Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
13,476 Posts
Depends on your budget. For out of the box ready to go I'd say the M2. The M4 needs some mods (like a full length mag tube and the required 922r parts) but assuming that you are willing to do that its also a viable option.

Never used a 1301 and from what I've seen of the Versamax among my friends in the duck blind I'd pass.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
My Thoughts.
I went years ago with a Remington 11-87P (police) which apparently are still being made and are available.
I think you should spec-out what you want, regardless of brand/model first. For me it was:
-18.5" barrel
-option of pistol gripped stock, although I've gone with the straight stock in the end.
-side-saddle capability
-sling options/capability
-12 gauge
-means to mount a light
-ghost ring sights (rifle sights an alternative)
-means for extended mag capacity (6-round)

I might have gone with the Benelli but I had no experience with the brand and manual of arms. Getting an extension for the mag tube was too complicated at the time, also. Now, I understand there are 922R compliant options readily available, however.

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
I'm a Benelli guy, so the M2 would be my first recommendation(or nice used M1). The M4 simply doesn't offer enough benefits to justify the extra cost.
The 1301 is a nice gun as well, but without the track record of the Benelli.
Remington isn't even on my radar.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Deals pop up for the 1301 at $799 pretty frequently. You would need to add a mag tube which would be an additional $150, but still a very good, reasonably priced HD gun.

The Remington is very easy on the shoulder, but the longer barrel makes it less desirable for HD. Also questionable qc.

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
M4
M2
Versamax

All except the VM have 922r compliance issues, so even the M2 and 1301 need to have a few US parts added with a mag tube when you go over 5 rounds. The VM is soft shooting an a great design, but has the most QC issues that need to be addressed.

IMHO, an M2 with a tube (plus a US follower and lifter) is the best option for most.

Reactions: ronin.45

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The M2 is where its at. Super reliable, huge after market support.

The 1301 has problems where you can release shells behind the lifter and completely lock up the action. Not good on a combat shotgun Its takes some aftermarket parts to fix that HUGE glaring mistake on that gun.

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts

The 1301 has problems where you can release shells behind the lifter and completely lock up the action. Not good on a combat shotgun Its takes some aftermarket parts to fix that HUGE glaring mistake on that gun.
I have seen more than one person accidentally dump a full tube on a 1301. A student chipped a tooth when the rim of a shell on the involuntary mag dump hit her in the mouth.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
It's an easy fix.

s

·
Huge Member
11,691 Posts
Saiga 12 or maybe a VEPR 12

Reactions: silentpoet

·
Huge Member
11,691 Posts
Mag fed shotguns are not valid choices for HD because they can't really be kept loaded. Plastic shells get smashed when kept under spring pressure like that for any length of time.
You could buy special all brass shells if you really wanted to, but few would go that route.
I didn't know that. That doesn't happen with shells under spring tension in a tube fed?

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
I didn't know that. That doesn't happen with shells under spring tension in a tube fed?
Shotgun shells, like any tube, are much stronger from end to end than from side to side.
For a demonstration, tape a handful of drinking straws together. If you stand them on end they can support a couple hundred pounds. If you lay them sideways they squish right down to the floor.
The plastic hulls ho from round to oval after being squeezed for a while. Oval shells don't feed into a round chamber very well.

·
Huge Member
11,691 Posts
Shotgun shells, like any tube, are much stronger from end to end than from side to side.
For a demonstration, tape a handful of drinking straws together. If you stand them on end they can support a couple hundred pounds. If you lay them sideways they squish right down to the floor.
The plastic hulls ho from round to oval after being squeezed for a while. Oval shells don't feed into a round chamber very well.
Well, looking at my Saiga mags and drums it appears that all the pressure on the shells is on the rear third/brass section. The front of the shells seem to be not touching one another. Furthermore, the side walls of the mag seems to me to keep the shells in check side to side should they compress but it doesn't look like they do.

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
Well, looking at my Saiga mags and drums it appears that all the pressure on the shells is on the rear third/brass section. The front of the shells seem to be not touching one another. Furthermore, the side walls of the mag seems to me to keep the shells in check side to side should they compress but it doesn't look like they do.
We have several guys running Saigas and Veprs in competition. They have had issues with mags left loaded between matches. On hot days it can even happen faster. The warm plastic can deform in 15-20minutes if you lay a loaded mag in the sun on a table.

·
Huge Member
11,691 Posts
We have several guys running Saigas and Veprs in competition. They have had issues with mags left loaded between matches. On hot days it can even happen faster. The warm plastic can deform in 15-20minutes if you lay a loaded mag in the sun on a table.
Thank for the heads up on this. I keep my Saiga and mags in a cool dark basement so don't have an issue so far. I only keep a couple mags loaded but I am going keep a close watch on them in the future

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have a mag-fed shotgun, but would have thought it the "bees knees" for HD before these posts. Filed away as good to know info!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
No love for the Mossberg 930 SPX?
I have one and had the usual issue out of the box with cheap Wall mart low brass bird shot. But after break in of 50 rounds of 00 and # 4 buckshot, which I probably should have started with, it has had no problems what so ever . I have even shot clays with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts