Glock Talk banner

Semi-Auto Firearms Are Now Outlawed...

16281 Views 301 Replies 152 Participants Last post by  Gray Dood
or heavily regulated in the alternative universe of this thread. Assume that for whatever reason, you wake up and your AR, AK, Glock, SIG, Model X, that can run semi-auto AND hi-capacity is no longer a legal option. (NOT trying to get into a "cold dead fingers" argument).

What would you pick as a defensive firearm? And why?

Remember, no semi AND hi-capacity.

Discuss...:)
Reactions: C. MYERS and BillyB
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
9,607 Posts
I don’t own any semi auto long guns anyway. So bolt action rifles and pump or break open shotguns are fine by me.

Handguns would be tougher. I have my trusty S&W 686-5, probably pick up a Ruger GP100 and SP101. I really like shooting GSSF, it’s my main reason for owning a Glock, that would be what I would really miss.

· Registered
9,607 Posts
I'll give you the P220 (8 rounds IIRC), so call anything over 8 as "hi-cap".

What I'm after is twofold. Seeing if I missed something, and seeing what others would choose if current "modern" arms weren't an option. Just mental bubble gum basically. Nothing deeper than that. :)
In that case. Any Glock that would allow me to compete in GSSF and a single stack 9mm for ccw when needed.

· Registered
9,607 Posts
Two points.

One
I get why some do not want to play. But the fact remains, besides paper work changes..registration, no private sales ect... the only proposals that seem to be brought up are semi auto and magazine capacity bans. Reinstatement of the AWB of 94 gets brought up once and a while.

Two
The slippery slope. If they get semi autos and mags they won’t stop there. True, I agree they will not stop trying. But would they succeed? But the fact remains, even terribly strict countries allow some form of gun ownership. And they don’t even have a 2nd amendment.

· Registered
9,607 Posts
It's beside the point, the time for shooting people is long before you literally get to no private citizen is ever under any circumstance allowed to own any gun.

If you'd like, go ahead and start another thread on the topic and we can discuss it ther
It’s not besides the point.
Are you saying that we couldn’t lose certain firearms rights, I think we all ready have. Plus gotten a lot back in my lifetime.

I just get sick of the same tire old cliches.
And revolution talk. LOL. most of you guys are afraid to confront a belligerent drunk at a gas station.:supergrin:

· Registered
9,607 Posts
Dude, there are about 120 million gun owners in this country. Even if just 1% revolted against gun confiscation, that is 1.2 million guns pointed at the heads of politicians, police and military.

S&W
Hope we never find out.

My guess is if there was another AWB or even if say all of a sudden no semi autos legal.
At the very most people would get more politicaly active. The rest would be labeled crack pots and they would be stomped out, wouldn’t stand a chance.

· Registered
9,607 Posts
While it is true that there are only a few countries that absolutely ban civilian ownership of guns, far more have such restrictive policies that the majority of civilians can't qualify to own a gun. In many countries, getting a permit to own a firearm is like trying to get concealed carry permit in Los Angeles or New York. Ain't gonna happen for the average citizen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_of_gun_laws_by_nation
Like I said,highly restricted yes, not a complete ban. Legitimate question, what countries have complete bans? I’m sure there are a few.

Also do those countries have anything close to the 2nd amendment?

· Registered
9,607 Posts
I never said anything about carry.

I guess you haven't heard of "May Issue" laws for possession, eh?
Got it, but I still think your grasping. You failed to answer a question, its ok to be wrong sometimes.
Yes some places you have a very low chance of firearm ownership, not 0%, but I could be wrong. Yes I read Wikipedia to. And those places don't have anything close to the 2nd amendment.

Did some of those countries go down a "slippery slope" or were their gun laws always highly restrictive. do a little more research, besides wiki and get back to me.

"What is a may issue law?
The law typically states that a granting authority "may issue" a permit if various criteria are met, or that the permit applicant must have "good cause" (or similar) to carry a concealed weapon"

http://www.concealedcarryclass.net/what-is-the-difference-between-shall-issue-and-may-issue/

· Registered
9,607 Posts
Two points.

One
I get why some do not want to play. But the fact remains, besides paper work changes..registration, no private sales ect... the only proposals that seem to be brought up are semi auto and magazine capacity bans. Reinstatement of the AWB of 94 gets brought up once and a while.

Two
The slippery slope. If they get semi autos and mags they won’t stop there. True, I agree they will not stop trying. But would they succeed? But the fact remains, even terribly strict countries allow some form of gun ownership. And they don’t even have a 2nd amendment.
Are you just making stuff up as you go along?

Plenty of countries do not allow any firearm ownership.

And that's beside the point
just to recap, what was I making up?

We gun owners need to come up with something better than the easily debatable tired old clichés.

· Registered
9,607 Posts
The problem is, the Second Amendment is not a right to a firearm - it is a right to a capability. The capability of American citizens to provide their personal security and collectively keep secure their freedoms. Can't do that with a tightly government regulated limited allowance to a low capacity sporting arm. Gun control is not about public safety - it is all about taking "THE CAPABILITY".

It effectively repeals the Second Amendment.
Not sure what that has to do with what part of my post was I making up?
I was speaking to the slippery slope argument. As long as their is Pro and Anti gun groups its more like peaks and valleys.

Can't do that with a tightly government regulated limited allowance to a low capacity sporting arm.
It effectively repeals the Second Amendment.
What about NFA of 1934, 1986... did that effectively repeal the 2nd,
So having a high capacity military style arm vs a low capacity sporting arm makes you better able to secure your freedom? Revolution? , LOL. About as likely as the zombie apocalypse with less chance of survival.

· Registered
9,607 Posts
We

We're at the tipping point - all military weaponry being illegal, "the capability" is still there through citizen ownership of semi-automatic rifles and standard full capacity magazines. Outlaw them and the Second Amendment is nothing but foolish words to fool fools.
Pure fantasy. Both the capability part and the could happen part.

I mean you might be able to rally a few crazy ranchers like the brainiacs that took over the bird sanctuary. Or maybe get a hold of branch dividian type wack jobs. :crazy:But as long as people have fast food and smart phones the revolution is **** out of luck.:animlol:

· Registered
9,607 Posts
That's the beauty of a constitutional right, your opinion of how much American gun owners need it, or how effective the right is, is as irrelevant as David Dude's opinion as to whether Blacks should have the right to vote.
If "THE CAPABILITY" didn't scare the S*** outta progressives - they wouldn't be in such a frenzy to take semi-autos & standard magazines.
They can not be surrendered. Evidently gun owners in NY & CT agree with my opinion, not yours.
what are you talking about. I don't want anymore restrictions. And No, I don't think your perceived capability is the reason why they want to take them at all.

The problem is, the Second Amendment is not a right to a firearm - it is a right to a capability.
Really, A lot of constitutional scholars on GT. Talk about irrelevant opinions...

Sorry, I think the belief in successful armed revolution in a modern first World country is about as realistic as most of these crazy conspiracy theories and even less realistic than the zombie apocalypse or EOTWAWKI scenarios.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.