close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Selecting a LWD barrel for a G20sf

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DrtyHarry, Mar 29, 2010.

1. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

I thought about doing a long slide project with my 20sf, but decided to keep the stock slide and simply upgrade the barrel since I'll be shooting a lot of lead and hot DT hardcast rounds.

I was looking at LWD's site, they not only have a stock size and 6" barrel, but they also have a tactical length 5.15".

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1504

It fits flush with the extended G20T slide they sell, but protrudes out the front on the stock slide.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1499

My question is this. I can add a 5.15" barrel or the stock size 4.60". I'd like to know if I'm really getting a lot more with the extended 1/2"? Is it worth it if using the stock slide?

I'd rather not have the barrel coming out the front of the pistol primarily for cosmetic reasons (I just think it looks awkward) and I can also see damaging it because it will more than likely stick out of the holster. Worth it or not? Thoughts? Thank you guys.

DH

2. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

If the velocity change is what you're asking about, I've done chrono testing with the original G20 barrel compared to a 6" (Glock brand) hunting barrel. The velocity difference is not at all what I (or most people) hoped for. Using 165 grain Gold Dots from Double Tap, you only get about 30 FPS more velocity from the 6" barrel. Using Federal American Eagle ammo, the difference was about 45 to 50 FPS more for the longer barrel. I doubt an extra half inch of length makes a difference worth talking about.

One parting word on barrels: Check into KKM before buying a Lone Wolf.

http://www.kkmprecision.com/custom_pistol_barrels/home.php?cat=16

They are a little more money, but everyone who buys them raves about them, and that includes competition shooters. I own a two Bar-Sto's and a Lone wolf in addition to my Glock barrels, and when comparing the smoothness of the rifling, Lone Wolf is the bottom of the three. Bar-Sto is better than LW, but not as nice as the KKM's I've seen. KKM is what I'm buying from now on.

3. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Thanks for your reply! 30fps more on the 6"?? That sucks. So the only reason I see going to 6" is if the law tells you that you need 6" to hunt with. I'm saddened to see those numbers, I was expecting more to be honest. OK, so I'm going to scratch the extended barrel and go stock length.

I don't mind spending the extra $ on the KKM barrel, I just heard here on GT that some guys had some fitting issues with them and the barrels fit in there a bit too tight.

Brian, did you have to do any fitting to your KKM or have you heard of this issue? I think that I read the fitting issue over in the Ten Ring. Thanks for your help!!

DH

4. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

I've owned 1 KKM and about 5 LW barrels thus far at one point or another, the only one that gave me issues was the KKM barrel with the chamber being too tight.

LW is the best dollar for dollar IMO and their customer service is outstanding.

To each their own but the KKM barrel isn't going to do anything the LW does not.

YMMV :wavey:

5. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Yeah...this was my understanding from a few threads that I read. Ugh! :faint:

DH