close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

selling a gun....TX

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by PartyBible, Feb 22, 2010.

1. PartyBible

PartyBible

I bought a g19 new from a gun shop in Tx. What is required for me to sell it? Do I need an FFL to transfer the firearm to another owner?

2. TexasNativeDRJH

TexasNativeDRJH 5th Generation

You dont need anything but a bill of sale with the serial number that you both sign can cover your rear if anything ever happened with that gun

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

In Texas you do not have to do ANY PAPERWORK at all.
    You CAN do any paperwork, like a bill of sale, that you want but it's not legally required.

I have bought and sold quite a few guns face to face. I have no idea who the other party is and they have no idea who I am.
    Just a couple weeks ago I bought a nice S&W Model ten from an individual. Gave him the money, he gave me the gun. Perfectly legal.
    That's called ending the paper trail. I love to end the paper trail on a gun.:)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  4. mixflip

mixflip

Every state is different. Check your local PD website since it should have rock solid clear info on firearms sales.

My state requires nothing at all with face to face sales but in my county (Las Vegas only) we have to register all new purchase handguns with Metro within 30 days I think it is? Yes it sucks.

If you get caught selling a gun to a felon or an out of state person or a mentally ill person, or a person who has a restraining order...obviously if something happens and your name shows up as the last registered owner, things can get ugly. A signed bill of sale may help you a little or alot? better than nothing I say.

If anything its gonna waste your time and money if you end up going to court for what ever reason the a-hole uses your old gun in a crime, that he never registered.

Meeting at a Metro PD substation and whatching the new owner actually register your gun into his name is a comforting feeling as far as CYA goes.

If the buyer doesnt like the idea of signing a bill of sale that states he is legal and of sound mind and the gun is not stolen, then he has the right to just move on and so do you. Not needed but not a bad idea either.

5. jp3975

jp3975

Put an ad in the paper and sell.

6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

You have no way to know or find out a buyer's background. You couldn't check out the buyer if you wanted to.
    If I was a criminal I'd sign a BOS or anything the seller wanted. Wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on.
    If I wanted, I could make up a legal looking, signed BOS for every unpapered gun I've bought or sold, again, it wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on.

In any case, this is what happens when the gun you bought from a FFL and sold is used in a crime.
    The LEO calls and tells you a gun you bought from a FFL was used to kill someone.
    (They tracked me half way across the US.)

I simply said I sold the gun (legally) and I have no idea where the gun went.

Detective said, Thank you for your time.

The end.

Just follow the laws in your location and don't worry about it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  7. madecov

madecov book em' Danno

In Texas as long as the sale is within the state borders nothing is required.
    If you plan to ship it out of state then you will need an FFL

8. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Texas folks sell guns at garage sales all the time. Don't sweat it.

9. PartyBible

PartyBible

Thanks for the responses folks

10. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

If you sell it to me for $250, you will have piece of mind that it went to a good home. :supergrin:

I've known a few people that ask to see a CHL, that way they know the person isn't a felon. But as stated above, it's not required.

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

One night I bought a HKP9S in a McDonalds parking lot in Houston.
    All I know about the seller is he had several very nice guns in his trunk and he showed me a Houston Police badge (no names). All he knew about me is I had a pilot's uniform on.

I've still got the gun.:)

If you put your thumb over your name and address, IMO, showing or asking to see a CHL or DL probably isn't a bad idea. A friend does that. All the buyer/seller knows about him is he had the license with his picture on it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  12. Birdman23

Birdman23

all you need is a person with money. I have a friend who only buys from people in texas because he wants a "paperless gun" ( no trace of his ownership)