Seems like pickup brass is all 9mm

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Rusty Gun, Nov 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Brass picker

For those on this forum that pick up brass... Like many of you, I have made a habit of collecting all my own brass and everything with in a reasonable distance in all directions from my station at the local range. I have collected buckets full of rounds of all calibers and currently have what might be a lifetime supply of brass in the calibers I shoot. But for some deep seated psychological reason I feel wasteful or even cheated unless I pick it up.

I have noticed a change in the mix of range brass over the last few months. Once I sort out my brass (it is marked) a very high percentage (like 97%) is 9mm. I understand the drivers like cost savings and the national swing toward the 9mm but it seems like percentage is much higher than it used to be.

Could be I am showing up after the 9mm guys just left, could be I am just noticing this because my 9mm bucket is way over full, it could be this is just my local indoor range. Is this observation consistent with brass collection in your area?

WeeWilly likes this.
  2. crockett

crockett

My range brass collection consists of about:

30% 9mm
    30% .223
    15% .40
    10% .45
    5% .380
    5% .38S
    5% all other

We need more 10mm, .380. .32 and .308 folks :)

WeeWilly likes this.

3. morgoth

morgoth

My Range would be around. (Pistol Range)
    Centrefire
    70% 9mm
    25% .38
    5% .357 Magnum
    There would be 20 x that in .22LR

4. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Brass picker

I see very few 22 LR and almost never see any .38/.357. The 3-4% that is not 9mm is .45 .380, or .223. Maybe I need to start going to a different range. The one I use now is a mile from my house and might draw a certain "urban" type shooter. Maybe the outdoor range would have a wider range of calibers.

crockett likes this.
  5. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

My range pickups at the outdoor club I belong to is about.

90% - 9mm
    5% - 380
    5% - 40 and 45

The thousands of 22LR cases scattered in the grass and gravel make finding other calibers a little difficult. Lately, a ton of people in our club are shooting 22LR. There is a covered concrete area to shoot from, but people just sweep their brass off the concrete into the surrounding gravel and grass.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Rusty Gun likes this.
  6. Mr. Don

Mr. Don

Nope. I shoot at a range in the sticks and 9mm is king here also.

7. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I'd say it's 40% 9mm
    30% 40s&w
    20% 45 acp
    10% other at my range.

8. Kentguy

Kentguy

I have never kept percentages... I just pick it up, sort it, clean it and put it away. I have a TON of brass but one of the reasons I still collect it is that I use it for barter with other. Sometimes it's better than money!
    Stock comes & goes depending on who and what i'm wheeling & dealing for. I was sitting on what I have until after the election... you know what I mean.
    .22's and really well used or damaged brass goes into a large bucket at the end of my reloading bench and when that gets full - off to my local scrap yard for some extra cash to buy more reloading stuff.

I't a crazy addition I tell ya...!

9. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

At the indoor range I get mostly 9mm and 45acp. The reason I think you get a lot of 9mm is it is cheaper than the other calibers and in some cases cheaper than shooting .22.
    My outdoor range when people leave, the range master is right there collecting any brass that the person left behind. So for me now days collecting range pickup is slim.

10. refugeepj

refugeepj

please.

I probably picked up 2,000 223's in the last two months. thanks!
    prepping it now.

crockett likes this.
  11. norton

norton

9mm is sometimes left on the ground by shooters at my outdoor club.
    .45 acp brass is almost never left on the ground, except when the local police use the range for quals or practice. They leave good .45 brass laying everywhere. Last week I was talking to the club care taker, he took me to his garage and gave me 200 pieces of Winchester .45 acp. Kindly left by the local constables.

crockett and Mr. Don like this.
  12. Bluescot

Bluescot

My shooting range is out in the desert with a few areas that seem to get a lot of use on the BLM land. When I go out there to test reloads or sight in a new rifle/pistol I patrol around and pick up what brass is available on the ground. Monday mornings seem to be the most productive.

I've gone out on some days and picked up 600+ cases and other days maybe 10-12 depends.

There is a lot of 9mm where I go but I also find .223/5.56 the next followed by .40 and then the .45ACP. Last time I was out I did find some .357Sig and left it as I didn't have a shooter in that caliber. I have found a lot of 30-06, .270, 308 brass starting about a month before the opening of the deer and elk seasons. Also found some .50AE brass and picked that up to take to a gun show for some barter.

13. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

The 9 is going like mad now, it's all over the place. I'm coming up on 35 gallons.

14. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

My buddy owns a local range where a get my brass at. Years ago when I first started, it was almost 50/50 volumetrically 9mm and .40. Today, it's 80/20. There has been a big shift away from the .40. .45 has always been light, but I believe not only are less people shooting it, but likely a higher percentage of .45 shooters reload, and thus pick up the brass.

The shift away from .40 sucks for me, as I tend to shot more .40 than 9mm in a given year.

WeeWilly likes this.
  15. Vodoun da Vinci

Vodoun da Vinci

We mostly shoot at an indoor range so my range pickup brass findings will be different. But I see (I'm guessing) about 25% .22, about 50% 9mm, and the remaining 25% split between .380, .38, .40, and .45.

I still find the occasional .32 acp, those big honkin' .50 cal handgun rounds, and .357 mag. but that's rare. Never have found any .44, .41, 10mm, or .45 LC.

VooDoo

16. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Brass picker

My brass collection is mostly in repurposed containers that where for peanut butter pretzels from Sam's club. They are about 6" square and 18" high. I can get about 1500 empty 9mm in each and because they are square they stack and store nicely. I have lots of these containers for each caliber and currently there are four of these full of 9mm.
    I have about 2000 rounds of .40 and that is what I shoot most. For some reason the glock 23 gen 3 seems to hit where I think I am aiming better than my other guns.

I am with you on this as .40 is also my primary shooter. Last time at the range to only .40 I picked up was mine.

17. fredj338

fredj338

Totally depends on where you shoot. The public range I shoot idpa at also gets a lot of LEO. So lots of 40, lots & lots of 40, then 9mm, sometimes 45.

18. Schrag4

Schrag4

I picked up a bucket of random brass from the local indoor range earlier this year. It was from their pistol range, and the biggest population by far was 9mm. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if memory serves, after sorting out steel and aluminum, there were about:
    • 3500 x 9mm
    • 700 x 40S&W
    • 700 x 45ACP
    • 400 x 380 (what I was hoping to find lots of)
    • a little over 200 9mak
    • 100-150 each of 38sp and 357mag
    • well under 100 of everything else
    There were quite a few oddballs in there, things I had never seen with my own 2 eyes. There was a 25auto case, which was crazy to look at since the primer was so huge in comparison (couldn't really read the tiny head-stamping). There were also these bottle-necked pistol cartridges, (maybe 7.62?), probably about 50, and what was notable was that each and every one of them was split at the case mouth.

I got it on a whim, mostly out of curiosity. At $125 per bucket, you can see by those numbers that it definitely wasn't worth my time to sort out, or at least that was the conclusion I came to.

19. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

One of the ranges I got to shoot at alot when I lived in SF was exclusively 40S&W and SPP 45 Auto. It was shared by two agencies and that is what they shot. I got to take all I wanted as they actually paid a guy to come in and take the brass away.

Another public range I shot at, but was frequented by a few local LE agencies started out heavy 40 and maybe 20% of that number 9mm. In the last year I was there, one of the agencies adopted 357 SIG, another 9mm. It was pretty evenly matched among those after that. Occasionally I would find a pile of 38spl, 38 Super/Comp, 357M or 44RM where a guy shot and then walked away and all the young ones would walk by wondering what the heck those strange cases were?

I too have all the brass I will ever use, I still pick up all I see that nobody is claiming. I always ask before sweeping. Nothing ticks me off more than a guy sweeping behind me. Well maybe ISIS ticks me off more, BUT JUST ISIS! :)

20. dudel

dudel

Get a large variety of brass at out range. On the rifle range, plenty of 223 and 308.

On the pistol ranges, 9mm, 380acp, 38Spl, 40, and 45acp. Some days one is more prevalent than the others; but no consistent caliber every day. There were times when I did not want 40, and came back with lots of 40 among the 9mm. Other times I wanted 40, but came back with lots of 9mm. I am finding more 300BO.

Sadly I don't find much 357Sig, 45GAP, 357Max or 22Hornet.