GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new Glock owner, I have been researching self-defense liability insurance such as what is included with USCCA membership. Is this something that most people purchase or subscribe to? Is it worth it? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
As a new Glock owner, I have been researching self-defense liability insurance such as what is included with USCCA membership. Is this something that most people purchase or subscribe to? Is it worth it? Thanks!
There are a lot of threads on this if you do a search. Opinions as to whether it's worth it are all over the place.

·
Anti-Federalist
19,138 Posts
CCW safe actually offers coverage for your defense costs, bond and a 1 million liability policy. I've seen more than a few fall short of this.

I highly recommend everyone doing their research on this. Some are true insurance products, others are defense retainers.

And some of the big names flat out refuse to cover costs or refunds in some states where legislation makes them no longer viable.

https://www.insurance.wa.gov/news/kreidler-fines-uscca-100000-illegal-insurance-sales-policies

Things change and what we thought were the best may not be from year to year.

Reactions: MD357

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
And some of the big names flat out refuse to cover costs or refunds in some states where legislation makes them no longer viable.

https://www.insurance.wa.gov/news/kreidler-fines-uscca-100000-illegal-insurance-sales-policies

Things change and what we thought were the best may not be from year to year.
The basic ISO form they are written on won't allow the policy to respond to a TRUE criminal act. That's ANY policy. I don't pretend to know the laws in Washington, but I'd wager they aren't like many here in the midwest or south, and they probably don't allow much for defending yourself. Something those certain states need to be aware of. To be honest though, seems like that commissioner has a hard on for legal liability products, as he went after the NRA's too.

·
Anti-Federalist
19,138 Posts
The basic ISO form they are written on won't allow the policy to respond to a TRUE criminal act. That's ANY policy. I don't pretend to know the laws in Washington, but I'd wager they aren't like many here in the midwest or south, and they probably don't allow much for defending yourself. Something those certain states need to be aware of. To be honest though, seems like that commissioner has a hard on for legal liability products, as he went after the NRA's too.

The "gotcha" was the fact that if the insured caught a charge after being defended there was no mechanism to repay the insurance company.

·
Anti-Federalist
19,138 Posts
It’s a scam for people who don’t understand probabilities.

No, it's insurance for those that do understand that **** happens on a daily basis.

I carry dive insurance as well, not because the likelihood of needing a chamber ride is high, but because the cost of a single ride would cost a hundred thousand dollars that I don't have on hand and I may need more than one.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Well friend just took recent CCW renewal, the class was taught by two lawyers, who fill in for judges.

They made a point if you are involved in a shooting, be it justified, or not. Plan on spending 50K to protect your rights.

Easier to run, than shoot, if shooting is only last resort, those judging you actions that happen in a split second, will have all the time in the world. To judge if you were right or wrong.

Something to think about.

Got 50K burning hole in pocket? I do not.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Well friend just took recent CCW renewal, the class was taught by two lawyers, who fill in for judges.

They made a point if you are involved in a shooting, be it justified, or not. Plan on spending 50K to protect your rights.
depending on which state you live in, and the current political climate, $50k could be a very low figure.

what would it cost to defend the mccloskeys? and they never fired a single round...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think of having the insurance from time to time. I think for the low cost why wouldn't you have it. I need to do some research on this. Yeah, I don't have the 50K to prove I'm in the right.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
depending on which state you live in, and the current political climate, $50k could be a very low figure.

what would it cost to defend the mccloskeys? and they never fired a single round...

McCloskey got railroaded, now their action will be decided in Court of Law. Hope they have deep pockets, and a great defense attorney.

This is the BS that happens when you have a DA who is funded & put in office by the LEFT.

·
Anti-Federalist
19,138 Posts

Easier to run, than shoot, if shooting is only last resort, those judging you actions that happen in a split second, will have all the time in the world. To judge if you were right or wrong.

Something to think about.

Got 50K burning hole in pocket? I do not.

That's why we have insurance....

Reactions: PeterG

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
If I lived in a crime infested area, or if I was routinely robbed, I might see the need for insurance.
The fact is, I'm 65 years old and have never had to present a firearm, let alone shoot someone. For me, the money would be better spent on lotto tickets because the odds would be better.

·
Anti-Federalist
19,138 Posts
If I lived in a crime infested area, or if I was routinely robbed, I might see the need for insurance.
The fact is, I'm 65 years old and have never had to present a firearm, let alone shoot someone. For me, the money would be better spent on lotto tickets because the odds would be better.

There are quite a few folks in the news right now that we discuss about on GT daily that probably wish they had insurance.

Reactions: Green Dragoon
1 - 20 of 73 Posts