Self Defense- Knives

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RichJ, Apr 5, 2010.

1. RichJ

RichJ

What are the rules of engagement as far as knives go in self defense? If you carry a daily pocket folder can you use it like you would a firearm?

If a really big guy is attacking a much smaller guy, can the little guy pull out his pocket knife and stick him?

Suppose the victim has a CCW. Would that matter?

2. DGreno

DGreno FF/Paramedic Silver Member

I am a really small guy and you can bet that if I get attacked and all I have is my mini grip then someone is getting stabbed.
    Also when I am working on the street, A knife is all I have as far as a "weapon" goes. As far as the rules of engagement, I make my own.

3. devildog2067

devildog2067

A knife is a deadly weapon, and therefore subject to the same constraints on use of deadly force, IMO.

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

+1. The "rules of engagement" with a knife are the same as with a pistol. In most cases if you even pull out your knife on an unarmed BG he will stop what he is doing.

5. voyager4520

voyager4520

Well there may be different local laws, but there are some aspects that are universal. It's use of deadly force, which means you only do it when you think you or someone else is about to die because of the attacker's actions. And you think that use of deadly force is your only option and the least amount of force you can use to stop that threat to a person's life from continuing. Because it's using deadly force, you don't taunt with the knife, you don't aim to do non-life-threatening injury(aka maiming), you aim to use deadly force until the lethal threat is no longer being presented. It's all or nothing until they stop presenting a threat someone's life.

6. jp3975

jp3975

"He saw that I had a knife in my pocket and tried to go for it. I had no choice but to use it because he was trying to take it and I thought he was going to kill me"

7. Jester249

Jester249 W.W.P.D.?

Rich I could explain the law to you, but you have proven to not either like, or understand the law.......:rofl::rofl:

8. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

The best thing to do with a knife is throw it down next to the bad guy after you shoot him.

9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Same as a gun, pretty much. In fear of death or grevious bodily injury, or to prevent a forcible felony, it's better than nothing.

10. mdhandyman

mdhandyman

:rofl:That's why you should carry two!!!:rofl:

11. mesteve2

mesteve2

Is that called a throw down?

12. Stonewall308

Stonewall308

I don't carry a knife, but if I did I'd probably have to be outnumbered or outweighed by at least 40 lbs before I'd pull it.

13. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

If you're using it to kill someone (as far as a jury is concerned "stop the threat" means "kill"), it's a deadly weapon. If the pointy bit goes into the other fella, you're using it to kill someone.

So, well, any time that it's likely to come up, the "rules of engagement" are about the same as shootin' someone instead of stabbin' 'em. In fact, to some juries, the act of getting blood-on-your-hands close to someone, rather than shooting them from a "safe" distance, might be used against you by a jerk attorney who wants to make it look like you went out of your way to fight -- by lunging at someone rather than attemping to retreat, for instance.

In other words, if you shank a fool, you're gonna have to be able to articulate why, just as if you shot 'em.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  14. Sharkey

Sharkey

Check your state's use of force laws and knife laws. A knife is a deadly weapon.
    A knife is a great close combat weapon even better than a gun IMHO but I know many disagree.

Once you get a knife, take some training and always use a drone when training.
    Don't ask why I recommend this.......:whistling:

15. RichJ

RichJ

Just go ahead and jump right into a thread with an insult.

Jester, I respect the law plenty. Even though you are a cop, you have shown time and time again that you can be the biggest *(insert explicative)* on this forum. Please keep from commenting on my threads if you cannot offer anything positive. Being that you are a LEO, I would appreciate your input on this subject as long as it is constructive dialog but please stop with the insults ok.

16. jhmayhem

jhmayhem

Deadly force is deadly force regardless of what weapon you use. If you use a weapon on an unarmed attacker, the outcome is always going to vary per situation. I can’t think of too many scenarios where deadly force may be justified on an unarmed assailant. In any case, use damn good judgment because your life is on the line too, one way or the other.

17. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Deadly force is deadly force. Stab hard, stab fast, stab deep.
    [​IMG]

18. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Unless it's purpose built, a knife is often less adequate as a fight stopper than you assume. Agressiveness and speed matter greatly, and the very acts that win fights (destroy them with maximum efficiency) lose court cases. It's one thing to kill someone by shooting them twice, it's another if you've slashed them 12 times in 3 minutes till they bled out. With life sized pictures. Slashing is a fight winner, if you're quick..

Stabbing is the 'other' technique and more likely to cause death, but again, not necessarily immediately enough to stop the fight unless done with serious determination, repeatedly. I carry knives for SD and am more inclined to stabbing than slashing, but be aware knives aren't much protection, and not nearly enough to guarantee winning, or even surviving, a knife fight.

In any knife fight, ASSUME you will become cut. BEFORE you commit. And if you do it just exactly correctly they'll crucify you in court.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  19. RichJ

RichJ

There seems to be a wide grey area on this and it is determined by the situation. I can understand that any use of a knife can be considered "lethal intenet" seeing how a knife is a deadly weapon, but like any self defense situation, you have to be able to prove that you feared for your life. I can see this a being almost impossible to prove if the other guy doesn't have a weapon.

The senario I am thinking of would be if a really big guy attacked a much smaller guy with just his bare hands. Seeing as how the big guy has the ability to kill the smaller guy just by beating him to death, wouldn't that constitute a reasonable fear for ones life by itself?

20. Jester249

Jester249 W.W.P.D.?

OK. I'm sorry for having hurt your feelings. I'm sorry my post was too close for comfort. But I do have to say, you sure are quite emotional, aren't you?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010