GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, there was a man standing by on the street. I take a look at his face and he looks like an addict. I continued walking but suddenly that guy grabs my shoulder. He threatened me with a knife. But he is unlucky because I had my little gun, After that, he runs away. I didn't expect that they use the pandemic in their dirty crimes.

Be ready & Stay safe always everyone!

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
This is a great example of situational awareness fail.

You were:
a) On a street with potential addict(s)
b) Maintained your course
c) Were not aware enough to know he was following you
d) Allowed him to come into contact with you
e) Were lucky he didn't take your little gun and shoot you with it - he engaged, had the initiative, and surprise

As for "Pandemic" if you do not want to catch the bug-du-jour, do not be out and about. If you are out, stay away from people. It really is that simple. I have worked in public health, and during a pandemic if you think you are safe you are fooling yourself.

As for self defense, basic martial arts should have been your go to. Again - if you have to walk around with your "little" gun in your hand - that is a place to not be. Especially in a Pandemic. Desperate times, desperate and infected people.

This is so much FAIL your momma should slap you.

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
Yesterday, there was a man standing by on the street. I take a look at his face and he looks like an addict. I continued walking but suddenly that guy grabs my shoulder. He threatened me with a knife. But he is unlucky because I had my little gun, After that, he runs away. I didn't expect that they use the pandemic in their dirty crimes.

Be ready & Stay safe always everyone!
You seem to be missing the, growing up in a big city, perception of the "hair on the back of the neck warning".

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
No - but I won't be surprised when he isn't.
Be ready and be safe he says;

He was in a bad place and let a bad person contact him during a pandemic
He didn't know a basic martial arts deflect-push away, or basic joint lock self defense
He could have got shot by a skilled opponent
He could have went to jail for shooting a bum

I'm not investing in him emotionally. Just saying it doesn't look good.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
No - but I won't be surprised when he isn't.
Be ready and be safe he says;

He was in a bad place and let a bad person contact him during a pandemic
He didn't know a basic martial arts deflect-push away, or basic joint lock self defense
He could have got shot by a skilled opponent
He could have went to jail for shooting a bum

I'm not investing in him emotionally. Just saying it doesn't look good.
According to the ops profile, he’s a she. If it matters.

Reactions: pAZ Ron

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
This is a great example of situational awareness fail.

You were:
a) On a street with potential addict(s)
b) Maintained your course
c) Were not aware enough to know he was following you
d) Allowed him to come into contact with you
e) Were lucky he didn't take your little gun and shoot you with it - he engaged, had the initiative, and surprise

As for "Pandemic" if you do not want to catch the bug-du-jour, do not be out and about. If you are out, stay away from people. It really is that simple. I have worked in public health, and during a pandemic if you think you are safe you are fooling yourself.

As for self defense, basic martial arts should have been your go to. Again - if you have to walk around with your "little" gun in your hand - that is a place to not be. Especially in a Pandemic. Desperate times, desperate and infected people.

This is so much FAIL your momma should slap you.
AGREE. One of the rules of SD is Avoidance (of iffy situations). Another is SITUATIONAL AWARENESS as noted. I'd be embarrassed to post the thread in the first place

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I'd be embarrassed to post the thread in the first place
Maybe the OP wasn't embarrassed enough to remind others of the possibility of an epic fail? Even seasoned pros sometimes mess up. Ever wracked your knuckles on a slipped wrench when you knew you shouldn't have wrapped your fingers around the handle but did anyway?

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Well, apologies to Her.

I'm 6' 2" and don't generally get approached by anyone with ill intent. But as a "she" then she should be even more aware of things.

I'd like to hear from the OP. It seems her lesson was "I have a gun I'm fine"

Had individual just ran up and stabbed her she'd be dead.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Seems like a lot of criticism over a lot of unknowns.

OP could've rounded a corner to be right in front of the person, they could've been standing in a doorway where they weren't seen ahead of time, etc.

We also don't know from this post at least, the OP's size, physical disability, or age to be able to pull off this perfect deflect the knife move.

Sometimes you get dealt a crappy hand and you get lucky to get out of it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, apologies to Her.

I'm 6' 2" and don't generally get approached by anyone with ill intent. But as a "she" then she should be even more aware of things.

I'd like to hear from the OP. It seems her lesson was "I have a gun I'm fine"

Had individual just ran up and stabbed her she'd be dead.
I'll gladly take those words. Don't mind me, and I don't have a right to be mad at you since you are thinking about my safety. And yeah, I do learn a lesson at that point. Sorry for disappointing you, I wasn't in my mental awareness at that time because of some issues at work. But I'm already fine now since my mother helped me stabilize my mentality. This article also helps me with my situation also http://depressioncell.com/covid-19-...-self-care-tips-when-you-feel-low-and-broken/

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Lockedout is a female, not a male.

She had situational awareness because she could describe. Maybe she just wasn't into condition red.

Now I am going to give an alternative to having a firearm - and why.

1. If you had access to a firearm and had situational awareness, must people would NOT have drawn in advance of the confrontation.

2. Most people would say to carry a knife. Whether you can draw and conceal the knife within your grasp, you still could not carry that knife into a number of urban buildings. I have been in countries where, anticipating a confrontation, have drawn a folder long enough to be a yawara stick and not fully deployed the same as a knife.

3. You obtain and carry a flashlight. If it is long enough for both ends to extend out of a grasp, you have a yawara stick for striking. Most flashlights have the the front lens covering ant the lens recessed into the body of the flashlight You obtain one made of aircraft aluminum and on the rim of the front of the flashlight have metal protruding. The protrusions can be blunt. They can be more pointed.

You won't be asking yourself "can I carry my flashlight into that federal building, the VA or the grocery store that has a sign saying 'no guns allowed'.

4. It sometimes said that there are no dumb questions. Wrong. I anticipate a dumb question challenge. NO, a flashlight is not going to defeat a knife or a gun in the hands of a bad guy. Moreover, I already know the mantra:"I would rather be tried before 12 than carried by 6".

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll gladly take those words. Don't mind me, and I don't have a right to be mad at you since you are thinking about my safety. And yeah, I do learn a lesson at that point. Sorry for disappointing you, I wasn't in my mental awareness at that time because of some issues at work. But I'm already fine now since my mother helped me stabilize my mentality. This article also helps me with my situation also http://depressioncell.com/covid-19-...-self-care-tips-when-you-feel-low-and-broken/
Happy to know that you are okay now and thanks to the article that helped you, especially your mother.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts