Sega Genesis

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by Timothy658, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Timothy658

Timothy658

My wife and I have been wanting one of these lately. How come these systems are so cheap? The games are also around a couple bucks a piece? Do these systems typically have any problems?

2. BLiTzNicK

BLiTzNicK Silent Member

Do a google search for "gens" ;)

You can thank me later.;f

3. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Cause they are a couple generations behind. And most people don't want them.

4. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

The Sega Genesis is a good system, with a reasonably large selection of games. I had hours of endless fun with a friend on one. They're dirt cheap because they're over a decade old now, like the original NES systems, among many other gaming consoles. :)

5. grenadier

grenadier

Very old system, but it was one of Sega's biggest success stories.

The Genesis arrived on the scene two years before Nintendo came out with their 16 bit system, back in the late 80's - early 90's. All of the other systems used 8 bit processors, and this was a significant improvement.

While the Genesis didn't exactly have the best of graphics (limited to 64 colors at one time), its strength was in the Motorola MC68000 processor, which ran at 8 MHz, and was leaps and bounds faster than the Super Nintendo's sub 3 MHz 65C02 processor. As a result, the Genesis was the best platform (at the time) for games that required a lot of sheer horsepower, such as the various sports games.

If you compared the Sega Genesis version of "John Madden Football" to its SNES counterpart, you'd notice that the Genesis ran the game smoothly, while the SNES was c-h-o-p-p-y (and that's being generous). While the SNES version had better color depth, and slightly sharper graphics, it was pretty much unplayable compared to the Sega version.

6. Timothy658

Timothy658

I think I may pick one of these systems up. Ive never owned one before, but have played them. That was a long time ago. Thanks for the replies

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Did they have any success, other than the Genesis? :)

A list of Sega's colossal flops..

Sega 32x
    Sega CD
    Sega Saturn(I think this has to be the biggest)
    Sega Dreamcast

I don't really remember the Master System, but I don't seem to remember it being much of a challenger to the regular NES system.

They did have that portable gaming system that while not as good as the Gameboy, was the only portable with color at the time... The name of it escapes me at the moment.

IGF

8. Timothy658

Timothy658

I know what you're talking about. A friend had one when I was younger. It went through batteries like nothing else

9. Rasco

Rasco Swollen Member

The only reason you should want a Sega Genesis NOW is if you had one in the past, like for nostalgic reasons.

It's an OLD game system. You won't be very impressed by it if you've ever seen a Sony Playstation or a Nintendo 64.

To be honest, you could probably pick up a used Sega DREAMCAST for pretty cheap.

Sega Genesis might as well be Atari at this point.

10. GroovedG19

GroovedG19 Laguna Blue AP2

I had one.It was called the Sega Game Gear.

11. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

I have all of the above mentioned Sega systems. Sure, they weren't big hits, but they still have some good games. They can be had for pretty good prices these days.

I have the Genesis, 32x, CDX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear and Nomad. I wouldn't think of parting with any of them.

And for the record, the color Atari Lynx was released a couple of years before the Game Gear. :)

DW

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That's right, forgot about that one.

I unfortunately owned all of Sega's legendary flops. Only one I got any real use out of, was the Saturn. Had some cool sports games for it.

Dreamcast was a joke, controller sucked, and the games almost all sucked(but that is where the 2k series got its start)...

IGF

13. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

The Dreamcast wasn't all THAT bad. I had fun playing Resident Evil: Code Veronica....ShenMue 1 and 2...Soul Calibur. I played so much PSO online it isn't funny.

DW

14. justin22

justin22

I may be wrong, but wasnt the 32x the first console that Doom was ever released on. Before that it was strictly on the pc.