken. If they turn on Trump, they will lose the Congress, the Presidency and the Country forever.

I don't think that most of them really care.

11. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

They gave him 2 Supreme Court justices. McConnell dropped the 2/3 rule. Every Republican voted to confirm Gorsuch. Every Republican except Murkowski (who voted present) and Daines (who decided it was more important to attend a wedding than to vote) voted to confirm Kavanaugh.

12. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Trump won’t even come close to being convicted. This entire impeachment fiasco will be the best gift ever to Republicans in the 2020 elections providing they don’t blow it.

Will Beararms likes this.
  13. Tommy Gunz

Tommy Gunz

How much dirty laundry are they all willing to air out?

Lt. Donn and NMG26 like this.
  14. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

We've tried again and again to primary Graham, but the rules (of course!) favor the incumbent. The Republican primary here in S.C. is open, anybody can vote, and the State party refuses to change that. Graham and McCain had their fingers (or more!) in the Ukraine.

nitesite10mm likes this.
  15. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

Murkowsky, Romney, and Collins will vote with the democrats. They are scum. Romney has done nothing but damage to America.

Will Beararms and Cambo like this.
  16. teeceetx

teeceetx

Republicans, if given enough rope, will hang Trump from the nearest tree. I have a much lower opinion of Republican's than I do Democrap's. The Democrap's stick together and get their agenda done. The Republican's are fickle, and without any balls. They talk up a storm, and actually do absolutely nothing. Republican's once had both Houses of Congress, and managed to do ZERO for the country! Their smug arrogance is sickening.

Hartford and Will Beararms like this.
  17. NMG26

NMG26

It's not even a real trial. A real trial would be settled quickly. It is a show of the inadequacy of the present system. I'm looking forward to the Chief Justice weighing in.

18. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

What a pessimistic lot!

The Senate wants this over as quickly as possible, and political blackmail works both ways!

Trump holds all of the cards and knows the truth, which can and will be revealed, at the right time.

NMG26 likes this.
  19. evlbruce

evlbruce

Always expect the worst from Lindsey.

20. NMG26

NMG26

The breastplate of righteousness is his strength..... A metaphysical Bible analogy.