Sell my G17 gen 5 for a G45?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bitcoin, Jan 10, 2020.

1. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

The 17 is iconic. Keep it.

the 45 are easier to carry, but neither are designed to CCW.

everyone should own 1 17. Mine is a gen 2.

ejjeff, Quade and Pack26 like this.
  2. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I'd rather have the 17 but I hate the cut out prolly as much as anyone who really, really, really, really, really, really hates the cut out. If I couldn't deal with the cut out, I'd get a 17 that didn't have it before I went with a G45, but that's just me. YtocutoutornottocutoutthatisthequestionMMV

bitcoin and AdamRodgers like this.

3. seang23or32

seang23or32

I had the 45 and liked it very much, before you decide try the 19.5 FS which does not have the front grip cut out. I noticed that when I first picked up/aimed the 45 the longer grip allowed the web of my strong hand to leave a gap at the top and I would have to adjust. The shorter grip on the 19 with the flared magwell seems to really lock my hand into where it is supposed to be.

OP, you mentioned you have large hands so maybe the above advice does not apply but you did say that you shoot your 26 better/faster than the 17. Maybe the issue is the grip is too large, not the slide.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    jamppp likes this.
  4. tango44

tango44

I got rid of my 17 because my G19X is the best Glock that I ever had.
    Waiting for taxes money to get a 45MOS.

glocker1 and AdamRodgers like this.
  5. R13

R13 Glocks are your friend

D7F5C4E3-B508-4B6C-AFA4-DC8117312DB3.jpeg Get the G45 , you won’t regret it. Best Glock IMHO. If I could only have one pistol, this would be it.

6. RPMSTL

RPMSTL

Everyone likes different things.

I have many Glocks as well. 19,17,34,45,etc,etc.

I find the 17 to be the overall best shooter. Great balance and recoil impulse.

I do not have the cut-out, so if that is your main concern, get rid of it.

7. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Sounds like neither 17 or 45 fit the bill and will see more time behind a safe door.

jamppp and AdamRodgers like this.
  8. cc1970

cc1970

Keep 17 and buy G-45

AdamRodgers likes this.
  9. skyfall

skyfall

I have two G45's if my opinion counts.My favorite Glock of all models/calibers.I really,really like a G45,for me,it does everything I need.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  10. Couch000

Couch000

I feel your pain OP. I shot both the 17.5 MOS and 45 (non-MOS) and tended to shoot the 17.5 MOS a little better than the 45. I prefer shorter slides and longer frames. My Sig P320s have carry grips and I love the way they feel. That being said, what made me get the 17 was that it was MOS and I could add a RDS in the future. The 45 didn't have a MOS version then. I also thought about tricking out the 17.5 MOS for competition shooting but never did a thing to it except night sights. LOL

Fast forward about 6-9 months and I'm selling my 17.5 MOS and just bought a G45 MOS. I just think the 45 MOS checks all the boxes that I'm looking for at this point.

I never had to deal with the cutout and definitely wouldn't want that so there's that too.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  11. skyfall

skyfall

Shoot a G45 and you will buy one,there is a difference.

glocker1 likes this.
  12. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

My G17 is now in a Mini Roni chassis......awesome setup with folding brace and red dot. Takes all 17 round and up mags. Perfect PDW in 9mm and fits in backpack. Just re-purpose your 17.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  13. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

I think the G45 is one of the best Glocks made, and I prefer it hands down over the G17.

With that, I do still own one G17 so I would keep the 17 and get a G45.

TXPO

AdamRodgers and skyfall like this.
  14. bitcoin

bitcoin

Done. G45 on the way. Will shoot em together and if I really like the G45 more, I'll sell the 17. Otherwise I'll keep it. That front grip cutout is a bummer.

dbuck47 and AdamRodgers like this.
  15. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

Do it. Sell it. Get the 45. It has front slide serrations.

16. skyfall

skyfall

Remember to thank all the G45 owners who helped to make your excellent choice.Very wise purchase and you will be pleased with the way it shoots and carries.

glocker1 likes this.
  17. bitcoin

bitcoin

So here's the update:

Got a G45. Very nice feeling/handling gun. Slightly more muzzle flip and recoil than the 17, which has more of a 'push' type feeling to me. Quicker sights on target with the G45, very slightly. If you told me from 5 yards away I need to put 10 rounds on target, the G45 is slightly quicker. However, when it came to accuracy, I suffered around 15-20% with the G45 vs the 17. I was shooting on a virtual range which tracks your scores. I did a few rounds with each. The G17 was noticeably more accurate and overall scores were higher. I was basically shooting 9 bullseyes, starting at 1 and the final 8th round has 8. If you hit one that you are not supposed to, the round is over. It makes sense to me why IDPA shooters prefer longer sight radius. It's just more accurate.

Overall accuracy during these simulated multiple target games had the 17 noticeably better. There's no question if you told me I had to make a precise shot on 3 targets from 7 yards, the G17 is the better gun. I think I was looking for an excuse to buy another Glock. The 17 will remain on HD duty. I can live with the cutout.

One other observation- a very high % of the brass flung off the wall next to me and hit me in the face. The G45 ejection is drastically stronger than the 17.

G17 remains king.

mic214 likes this.
  18. GlockinStihl

GlockinStihl I'm all Glocked out

I'm with Borg, my G45 is my favorite Glock ever. I was a big hater on the crossover thing at first, and I talked all kinds of crap about them. Until I shot one. There really is something to the lighter slide with bigger grip. I find it so easy to shoot fast, doing double taps and failure drills. If the missing pin ever bothers you, just drill the two holes, and slide the locking block pin in. :D

Borg Warner, glocker1 and AdamRodgers like this.
  19. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Been shooting the G17 in USPSA since 1994 until last fall when I switched over to the G45/19X.

Now all but one of my G17’s have been sold, and that one will be gone soon too.

20. stykshooter

stykshooter

I have numerous Glocks... 26, 27, 40 MOS, 34, 35, 43, 48 and several 17's plus a new 44. That being said, I picked up a G-45 several months back. I have carried a Glock on duty for over 20 years and shot Glocks in I.D.P.A. and I.S.P.C. competition for years.

I think the G-45 is one of my all time favorite Glocks. I love the feel of it and the recoil impulse. Very accurate for me. I don't carry it for concealed carry but it is an outstanding night stand and truck gun.