Self-defense with the Tactical Pen

Discussion in 'The Martial Arts Forum' started by Deputydave, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

2. Edge

Edge Millennium Member

What pen do you recommend?

3. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

Google Zebra F-701 Tactical Pen for a inexpensive tactical pen.
    Made two for less than the cost of one.

Rellik likes this.
  4. Deputydave

Ebay has a million of them for a buck or two. I ordered a few just to see the quality and to see if they even write well.

5. Deputydave

I received three tactical pens off Ebay and have to say I was actually impressed. These were under $2 each. They had heft to them and I actually couldn't believe that they actually wrote very well. So much so that my son took one to use to write notes down in his college class. I'd have no trouble believing that they'd break a window with the top tip or work as a solid improvised kubaton.

6. fastbolt

fastbolt

These sort of pens, if sturdy, might be a bit handier than the Kubotans of the key ring type, because they can actually be used for writing. ;)

One of the occasional problems with the key ring type Kubotans was that they could slip out from under a belt, or even if carried deep in a pocket, the keys might snag and catch on something, pulling the Kubotan from the pocket.

I used to carry the large cap-type pens, or just sturdy pens & pencils, when working uniform assignments. My martial arts experience naturally made me consider their potential to serve as field expedient defensive tools.

The newer gadgetry incorporated into the "tactical pen" niche blurs the lines of practical, interesting, fun to collect ... and perhaps attracting attention as being carried with the "intent" of employing them as dangerous weapons. Some awareness of restrictions, controlled environments and applicable laws might prevent an unpleasant experience for the owner.

I like the affordable & collectible idea, as well as the practicality (depending on the circumstances).

Another type of men's pocket jewelry, which writes, if nothing else. ;)

Okay to link this here?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyQG3XE4hc4

7. nursetim

nursetim

Bic pens used to puncture jar lids on their commercials in the '70's. A Bic pen will do the damage I need it to do and is acceptable in almost all environments.

pipedreams likes this.
  8. fastbolt

fastbolt

Remember the commercial where a Bic pen was fired from a .30-30 (in front of a blank), and the tip, after penetrating the pine board, was used to write the name? :)

pipedreams, Rellik and nursetim like this.
  9. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

I don't have any experience but will be ordering one of these. Zebra pens are usually an aluminum alloy of some type and would work fine if needed, just be mindful of the plastic end.
    Stainless has so many formulas it is ridiculous. It goes from non-magnetic to pretty much just plain steel. Not sure abut this, but think it shows to be in the middle to leaning non-magnetic. Not a deal breaker.
    I do have a real "tactical" pen that is heavy and obvious, but writes very well. I think it uses pilot inserts. Zebra isn't my favorite writer, but it will do.

10. nursetim

nursetim

Nope

11. fastbolt

fastbolt

nursetim likes this.
  12. pipedreams

Check out the link above about the Zebra pens. You get rid of the plastic parts by combining F701 & F402 to make a much stronger pen. If you search Google, you will find plenty of mods to make this pen even more “tactical” by replacing the plastic components with metal parts from another cheap pen and installing a Fisher pressurize ink cartridge.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04rPqd6f6Uw

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/10/07/zebra-f-107-the-5-
    tactical-pen/
    Of course you can just buy a cheap tactile pen on ebay and save the effort.

13. fastbolt

fastbolt

While it's probably an enjoyable endeavor and hobby to "improve" something like the Zebra pen, making it a "stronger" tactical pen ... exactly how "strong" does it have to be in order to be effectively employed as a 1-use expedient defensive tool?

It's not like you're going to be using it to make a shelter, change a tire or open sealed cans, is it?

FWIW, in my younger days of arts pursuits, there came a time when my instructor trained me in the use of bamboo flutes (since they were commonly seen, and often carried, in SF's China Town) ... and chopsticks. Both were employed as weapons. They attracted no undue attention and could be carried anywhere.

The style and specific end cuts of the flute, and the material and rigidity of the chopsticks, were aspects he discussed (and demonstrated), but they weren't, in the long run, exactly critical to their quick and short term employment as weapons.

Naturally, the methods taught with the blunted chop sticks (especially as employed in variants of Mantis style arts) lent themselves to the discussion - and use of - ball point pens, and even sharpened wood pencils. This was at the beginning of the 70's, mind you, when someone with enough martial arts background might recognize a Yawara stick, but chop sticks, pens and pencils weren't found in the normal fare of commercial self defense training.

Anyway, I continued to train with chopsticks over the years, as well as various pens & pencils (wood and mechanical), and I still have a collection of chopsticks, but my "tactical pen" collection is a bit small. One of the great disadvantages of the current (cyclical ;) ) concept of a "tactical" pen is its very obviousness.

I like to collect a tactical pen now and again, but mostly for the novelty of it, and the wonderful gadgetry involved.

For actual use, I usually default back to being able to pick up and practice with a stick-type pen (or a pair of them, for the original training I endured).

I'll add a nice "barrel-type" pen now and again. My 10-year anniversary gift as an employee was a Waterman Pen, and it serves pretty nicely for a low key, field expedient tool. However, it's hard to beat a Parker T-Ball Jotter for a strong, everyday pen that can stand up to some temporary stress and abuse.

The pocket jewelry is cool, but not necessary, and often a bit too obvious. ;)

14. pipedreams

Your right how strong does one need to be. I made two of them just to see if it was possible. They came out great but I doubt they will ever be used as a defensive tool. I keep one in the truck which gets banged around and it writes ever time so that's most likely it's place in life. More likely a cup of hot coffee will get used than a tactical pen.

fastbolt likes this.
  15. fastbolt

fastbolt

So, since this thread once again piqued my ongoing interest in everyday pocketable gadgetry that could actually be useful for something ... ;)

I decided to pick a couple of pens to add to my normal everyday gear.

For an over-the-top-obvious choice that looks even more "tactical/tacticool" than my S&W pen (swag from a friendly rep) ... https://www.amazon.com/SWAT-Tactical-Pen-Defensive-Ballpoint/dp/B01MG25VN1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497918144&sr=8-1&keywords=SWAT+Tactical+Pen+-+Heaven+Writing+++Badass+EDC+Self+Defense+Weapon+++Window+Breaker+-+Used+in+Police+and+Military+Gear+-+Industry+Best+Defensive+Ballpoint+Pens+with+Free+pouch+and+2nd+ink+refill

For something I might actually stick in a breast or shoulder pocket, or pull from a hip pocket, without expecting to set off visual alarms among people and horses ... and actually USE for writing :) ...
    https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Collection-Turquoise-Barrel-91426/dp/B015XIKLX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497917895&sr=8-1&keywords=Pilot+MR+Retro+Pop+Collection+Ball+Point+Pen,+Turquoise+Barrel+with+Dots+Accent,+Medium+Point,+Black+Ink+(91426)

And then, just because I can't seem to put my hands on where I have my Zebra pen, when I stopped by a market on the way home from my cigar club last night, I picked up an inexpensive 2-pack of the F310 steel pens (black ink/0.7mm). Might as well have one for each car (unless my other one is hiding in my wife's SUV ;) ).

The pens are much handier to carry, and significantly less obvious in their intended roles, than any of my poly or lathe-turned hardwood Yawara sticks.

And to think that back in my youthful days in the arts (let's just call it "early 70's), I "made do" by carrying a practical cut length of simple wood dowel, later replaced by a couple of black and blue Kubotans ... and somewhere around here I have a heavily knurled and checkered aluminum stick.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  16. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

For anyone who might care, I got a couple of the F 701's for me and the wife. We both write a lot. She opted for the original Zebra insert. It is better than the ones I remember. I opted for the Fisher Space Pen insert. It is silky smooth and rivals Pilot and Paper Mate pens (the good ones).
    Stout built pens. More pen than tactical, but capable of doing major damage if one is willing to inflict it. Either insert will do the job IMHO. There is such a small amount of point to expose, it should have no problem on soft tissue, and probably will do a job on thin spots like the temporal regions. Hands, neck, and soft facial areas don't stand much of a chance.
    The unsavory "up close and personal" use of this type of device may not be for the weak stomach, or even the strong, but this is a great writer that should last a life time, so why not.
    On a side note, spend a buck on a pen and you'll be looking for one every day. Spend $10 on one, and you will keep up with it. Just the nature of people I guess.

YMMV