Selecting Glock for wife, teenage daughter

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by -, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Guest

Could someone comment on the wisdom of a Glock 26 for my wife and teenage daughter for self defense? Neither of them have been involved with firearms. Someone said that subcompacts take more to get used to. Any counsel you could give would be appreciated. :)

2. Gary F

Gary F

Only your wife can determine the wisdom of any gun purchase, ownership -- comfort level FOR HER USE!!
    the glock 26 is an awesome gun ... and many women seem to gravitate towards it for their first "semi-auto" purchase! Personally ... i don't think the gl 26 would be any harder to get used to than any other (larger 9 milimeter semi-autp pistol)
    peace, gary

3. Sterling

Sterling

Some friends of mine and I took a friend and his girl-friend out to the range because the girlfriend was thinking of getting a CHL and pistol for herself. The girlfriend is a relatively petite woman (prolly around 5'4" and slender) with small hands. The girlfriend had never really shot before. We helped the girlfriend try a G17, G19 and G26 (a 9mm hat-trick! :) ), a kel-tec p32 and a .22 target pistol. The girlfriend's comments:
    G17, G19 - too big, didn't like the recoil
    G26 - liked the fit and said it felt like it had less recoil than the G17 and G19
    p32 - too small (couldn't get her hands to fit right) and too long of a trigger pull
    .22 - enjoyed it

I know other women that don't like the G26 (too small) and love the G17.

Basically, suggest you take them both out to a range and let them try different guns to see what they like the most (heck, they may fall in love with an H&K full-size .45 :) ) and what feels/fits best for them. Besdies, when have you ever had problems convincing your wife and daughter to go SHOPPING?! :)

Then get them some training on how to USE the thing in self-defense (especially since they have no background in firearms). Case in point, there was a show on Discovery or TLC about a woman who grabed her husband's pistol from the night stand to shoot an intruder who was about to rape her. She pulled the trigger and nothing happened (she stated that she didn't know she had to pull the hammer back first, but it could have been that she didn't know to turn off the safety first). Her attacker's pistol did work and she got shot in the face (but survived). Second example, one of those "caught on tape" shows had a store clerk pull out a pistol to shoot an armed burglar, the store clerk forgot to turn off the safety before pulling the trigger and ended up getting shot.

4. locnload

locnload

I strongly second the notion that you take your wife and daughter to the range with as many options as possible for them to try. Let them make their own choice. Men, a word of advice, never try to "select" something like this for a woman. I "selected" a yellow station wagon for my wife in 1978, and still have not heard the end of it.:)

5. Gary F

Gary F

hmmm .....;P ;L .... you have a few more years of uuuhhhh "reminders" due you! lolol
    ;f peace, gary

6. GLOCKinTN

GLOCKinTN

My best suggestion since they have not spent time on the range is what I did for my daughter. I bought a ruger 22 for her and I also have a 22 conversion kit ordered for my model 22. I figure the Ruger will get her to the range and let ehr enjoy shooting then when I get the 22 conversion kit she can get used to the Glock feel. I already have a model 17 for her when she wants to use it. Will the conversion fit for both the 22 and 17 ? If anyone knows I would like to know. I figure if it will fit both she can shoot "her" gun with the conversion kit on it. They are both 3rd gen.

Use a 22 to get them there and then use a Glock to keep them there HEHE.

7. stormy brahm

stormy brahm

Hmm well my old lady once told me, that she wouldnt pick out my underware, if i wouldnt pick out her handgun's! So i just let things be .after they pick out what they feel comfortable with then take them to the range and sign them up for firearms instructions and remember a family that glock's together stayes together.
    happy plinking
    stormy;p

8. maybelle

maybelle

Good advice about the 22 conversion kits. It will give a good feel for the grip size, and be a nice introduction to handguns without hurting or being 'scary'.

If you have access to one, try it out!

When you do get them guns, do just that. Get them GUNS. Let them each pick out their own. Sign them up for a class. Hopefully they will be motivated to learn how their own personal gun operates, how to shoot it, feed it, clean it.

This way it is not some community property thing for someone else (you) to be responsible for.

Good luck. Let us know how things work out.

maybelle

9. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

My advise is to take the women to one of those pistol ranges where you can rent anything so they can try several makes and models of handguns.

Who knows that they might like.. Glock, Sig, Kahr, Colt 1911a1, Walther PPK, or maybe the S&W M10 revolver.

10. Bruce Foreman

Bruce Foreman Millennium Member

Man booked himself and age 25 daughter in my defensive handgun course. He bought her a Glock 26 (she had no handgun experience) and took her out to the range with it and "twist in" earplugs 3 days before my course. I had to spend a couple of hours with her day before my course to try to work out noise flinch problem with partial success.

Slight/slim build, excellent attitude, with electronic earmuffs on she took to the Glock 26 like a duck to a pond in the desert. She has somewhat small hands but is into athletics and is extremely adaptable.

And that is the key. Her dad lucked out on selecting the 26, her adaptability made it work. A friend of mine bought his wife a G19 but when she tried out his G26 he had to buy her one.

So I suggest some training from a pro and then let them try out several types.

Bruce Foreman

11. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

It was quite an affair when I decided to pick a defensive handgun for my wife. I grabbed every 9mm in my collection, a j-frame .38, and a couple of .22 pistols and revolvers. I figured that the .22's would give me an idea of what operating system she was most comfortable, and the .38 and 9mm's would give me an idea of what recoil level she could handle comfortably. It was fun for her, and frustrating for me.

She hated the .38 revolver. She liked how easy it was to operate and that it didn't spit out hot brass every time she pulled the trigger, but even with light semi-wadcutter loads she hated the recoil. Every 9mm was either "too heavy" (Browning Hi-Power), or "too snappy" (Glock 19, Glock 17C, S&W 6906). Grrr...

But she fell in love with my 1955 production S&W model 43. It is a 3.5" j-frame .22lr with an alloy frame and adjustable sights. It is probably best described as a miniature S&W model 19. I don't like the idea of her having a .22lr as a defensive handgun, but it's not my choice. And I imagine that even a .22 would be a nasty suprise for someone who was in our house without an invitation.

12. Shooter Grrl

Shooter Grrl

I realize I'm in Glock Talk, but why doesn't anybody mention 1911 style guns for Women? A good single stack 9mm is the PERFECT self defense gun for a woman. They fit us - really really well. I can hold mine right, the recoil is light and because of these 2 "features", I'm a damn good shot (ie, no flinch!)

13. Nancy

Nancy

let your wives and daughters pick their own guns! They're the ones that are going to have to shoot them. Take them shooting and let them "try on" several guns........

it's about what THEY feel comfortable with, after all if they can't hit the target ,it'll do them no good to have it......

;m

14. Nancy

Nancy

BTW, I carry a Glock 27..... a subcompact .40

I have small hands and can't grip (properly) anything bigger..... It's the largest handgun (SemiAuto) that *I* feel comfortable with and I can put it center mass every time :)

15. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Hi. FIRST - the most imperative thing here is that it is going to be up to your wife to determine what she is comfortable handling, firing, and TRAINING with. Handgun ownership is a serious RESPONSIBILITY and I would caution you that if there is no intention to take a gun safety and training class and get some consistent practice time in you should look into other means of self defense. You mentioned your teenage daughter!!!? I would even "go there". I'd also suggest you take your wife out to a reputable gun shop and firing range...let her get used to the "sound" & "atmosphere"...some people get turned off as soon as they realize how dangerous a gun can actually be. It can be overwhelming to those who are "new" to handguns. You'll want to address a few of these topics: what the gun will be used for (concealed carry? home protection?) calibers...semi-auto vs. revolver, gun locks/safety, etc. With that said...your wife is going to have to "try on" many different handguns...but note that finger extensions, grips, and lasersights, etc. can be added on to make the gun more "user friendly". I wouldn't personally recommend a laser sight until the operator becomes a PROFICIENT shooter. You mentioned "subcompacts(may)take more getting used to" but since your wife will be "new" to this she won't really have anything to compare it with...and since she will practice consistenly it shouldn't be a huge issue. I have recently purchased a Glock 26 which is a subcompact 9mm handgun. I had a Scherer finger extention ($5)added so that the gun feels better in my hand. I like the way the gun fires, and the fact that there are various "safety" features on the gun. Its a good sized gun - not a "hand cannon". I'm a Glock fan so of course I'd say...go for the 26...another mini-glock is the 36 which is 45 caliber - I like that one too...but you're wife will be the decision maker! I hope this has been helpful.:)

16. dervari

dervari Clay Buster

Are you talking about one to have in the house, or one for each of them to carry? Is it legal for a teenager to be in sole posession of a pistol in your state?

17. Amelia

Amelia

I love my Glock 26 but don't start them out with one of those. Start them out with a 19. It's a nice side and easy to hold. The 26 seems small in most folks hands and it's measurably snappier. Start them on a 19, then if they want something smaller, they can deal with the 26 when their experience and confidence are build a bit.

:)

18. chip00

chip00

I had a lady friend who was given a Glock 23 by her brother in law.
    I took her to the range and fitted her G23 with my AA .22LR conversion kit. After a lot of instruction, she shot the .22 converted Glock. It worked like a charm and she liked it and could hit with it.
    Then I simply replaced her .40 cal back on top of her frame and fired a few rounds to get her used to the noise. She took it over and did the same without a hitch. No problem and she did very well for a first timer at the range.
    Before firing the first round, I talked long and hard about safety, and the legalities of self defense, etc. More than half our time was spent on safety and legal stuff. We were alone at the range without distractions.
    She had a positive attitude about wanting to learn which helped our instruction.
    Due to the success of this instruction I think this is the way to do it but I welcome suggestions from trainers and instructors. This probably will not be the last time I do this as a favor for someone.

19. Lew-G17

Lew-G17

Let the ladies decide. Best way is to have them to shoot as many different guns and calibers as possible. My wife has tried .22, .380, .38 special, .40, .45, and 9mm in in pistols and revolvers. Her favorite is a Beretta model 84 .380. She said this was the best gun she has ever shot. I would have never picked it out for her so that's why I say let them choose.

20. SlimKim

SlimKim

I think it's good if an experienced shooter gives advice but don't try to shove it down their throats.

I chose my first gun based solely on gunzines and took a bath on it. Would have appreciated having someone with experience who could have advised me.

On the other hand, try to force something on a woman and she'll very likely go against it just to spite you. Think about it, when was the last time your teenage daughter thought that you (or your wife) had a clue about ANYTHING?

Give advice, point out any mistakes they might make but, let them choose. And good luck to ya.