Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a website that sells bullets for reloading self defense ammo? I would like to find Pow'rBall bullets, but I don't think those are sold other than in complete loaded rounds.

If those can't be found, is there a certain type of hollow point that is recommended for reloading?

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
I also like the XTP's. A lot of penetration and some expansion. Very accurate too. You can also find Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, et cetera. I don't think you'll find Pow'rBall, HST, or other fancy bullets though.

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
Please don't take this as a criticism, it is not intended to be but the simple fact is you're not nearly far along in your loading experience to be loading ammunition intended for the most serious of circumstances.

There is a multitude of choices in the factory realm of SD ammunition that will more than meet your needs should the occasion arise.

Jack

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Please don't take this as a criticism, it is not intended to be but the simple fact is you're not nearly far along in your loading experience to be loading ammunition intended for the most serious of circumstances.

There is a multitude of choices in the factory realm of SD ammunition that will more than meet your needs should the occasion arise.

Jack
:agree:

·
2,950 Posts

Jack
Excellent point!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No offense taken, Jack. I understand where you're coming from, but what's the problem if I load 200 rounds of SD ammo and shoot 100 of them to make sure there are 0 malfunctions?

I'm not thinking of doing this right now for 9mm. The reason I ask is because I am about to buy a Sig P238 and don't want to pay ridiculous prices for the .380 SD ammo (as well as the target ammo!)

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
No offense taken, Jack. I understand where you're coming from, but what's the problem if I load 200 rounds of SD ammo and shoot 100 of them to make sure there are 0 malfunctions?

I'm not thinking of doing this right now for 9mm. The reason I ask is because I am about to buy a Sig P238 and don't want to pay ridiculous prices for the .380 SD ammo (as well as the target ammo!)
Take Jack's advice. After you have reloaded say 10K practice ammo rounds, then you can THINK about trying to load, for what ever your reasoning, your own SD rounds. Keep in mind, most of the really good bullets are NOT available to reloaders. The XTP, RGS & GoldDot are about it for proven designs.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts

Here's why round 101 might not go bang!!! :dunno:

·
Registered
15,022 Posts
The better plan is to buy a box of the self defense stuff and then make a clone of that ammo using the same bullet and a nice SLOW powder. It will feel and function the same and will allow you to practice for cheaper while you save the good stuff for what it's best suited for.

·
2,950 Posts

Then buy yourself some .380 dies, 95gr LRN Missouri Bullets, W-231 powder and reload range rounds to get comfortable with the P238. Get yourself very familiar with the firearm, including its idiosyncrasies. That familiarity will transcend the difference between your range LRNs and your heavy duty factory SD rounds if you are unfortunate enough to need to use it.

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
The better plan is to buy a box of the self defense stuff and then make a clone of that ammo using the same bullet and a nice SLOW powder. It will feel and function the same and will allow you to practice for cheaper while you save the good stuff for what it's best suited for.

I have to disagree with my buddy Little Stevie on this. (Bear in mind, it doesn't mean I'm right, merely that I have a differing opinion.)

Learning to become proficient enough with a handgun to have a true advantage, or even a reasonable expectation of success in a social encounter takes thousands upon thousands of practice rounds in a variety of scenarios. Everything physical must become second nature and done without conscious thought. Should the occasion ever arise your mind will be preoccupied with a myriad of decisions to be made and there will be no time for consideration of actual ability.

Just as in learning to become a proficient horseman involves countless hours of saddle time becoming proficient with a handgun in a potential SD situation involves countless hours of range time. Not taking into account the cost factor of training with factory ammunition or loads simulating a carry load the fact remains that the physical punishment on both gun and body is too much to endure for long durations.

Anyone can shoot fifty rounds of max SD loads but to what end? Times that by ten times per week of shooting with a .22 and you'll be far more prepared for a dangerous situation. High recoiling rounds may raise the eyebrows of your friends or even attract the attention of some ill informed young lady of loose values but it will not result in your intended goal... learning how to shoot proficiently.

Take PCJim's advice, buy the least expensive bullets you can find that will provide 100% functioning reliability and reasonable accuracy, load them to mid-range, or lower and go out and shoot enough to where you can call your shots with your eyes closed. (Yes, you can shoot without seeing... all us old guys do it. :crying:)

Buy a couple boxes of SD factory ammunition, run enough through your gun to satisfy yourself to 100% functioning and practice with your lower powered reloads.

Jack

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,185 Posts
I have to disagree with my buddy Little Stevie on this. (Bear in mind, it doesn't mean I'm right, merely that I have a differing opinion.)

Learning to become proficient enough with a handgun to have a true advantage, or even a reasonable expectation of success in a social encounter takes thousands upon thousands of practice rounds in a variety of scenarios. Everything physical must become second nature and done without conscious thought. Should the occasion ever arise your mind will be preoccupied with a myriad of decisions to be made and there will be no time for consideration of actual ability.

Just as in learning to become a proficient horseman involves countless hours of saddle time becoming proficient with a handgun in a potential SD situation involves countless hours of range time. Not taking into account the cost factor of training with factory ammunition or loads simulating a carry load the fact remains that the physical punishment on both gun and body is too much to endure for long durations.

Anyone can shoot fifty rounds of max SD loads but to what end? Times that by ten times per week of shooting with a .22 and you'll be far more prepared for a dangerous situation. High recoiling rounds may raise the eyebrows of your friends or even attract the attention of some ill informed young lady of loose values but it will not result in your intended goal... learning how to shoot proficiently.

Take PCJim's advice, buy the least expensive bullets you can find that will provide 100% functioning reliability and reasonable accuracy, load them to mid-range, or lower and go out and shoot enough to where you can call your shots with your eyes closed. (Yes, you can shoot without seeing... all us old guys do it. :crying:)

Buy a couple boxes of SD factory ammunition, run enough through your gun to satisfy yourself to 100% functioning and practice with your lower powered reloads.

Jack
:agree::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,022 Posts

Jack
My suggestion was to make a clone of the Factory Ammo and practice with that. NOT TO JUST MAKE 50 rds and call that good. I don't know how you got the idea I would recommend just shooting 50 rds. If you make of clone of the factory ammo you will have a better idea if you gun does/doesn't like your chosen bullet. Doing a lot of practice with cheaper bullets also makes a lot more sence. But buying a 1k of you factory BULLET to load into a nice factory duplicate also makes a lot of sence in some ways.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts

Jack

+1 Think of all your saving reloading your practice ammo and then go buy factory ammo for SD.

SD is more than a projectile. You can't duplicate the powder, selected for low flash, nickel cases work best. There are just so many considerations that you have no idea about at this point.

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
My suggestion was to make a clone of the Factory Ammo and practice with that. NOT TO JUST MAKE 50 rds and call that good. I don't know how you got the idea I would recommend just shooting 50 rds. If you make of clone of the factory ammo you will have a better idea if you gun does/doesn't like your chosen bullet. Doing a lot of practice with cheaper bullets also makes a lot more sence. But buying a 1k of you factory BULLET to load into a nice factory duplicate also makes a lot of sence in some ways.

No, no, no Little Stevie, I never meant to imply that you said to just buy 50 rounds of factory... you know better than that and I know you know better than that. :panties: (I've always wanted to use that.)

My point was that firing 500 rounds of .22 will result in more progress than firing 50 rounds of full power loads. Many erroneously feel that one must try to master and control full power recoil while in reality that has little to do with putting multiple shots on target. It is far more important to develop the instinct and muscle memory to know when the barrel is level, (back into line of battery) and on target. Due to the amount of practice it takes to achieve that level of reflex shooting using full power loads is neither desirable, practical or necessary.

But, then again, you may be correct and I can be totally incorrect. I'm too old to remember which way is right.

There... still mad at me?

Jack

·
Registered
15,022 Posts
No, no, no Little Stevie, I never meant to imply that you said to just buy 50 rounds of factory... you know better than that and I know you know better than that. :panties: (I've always wanted to use that.)

My point was that firing 500 rounds of .22 will result in more progress than firing 50 rounds of full power loads. Many erroneously feel that one must try to master and control full power recoil while in reality that has little to do with putting multiple shots on target. It is far more important to develop the instinct and muscle memory to know when the barrel is level, (back into line of battery) and on target. Due to the amount of practice it takes to achieve that level of reflex shooting using full power loads is neither desirable, practical or necessary.

But, then again, you may be correct and I can be totally incorrect. I'm too old to remember which way is right.

There... still mad at me?

Jack

I just didn't understand. I think your right. I wouldn't focus on shooting some high power load. I never really do. In fact I think shooting a resonable load builds confidence and high power stuff can errode confidence.

I do think there is some use for make a batch of factory style ammo, even using the same bullets. It's not a exact match but it does help in some cases with understanding if you need to perhaps pick a different bullet. .380's can be finicky.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up buying that Sig P238 today. Can't wait to shoot it! I bought two boxes of Hornady Critical Defense ammo as well. I am going to clean it before I shoot it for the first time and then put a box of the SD ammo through it to make sure it feeds alright. After that, I will put a few hundred rounds of mild reloads through it (I am ordering supplies tonight) to work out any break-in it might need.

·
Registered
15,022 Posts
Reverse that. Shoot your reloads first to break it in. Then clean it and make sure it functions with the Hornady stuff.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, ok. Will do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts