close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Select xp installation to boot?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by charlisity, Nov 2, 2006.

1. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

I just re-installed XP Pro on a 160GB hard drive after formating it. When I boot, it asks me to choose which XP instance I want to boot with. I get to choose the older installation or the new one. The new one works like normal. Choosing the old instance gives me a message that this drive does not exist and lets me choose again.

Also, when the new instance of XP is running, it shows the 160GB drive as 125GB.

Does anybody know how to remove that XP boot choice step from the boot process or how to get my hard drive to read correctly?

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Did you install plain old Windows XP or do you have also have SP1 or SP2?I think one of service packs addresses the large drive(over 137 MB).There is also a free program from Maxtor but it's shouldn't matter the brand of your drive.

http://majorgeeks.com/Maxtors_Big_Drive_Enabler_d4998.html

You can reinstall/rewrite the master boot record so it should then only show one version of Windows.

3. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Did you Fdisk the drive first?

Second windows xp load to choose from, forget about it.

If it is a factory prepaired hard drive there may be a hidden partion with an image of the hard drive there for reloads or repairs for the Windows operating system. That partition will take up about that much space on your drive.

Did you load XP from a CD or DVD disk?

;) :supergrin: :thumbsup:

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup and Recovery - Settings

You can select the default OS settings and if necessary you can edit the bot.ini file ... here is an example of what should be in the boot.ini

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

In the above example the "s" between windows and [operating systems] should be attached to word window on the line above it, for some reason it will not display in a single line.

5. Sgt. Schultz

During the installation process a screen appears where you choose a drive and partition on which to install XP. For those familiar with prior Windows operating systems, this section of setup is equivalent to FDISK when a clean install is being performed.

Once the partition creation process has been initiated you are prompted for the size of the partition you want to create. If your system has multiple partitions you have the option of deleting any or all of them and then creating a single partition on which to install Windows. If you have an installation CD and you are certain there isn’t any data on the system you need you should delete every partition and create a single one.

6. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

I have the original version of XP. I deleted the two partitions that use to be there so I could install it on just one.

I'll try editing the boot file when I get home.
    Thanks for the help.

7. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

The web page says it works for Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and XP Service Pack 1. I have the original XP disk.

The original XP is what came with my computer but I have seen my hard drive as 160GB for as long as I can remember.

Would simply updating to the latest SP fix let me have my drive back?
    Maybe update to SP1 then run the maxtor program?

8. Sgt. Schultz

No.

I seem to remember that there is a disc size limitation with the original Windows XP that was fixed with the later service packs.

I recently had a clean install on a computer which had a 200 GB hard drive; this system also had two partitions. This customer wanted one large partition and his XP installation CD was an original version, before SP1. During setup I noticed that only 120 GB of space was available. I overcame this space limitation by creating a new installation CD for him and slipstreaming SP 2 into the disc.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

FYI: Besides Windows you can slipstream service packs into any version of Office.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I believe with Windows XP,SP1 is now required for Windows update to work.Depending how old the PC is you may not want SP2 but SP1 is useful.I think you might not be able to get SP1 through Windows update or any updates,until you download SP1 seperately and install it.Then Windows update should work.Don't download any drivers from Windows update and don't download SP2 just yet.There are still current security updates for SP1 without SP2.Do the updates manually not automatic,then you can choose.

10. Sgt. Schultz

While this is true how is it going to help him add the missing hard disc space to an existing partition?

He can slipstream SP1 into the XP installation CD. Also, I believe that most of the problematic security updates are not included in the service packs.

11. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

SP1 wil allow him to use the large drive enabler program.SP2 by itself may not be a problem but it does require more resources which may be limited in an older PC.A lot of other programs require updating or replacing to be compatible with SP2.Nero is one example of this.I have one older PC with XP and SP1 without SP2.It still gets security updates but they are slightly different ones than the ones I get on my PC with SP2.

12. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

13. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

14. Sgt. Schultz

Hey DC I think you're missing the issue here ... older versions of Windows XP (prior to 2002) have a native limitation of 137 GB supporting ATA interface disc drives. Windows XP will not create partitions greater than 137GB unless Service Pack 1 or higher is included in the installation CD/software. This is why I suggested he create a new installation CD and slipstream in the service pack. If he installs the SP after the fact he may be able to use the additional space, but only as another partition.

15. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Yup.

With W2K SP4 rollup will handle most needs but there are a considerable number of security fixes too.

Even with all the SPs for WXP there are many hotfixes and security pathes needed as well, kind of been that way from the beginning for the Windows OS

16. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Okay I see what you are saying.I think after installing the needed software that the rest of the drive could be used.

17. Sgt. Schultz

I agree and once he gets the OS installed using all of the hard drive space that’s available he can pick which updates\security fixes he wants to install.

18. Sgt. Schultz

How does any of that help him setup XP using the entire 160 GB hard drive? He can not utilize the entire hard drive for his primary partition unless SP1 is integrated into the installation CD. Installing the service pack after the fact will only allow him to use the unallocated space on the drive as a second partition NOT as a single partition.

I know that he could use some third party software to “stretch” any number of partitions into a single drive but the poster deleted two partitions and said that he wanted to be able to use all of the space available or as he put it “let me have my drive back”.

19. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

My sp2 disk is completed. Now to re-do the installation.